Nolly's new Cab day (Diezel/Engl/Orange/Blackmachine content = 56k-aids)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by PeteyG, Sep 15, 2008.

1. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

So I got a call yesterday from the Nollster inviting me on an epic quest eastward to try out and probably purchase a new cabinet, and how could I refuse! So a pretty pathetic picstory shall commenceth.

Loading up the van, with my Engl Invader and Nolly's Orange cab (for comparison and also to check out the contrast between mine and his sounds together) proved fun, and boosting our excitement!
    [​IMG]

And off we go!
    [​IMG]

Some time later, and after some expensive roadside M&S food, we arrive on the outskirts of London!
    [​IMG]

I took the opportunity of the long journey to wap out the laptop and work on some new RSF stuff
    [​IMG]
    Fuck you GP5!
    [​IMG]

Anywhoo, we arrive at the super secret location of the UK Diezel HQ, and go in for what is a surreal but pleasant experience of Cabinet A/Bing for a couple of hours,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the lovely Machine of Blackness having a lie down after being thrashed out a bit
    [​IMG]

Nolly was so satisfied that he then purchased a lovely, rear loaded Diezel 4x12, which is lush (it's the grey grilled one, but you'll see that later) and a flight case with it too.

And off home we set, here's a picture of the nice skyline on the same outskirts of London as mentioned before...
    [​IMG]

We stop for a snack after having to undercut a twat in a van who was hogging the outside lane, and as we're leaving the service station, who do we see leaving infont of us, none other than the dickwad lane hogger!
    [​IMG]
    Fuck you lane hogger!
    [​IMG]

Finally, the quest of epicness is over, and we get to unpacking the van
    [​IMG]
    Cue the obligatory photo opp
    [​IMG]

Finally (again) we struggle to get both cabs upstairs, and get everything setup, and here it is, the fruits of our (mostly Nollys) labour!
    [​IMG]

Expect better photos tomorrow, in day light, and a full review of it from Nolly himself. Hope you enjoyed!

Jogeta, ToupaTroopa, HAUCH and 16 others like this.
  2. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

3. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i hate nolly!!! :lol: you lucky bastard,

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

uh... oh..

:holy: :eek:

bout sums it up lol

5. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

Urgh i fucking hate you.

but on the other hand, how is James doin?

Im still looking to buy his diezel stuff when i win the lottery.

6. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Alright, ok.. Now the rig's complete.

For a bit.

James was on form yest. Such a lovely bloke, we were only meant to stay for half on hour or so, but it turned into nearly 2.

Oh, and remember those multi-guitar flightcases you liked the look of? He had one for his own guitars, said they were £2-300ish. First time I'd seen one in person, and they were very very cool, really neat and small.

7. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

Ah Wikked, Was it definately Scot Dixon Cases?

Coz cheapest i found it for was £400.

Ah Wikked, Was it definately Scot Dixon Cases?

Coz cheapest i found it for was £400.

8. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

However, Lozek says :fawk: to Nolly & Petey G because their cab comparisons slowed down his own recieving of brand new Diezel goodness.

There may however be a pic of me & Hairychris performing the JJ Maneouvre to a boxed up, German made cab very soon.

9. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

so, how does it compare to the orange? :)

10. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

It was definitely a Scott Dixon. To be fair, Jamie didn't sound too sure, just said it was in that ballpark. Perhaps £400 is the going rate.

Ah no way, was it you that Jamie was on the phone to? If so, we've manhandled your boxes first. Congrats dude, that's a fair bit of Diezelage!

Let's start with a story:

The day I collected my Blackmachine, I went to Doug's house, he handed me the guitar, plugged me into a VH4 and... WHAM. The sound was unlike anything else. I had to have a VH4.
    And so it went, I got the VH4, and while it sounds excellent, it was never quite like the sound I heard that day. I put it down to just being on a happy overload that day.
    But I've had it niggling for a while. I've found there's been this icepicky high that has been difficult to dial out, and more recently at rehearsal, found that the lower mids were particularly muddy, and really made me flounder in the mix.

New cab fixes all of that. The highs are prominent but not harsh - I can run my treble wayy higher than before, get lovely clarity and punch, but without bleeding ears. The lower midrange is defined and clear. The whole package is just so much more musical. Also, cleans are just unreal.

Interestingly, up until yesterday, I assumed the front-loaded cab was for me. As much as I wanted to prefer it, I just couldn't get away from how much better the rear-loaded sounded with the VH4. Perhaps with a Herbert it's a different story. You know that if you go in with a pre-supposition, and get convinced the other way, that you've made the right choice.

Also, the Orange is not a bad cab. Far from it. With the right amp, it's beautiful and musical in all the right ways. The VH4 is not that amp in my opinion. I'm keeping the Orange for the future - I can see myself getting a Cornford or similar at some point, and I imagine the combination with the Orange will be far more favourable.

Woo. Epic post.

11. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

Let me put it this way, I'm on the floor above Nolly, playing away, and I can easily hear every note, clearly, perfectly, whereas before it was more muffled coming through the floor.

12. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

awesome!

@Nolly: i heard from many guys alraedy that they prefer the rear-loaded with the VH4 but the front-loaded with the Herbert.

13. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    That was my opinion when andy tried out the VH4 and Herbert. But, also, weirdly, hearing the VH4 actually killed me wanting one which was weird, but understandable, as it's quite close to the UL in sound, but I prefer the UL.

If there was a diezel in my arsenal (and by their prices that's quite unlikely to happen) then it'd be a herbert.

14. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Yep, that was me. I already had one of his tour stock rigs, as the pallet was a little bit slower coming over than he anticipated, and didn't make it in time for our gig last week. After you guys went, he drove over to mine and we swapped the tour stock with my gear and then took it down to the studio.

Yeah, exactly what you've found is what we found, Herbert with Front loaded, VH4 with rear loaded. When we demo'd them, we had them hooked up the other way first of all and it sounded a little disappointing, then when we changed them over it was like the clouds had parted. I can't wait to hear mine, they're the first of the new German hand made cabs to make it into the country.

15. The-Zeronaut

The-Zeronaut SS.org Regular

can i be you?

16. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

i still have to try my VH4 through a diezel cab...

...i sense GAS :squint:

17. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

you aren't THAT far from Dillingen/Munich. :D

...and so am i, and i have serious gas for a new cab. :wallbash:

18. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Haha, yes, well, the less said about that the better.

It's all giving me horrific GAS for a Diezel cab but I can't justify the cash... :( It also looks like I'll get a chance to try Einie -> RL cab in a gig situation in a few weeks time (not next week, thank fuck, so I don't have Donk on my case) which won't help either!

19. Apophis

Apophis Banned

Congrats

20. LeoRSF

LeoRSF New Member

Can't wait to practice with that rig of doom in one ear, Petes in the other and my own almost causing me to prolapse. Fun times :D Sorry Sam, you are f**ked! haha. Well until he gets those triggers, maybe he will have half a chance :p

Nolly as always, i hate you and your flappy flaps :)