Noiseless Single Coil Neck Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Albake21, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Hey everyone, I recently received my Aviator Blackbird 6 which I absolutely love. That is, besides the neck pickup (BKP Cobra). I've never had an HS guitar before, but I figured I'd give it a shot since I typically only use a neck humbucker in coil split mode for cleans. Well... I'm not really a fan of having only a single coil in the neck mainly because of the noise. I can't stand the Cobra for leads and unfortunately it's not noiseless like I initially thought it was. I know pretty much nothing about single coil pickups. I've seen there are many single coil sized humbuckers, but those all seem to sound muddy and way duller compared to the full size. As for normal single coil pickups, I noticed some are noiseless which is what I'm guessing I'd want, but I really don't know what to choose.

Of course though, it couldn't be that easy. The routing for my Aviator only fits single coil pickups with a backplate in the shape of just the coil. I don't know what it's called, but I've noticed that most single coil pickups have a backplate with a part for grounding that sticks out of the top/bottom. For the Cobras though, and my routing, this is not there. In other words, this drastically limits my options, doesn't it? I'll post a pictures below of what I mean.

[​IMG]

Zhysick likes this.
  2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I would try the Duncan Little 59. As its bigger brother the highs are there so it's not dark... maybe the lows are a bit too present but you can always lower that side of the pickup and all that things. What's good about this pickups is that while it is in serial mode it's thick, fluid and very "humbucker" alike (is not going to sound like a real humbucker, you know that, but quite thicker and with a lot less snap than a single coil, no twang at all) so for arpeggios, fast runs with tons of distortion is a GREAT neck pickup. If you need a twangy, snappy tone for cleans or bluessy/funky things just use it in parallel... it's the closest thing to a single coil you can get in a noiseless configuration in my experience.

I have tried the bridge version in the neck (for higher output) and it was a bit too much, difficult to control the gain and the highs. It is a very loud pickup by itself so you don't need to use the bridge version in the neck to pair it even with a high output bridge pickup. If you would prefer a darker and middier pickup you could get the JB Jr but the parallel tone is not going to be as close to a single coil, in fact, is just far away.

If someone is wondering:

Little 59 = Cool Rails (under the bolts of the 59 there are rails, that's the main difference, looks like there is a small difference in DCR)
    JB Jr = Hot Rails (same thing)
    Duckbucker = Vintage Rails (this are actual clones except for the rails/bolts thing) -> Little59/CoolRails but in parallel and with the splitted rails.

So, a Little 59 in parallel is basically a Duckbucker.

Albake21 likes this.
  3. Albake21

A little 59 was basically where I ended up too. That is, until I saw some soundclips of it and was really turned off by how muddy it sounded. From what I can tell though, that really seems to be my only option. I guess I'll try to look around and find a used one so I can try it for myself. Thank you!

Zhysick likes this.
  4. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Crash Dandicoot and Zhysick like this.
  5. Albake21

Unfortunately I don't think I can because of the backplate being different.

6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Take in consideration that most (or all) of those soundclips that you have heard are using 250k pots. With 500k it will open up a lot and the low end won't be as muddy as you might think, even thou, it's bass heavy but I never found it muddy, the highs are very very present and cut thru really well, very fluid... I quite like it as a neck pickup, I wound't mind if it had less bass response for sure.

I recommended him the Little 59 instead of a stacked single coil because he said he cannot stand the Cobra for leads and he was using only the neck humbucker splitted for cleans so I understood he was using the neck humbucker in series for leads that's why I recommend a pickup that has nice humbucker qualities in series for a fluid neck humbucker lead tone and nice qualities as splitted or parallel for the single coil (ish) clean sounds.

If I am wrong asuming that about the humbucker in the neck for leads then it's true that there are better options out there for noiseless single coils with real single coil sound that you could use in the neck for clean arpeggios...

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

You might contact BKP and/or Seymour Duncan and ask if any or all of their noiseless singles are available with that style of backplate in place of the normal trapezoidal shape. I'd bet at least BKP could do it since they made the Cobra that's in the guitar now.

It may have to be a custom order, but at least you'll get a better range of options to choose from :2c:

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

bkp doesn't make any noiseless single coils.

Anderson makes some. although none of them are going to be as hot as the cobra.

If the noise is the only thing that's bothering you..you might try something like the suhr ildritch which is a dummy coil that will cancel the noise of the coil.

9. Albake21

This guitar is setup to have only the bridge pickup be split able, the neck is just the neck. What I meant was that normally when I have a guitar with a humbucker in the neck, I use it mainly in a split mode for cleans. I decided for this guitar to cut out the middle man and just put a single coil in the neck so it's always ready for nice cleans. Stupid mistake thought because now I wish I had that humbucker lead tone for the neck. So basically I'm trying yo find a middle ground pickup even if that's just a noiseless single coil that can give me both good cleans and tight (not twangy) lead tones.

I did buy a lil 59 yesterday for cheap just for the hell of it. It threw in a low offer on Reverb and they accepted it. Still want to experiment with this guitar and try other single coil pickups until I find something I for sure like.

Like what @diagrammatiks said, I don't think BKP sells any noiseless single coils. On the other hand though, I'll definitely get in contact with Seymour Duncan and see if they can make something custom for me. I know I even saw someone post a single coil black winter before which really peaks my interest. Thanks for the suggestion, didn't even think to ask their customs.

Searching online for Suhr ildritch gives me no results besides aldrich signature pickups. What exactly is it?

Zhysick likes this.
  10. diagrammatiks

man so many made up words that are close to another.

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hum-canceling-systems/

this thing.

The lil 59 is already in slim housing so that's good. some other people make slim housing pickups as well.

The biggest problem is that if you like the output of the cobra there is going to be no other noiseless single coil maker that is going to do something that hot standard.

11. Albake21

Huh interesting. I almost find it hard to believe that a cavity cover will remove noise, plus $250! That's way too much, I'd rather spend that money experimenting with pickups. You're probably right about the output of the Cobra, that's why I came here to see if anyone knew of a noiseless single coil close enough to the Cobra, unfortunately I don't think it exists.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

lace sensors are all noiseless iirc

Zhysick likes this.
  13. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Not exactly noiseless in the same way of a humbucker (don't use two coils in opposite winding direction) but noiseless or at leas very much so. Also the hotter lace sensors are made to be used for far bridge singing Strat sounds so in a neck position... I doubt it will give a nice sound for cleans not even defined enough for leads with high gain but that's just me assuming things. I have only tried a blue in the neck and was nice but that's more vintage...

Ok, I assumed you used your humbucker neck in series for leads but you wanted to try if a hot single coil could work for both. I assumed wrong!

Anyway, if you can split the bridge humbucker because you have a push/pull or a miniswitch you can wire the neck humbucker there as well without much hassle to split a neck single-coil-sized humbucker also. But if what you want is to precisely avoid having to use the split switch or whatever then... Try the little 59 in the two noiseless configurations (series and parallel) and if one of both works good for you then that's a win.

If the primary point is to have nice clean arpeggios with a do gle coil quality I would look for something hotter but single-coil-ish enough like a DiMarzio FastTrack1 or Cruiser (Andy Timmons tone)

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

If there's one thing pretty much all lace pickups are good at, it's cleans. The blue sensor or emerald would be prob be a pretty good fit tbh.
    Check out these sensor comparison vids:

Zhysick likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

not a huge market for noiseless singles...in a slim case, that's high output, for metal.

lots and lots and lots of single coil sized hum buckers tho.

Albake21 likes this.
  16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, they but if you are looking for a lace sensor as hot as a bkp cobra you have to look at the lace sensor red and I think that is going to be too fat for the neck position. It was designed to fatten up a bridge Strat position to sound as close as to ahumbucker as possible without going humbucker sized... That's what I meant. Normally when you put a super hot fat bridge in the neck is going to be dark and probably even muddy in the thicker strings... Just talking from experience with other pickups not this one in particular so I'm not saying it is like this but there's a chance this could happen with this lace sensor also.

17. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Are EMGs an option? Their SA line sounds pretty fucking good, although you'd obviously have to change the bridge pickup as well.

You could send an email to Adam at Elysian Pickups. I'm not sure if he's into noiseless but it's worth a shot. Form factor won't be a problem that's for sure.

I was going to recommend those, but OP's problem is that those don't fit as they have a triangle baseplate.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Zhysick likes this.
  18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Double post, please delete.

19. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I forgot about the baseplate... doh!