No question is a stupid question: How to drill neck holes?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WhoThenNow7, Jan 22, 2015.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

I just aquired a brand new Ibanez Komrad20 neck to put on my RG7321..

Not sure exactly how to drill the holes to put it on- I should clarify; I know how to drill holes, just not sure about what size drill-bit to use, or how to go about it- I've never done this before.

I googled around and while there's some good information, I gotta say I trust this forum more than anywhere else. I'd greatly appreciate anyone who could help me out!

blckrnblckt likes this.
  2. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

There are plenty of ways to get this job done, depending on which tools you have access to.

The cheap/quick method is to hold the neck in the pocket (either by hand, or use light clamping with protection between jaws and guitar woods), while making sure it is seated nice against all surfaces and isn't crooked or leaning to the left/right.
    You can use a pencil/pen/sharp metal point to mark the location where to drill.
    Stick you marking tool through the holes in the neck pocket and make a point in the center of each hole.

Now you can remove the body and see exactly where you need to drill.
    Now mount/clamp the neck, fretboard down, with a towel/foam or some form of protection between the board and table surface, and between the neck wood and your clamping device.

I'm not sure which size drill bit to use, it will depend on the size of screws you are using. If you can't find a definitive answer, you can use a chunk of similarly dense wood and drill holes of every bit you think it might be and try screwing into each one until you find the one that isn't too tight or too loose.

Measure how deep the Screwholes in the body pocket are (from inner neck pocket surface to the surface the screwheads will rest on, either the back of the body or the flat inner part if countersunk), and subtract this from the length of your screw, this "Length" will give you an idea of how deep you need to drill to be deep enough for the screw but not too deep. Starting from the Tip of the drill bit, measure this "Length" and mark it by wrapping a piece of tape around the bit, this will act as your depth-stop.

Focus on keeping a steady level hold on the Drill and plunge down into the neck until the tape depth-stop starts to rub against the neck wood (I usually go 1mm deeper than the marker to give the screw a bit of clearance when maxed). Continue drilling the rest of the holes and you should be ready to test fit.

3. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info! Great help.. I'll be sure to let you and everyone else know how it turns out! It'll be posted as a "New" guitar day!