No Man's Sky is actually awesome now

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 28, 2018.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Seriously, if you were like me and bought the game at launch and was super disappointed, fire it up now. The newest update, NEXT, may as well be No Man's Sky 2. Actually have to respect Hello Games for not just abandoning it. Third person option for both on foot and flying, an in-depth character creator, true four-player co-op, animal AI and interactions are vastly improved, a major overhaul of all the mechanics of the game....it goes on and on. If you want a space exploration game, NMS is actually what we were promised now.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was talking about this with one of my Destiny clanmates last night, I'm waiting for him to redownload it and check it out. I really want to get into this game, and it seemsike a good chill out game when I last played it.

3. QuantumCybin

A chill out game is one of the better ways to describe it. Plus, the art design of the game is beautiful. Just a really pleasing game to look at.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

I wanted this game to be good at launch, I really did. However, I managed to avoid getting burned by it because I was super-skeptical that it would deliver, which turned out to be well-founded. I do have to give credit to Hello Games for sticking with it and not abandoning the game to the shovelware heap of history. However, the fact remains that they're only making the game now how it should have been all along, and in fact how it was advertised to be prior to release. As this still feels to me like a "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" type of situation, I'm not ready to jump in at this time.

cwhitey2 and QuantumCybin like this.
  5. QuantumCybin

Oh yeah, they were totally stupid and fucked up for essentially falsely advertising what the game was going to be. If you have a PS4 and don't want to give HG the money for their fuck up, but still wanted to play the game, I've seen used copies at gamestop for $10 :lol:

6. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Couldn't agree more.

7. KanoraK

KanoraK SS.org Regular

This game is the perfect example of how selling a videogame works nowadays : find a concept, promise loads of undoable features, generate hype around the game, take the money from preorders and release the game half finished. At least, they really try to deliver what they promise but imo the evil is done... The gaming world being constantly changing, most people have already sold their game and moved on...

QuantumCybin likes this.
  8. QuantumCybin

Definitely agree that the whole "early access" phenomenon has done more harm than good.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Every gaming phenomenon has done more harm than good, DLC, Season Passes, Loot Boxes, Early Access. Consumers are way too quick to jump into what companies offer and they see that as a green light to do more of it, so we end up getting more and more games that end up with a lifetime similar to NMS. Early hype, dramatic loss of player base and then more time spent in development to cling it's last few thousand players for as long as possible.

I got lucky and requested a refund on Steam within minutes since it was running at sub 10fps for me. But yeah Sean Murray is a terrible liar and I'll never put money in his or their wallet no matter how many updates this thing gets.

KanoraK likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

i might check it out, but I think i'll try and grab it on sale.

11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Find a used copy, the update is free, and then they don't get any money from you.

12. KanoraK

KanoraK SS.org Regular

We should go back to basics... consume video games the way we used to. I think the reason everything collapsed is that there will always be a critical mass of players willing to spend their money on features that should have been in the game in the first place.
    People want to feel privileged... that's why they are ready to give their money for early accesses, DLCs and stuff...

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think I've said this before on other threads, but people who make games don't really like these models any more than consumers do, but we're kind of stuck with it. Because people don't like to pay for things. And because the expectations of what you get when you buy a game are incredibly high now. We can't really go back to just consuming games like we used to, since games are not the same products they used to be. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I'd imagine that maintaining the servers to keep games running as services is not cheap by any stretch - on top of the investment that went into development of the game itself. That money has to come from somewhere, otherwise the games die.

I'd love to rewind the state of games by a good 15 years or so and go back to one-off single player experiences, buuuuuut I don't see it happening any time soon.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Sure, but the current practices to monetize a purchase after the initially entry ticket is insane. Or if you're going to do it take a page out of Fortnite's book and monetize your optional content and make the base game free. There are a million ways to do it, but early access/loot boxes is just a very simple way to take advantage of a customer base. We don't have to revert, we just have to change how things are now.

I'm just getting over this Destiny 2 Season Pass I bought, and the fact that I have to buy a new expansion to join my friends even though they sold the Season Pass saying all content would be included with the pass.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't disagree with you, but there's no obvious way forward, unfortunately. It's easy enough to come up with a model that would be accepted by gamers, or by publishers, or by investors, or devs, etc., but it's a much bigger problem to find a model that *everyone* would be onboard with. That's not counting whether or not the model even works.

16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Indeed, it's ultimately the people with the money (publishers) who make these decisions, and they'll always come down on the side of whatever distribution model makes them the most money.
    No, because the point isn't simply to deprive Hello Games of revenue. It's to send a message saying that the whole enterprise of what they did is unacceptable. I don't care if the game turns into Half-Life 3; until they do something that acknowledges all the frustration and wasted time of the people who bought their product in a meaningful, tangible way, I'm not playing.

Will they ever get heed or even get that message? Highly unlikely. Am I tilting at windmills? Most definitely. But there it is.