Noisy DI signal?

Drugo8989

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi!
I've already made a similar thread about this topic but since I solved some issues I'm making a new one just to be more accurate with the questions.
So I'm still struggling with static noise when recording guitar through my audio interface but I've made a good improvement by simply moving my PC away from my desk(now it's not that far but previously it was just under my "open desk" so my guitars were cathing a good amount of Electromagnetic interference).
In the last few days I've bought my first 7 string guitar(Ibanez) with a Bareknuckle Juggernaut pickup on the bridge(second hand btw but I think a luthier did a setup recently) and I was trying to record something just for fun(I just changed the strings and put a set of D'addario 10/56).
So in my(eternal)path to understand something about audio recording I've stumbled across the same "issues"(wich at this point could not be real issues):

1)general noise and strange vst sounds--->I've used the preset of Archetype Gojira just to make it fast and basically the first obvious issue is the hum with 0 noise gate(wich goes away at least with the noise gate at 40) and so the first question is : is it normal to increase the noise gate that much(even with other vst amp sims)?
I'm looking for a DI box maybe or maybe something to defeat a possible ground loop or an abnormal electrical interference maybe picked up by my audio interface connected to the PC) but I'd like to have more more clues about the issue before buying something.....

The second issue(if there are no major troubles in the "audio interface DI signal recording"stage) is the audio editing or the removal of the noise of the fingers or of the palm muting(I get this strange noise when the palm muting is "ending") or I don't know maybe the strings ringing behing the nut---> are those normal noises to deal with by editing them or maybe should I try to get rid of them for the most part in my playing.

In the audio examples I really did some takes only to make you listen to the issues so I was not focusing on playing well but a certain amount of noise is alway there(with gate under 20 I'd say).

2)maybe strange DI waveform shapes--->I've downloaded some DI guitar from URM academy website and just trying to record my DIs of those songs they seemed really "different"(with more spikes in the bottom of area of the zero crossing) but I think it is really just me having too much imagination :)

I attach a Google Drive link for anyone willing to help me(I can "buy someone a coffee" via Paypal if someone wants to help me by messaging me privately).
I recorded everything in studio one at 48.000 khz 32 bit audio at 512 samples in my babyface pro fs(wich takes the power from my pc so I have no power adapter(at least yet)) so a lot of latency(but it only affects a little bit in my experience the speed of the noise gate but not that much I hope).
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I hope someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Google drive Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iGenDmpwt3QRoY9-t3GvgREEDXMlKl9S?usp=sharing

(the numbers are the amount of noise gate used:see pictures)
(a direct input folder with only DIs is included)
(4 pictures with: noise gate values / "strange noisefloor" issue with the channel with inputs disabled/ DI waveform shape)

keeprocking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my opinion the DI is fine - it's not clipping, peaks are around -6db. There's just one issues that I noticed - the strings behind the nut are ringing. To eliminate that noise, put some plastic foam under them and you're done.

Also, you don't need a separate DI box (especially given you're using a Babyface Pro FS) as long as your interface can handle the signal without clipping.
What you actually need is to dial back the input level in the plugin just a bit. This is what I got using the Granophyre almost on default settings with about 6db of reduction (so that the peaks are -10..-12db) before the plugin:

Amp sims (depends on the sim, of course) usually expect the lower signal than -6db peaks: about -18db RMS and -12db peaks, but sometimes you would want to push them a little bit harder. With Neural DSP ones I usually dial the input level back to have some clarity and then compensate with the gain knob and output volume.