Noiseless Single Coil Neck Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Albake21, Aug 17, 2020.

1. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

Last I remember, you could order all single sized Dimarzios with or without the strat/flush baseplate.

2. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

Check the Lindy Fralin split-blades. Pretty much noiseless (with the appropriate installation) without losing the single coil character that is required.

3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I've known about Lace for years, but I've never tried any of their pickups before. I wouldn't really know what to try from them, although they do sell used relatively cheap on Reverb.

I'm not really a fan of EMG anymore, although I was considering giving Fishman a try with their single coil in the neck.

I'll have to do some research on that, if that's true it would really open up my options because I feel like Dimarzio has a couple options that would suit my needs.

4. Albake21

Also wanted to add. I sent an email off to Dimarzio about the baseplate and an email off to the Seymour Duncan custom shop asking about getting one of their humbuckers made in a single coil form factor. I noticed they have the Invader available in a single coil style so if I could get something like a Sentient in a single coil size, that would be perfect!

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

6. Albake21

Personally never been a fan of Kiesel's pickups. Some good and bad news. Bad news is, the Seymour Duncan custom shop is not accepting any orders right now since they are backed up from closing for a few months. The good news is, Dimarzio does have an option to get any of their single coils in a "no-flange" option. I guess that's what they call it. Now to figure out which one to get... I was thinking maybe the Cruiser, but I'm not sure.

Zhysick and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

If you want a very stratty tone the Cruiser, if you want very stratty but with more output the Fast Track 1, if you want fatter than a single coil the Chopper...

But it's easy: check some vids, there are tons of them out there and specially if you are thinking about the Cruiser you have half of Timmons discography... Until I saw a video I thought he was using real single coils...

Albake21 likes this.
  8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Some make knock it due to the cheap price, but I have. GFS Neovin 9 that I think does a great job.

Edit: Apologies, just realized that you need one without the flange.

9. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

I'm looking at an SA-X or S-X set for an HSS setup, any insight on either?

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

The SA is alnico magnet, which would be my choice. The X versions are the supposed equivalents to the 18V mod. David Gilmour's Pulse era tone is the best showcase of an EMG SA you can have.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  11. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

@Emperoff I run them at 24v anyways, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond. Alnico is definitely the way to go for neck single coils, IMO.