No Love For 3 Channel Rectifiers

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BadSeed, May 31, 2021.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Until now. I've owned and sold more of the 3 channel rectifiers, dual and triple, than I can count.

I never bonded with them. They always just felt so scooped in comparison to the 2 channel models. I recently got this 3 channel triple rectifier for a decent price, not expecting much, as I had just sold my 3 channel dual a month ago and couldn't stand it.

I know rectifiers tend to vary in tone, but wow. This one sounds much better than I remember the others. Much more present in the mids, no hollowness. The modern mode is always scoopy on these ones, but it's actually bearable to me on this particular one.

I bought it to turn it around, but was super inspired by the tones, and decided to make a playthrough of it.

DielonKilo, LCW, Kyle Jordan and 3 others like this.
  2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Is it a reborn?

3. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

No sir, just a regular 3 channel.
    I have a multi-watt as well and I prefer the multi watt to this one still, but this particular one sounds killer.

budda likes this.
  4. Modus_Operandi

Modus_Operandi SS.org Regular

I'm not normally a fan of the 'standard' Recto sound - but that has some lovely chunk and girth to it - without being too saturated. Can see why some bands such as He Is Legend, and Primitive Man swear by Mesa stuff - thanks for the amp vids, gives a great flavour of many amps that might not be that easy to come by / pricey here in the UK. *doffs cap*

5. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

I actually sold my triple MW years ago and don't miss it. Overall was too bright for my liking. Got a 3 channel Dual and absolutely love it. Its one of my never sell amps

6. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

I've got a 3 Channel Triple Rec myself and I find it's taking more time to dial in and achieve it's best than the Mark IV I also have. Having spent a good hour today with it at decent levels, I've found some awesome tones. I'm starting to like it more than my Mark IV, I think. It's an absolute beast.

And I love the tone you got at 15:54!

7. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Great demo. I’ve always preferred the Triples over the Duals.

Really enjoyed you showcasing how the amp responds to how hard you play.

c7spheres and BadSeed like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

My biggest amp-related headache was a 2001 Triple Recto. Tried for months and months and I could only get an "okay" tone for my taste. Sold it, got a Mark III and IV and was significantly happier. :lol:

later on tried a Single Recto and honestly got a better tone with that than I could the Triple.

It actually confused me because I heard all these great tones with a Recto, then going back and checking out rigs... they all used 2-channel Rectos. :lol:

c7spheres likes this.
  9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I have a pre MW 3 channel dual and I think it sounds great. I don't get all the hate for them . but each their own.

Over the years have def gravitated towards orange modern for high gain .red modern is too much presence . I actually usually have red on raw for a drive sound

I bought mine new just before the MW came out, I didn't know they were coming and I literally bought it few weeks before, so its probably the last revision before they released MW

I think the clean channel sounds great .and after doubting it for years due to the stories out there, I came to accept my effects loop works perfectly fine .not sure if mine is different design due to upcoming MW's but I cant fault it.

I can only figure that some of the earlier 3 channels are different to mine due to the stories.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    c7spheres likes this.
  10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I had a non-reborn 3-channel Triple Rectifier for a few years and could never quite get it to do what I wanted, even with a boost. I eventually traded it away and came to realize I'm more of a Mark/5150/tight/middy amp kind of guy in general, so it wasn't anything wrong with the amp design itself, you know?

It definitely sounds good here! The treble at 0 trick was what I did a lot of the time, plus an OD-808 in front. I'd be curious to try a Multi-Watt Dual one of these days :idea:

11. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

Now that I own Marks, there's no going back lol

c7spheres likes this.
  12. Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd SS.org Regular

Till a couple of weeks ago I had a triple channel dual rec. I think I had a good one tonewise, everyone else who heard it said so too. But the parallel effects loop was a pain in the ass. I could only run one pedal in kill dry mode. And without kill dry I didn't like most pedals.

I always ran it on orange channel, vintage mode. I think vintage mode is a hidden gem.

13. Choop

Choop n______n

My old 3 channel dual recto was usually on the orange channel as well. I would use modern mode quite a bit -- it seemed less compressed and scooped versus the red channel. Honestly I liked my 3 channel recto fine, but I do think after owning a 2 channel that I prefer the 2 channel over the old 3's.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had a Mark 3 and a Triple Recto, and kept the Triple Recto. I like Mark's, but it always sounded like 1994. I just got bored of that smooth tight tone.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I did the bass suck mod to mine so that the loop is more transparent, but I decided to leave it parallel. I considered converting to serial, but I like the parallel loop. I have some rack units that sound better with a parallel mixer, so the amp saves me from having to run the mixer.

BadSeed likes this.
  16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Orange channel vintage all day every day. Fuckin loved that tone from this amp. Hardly ever enjoyed the red channel, and the green channel had some good tones in there but a very narrow niche

Didn't see a point keeping it since the FM3 apes the Recto tone so well and the Stiletto is pretty much orange channel vintage except a trillion times better so I finally let my Recto go after six or seven years of ownership. Do agree though, 3 channels get way too much hate. They're still one of the better tube amps out there... maybe the best 3 channel tube amp for the money.

Spicypickles and Guitarmiester like this.
  17. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I miss my old 3 channel Recto. Another vote for orange channel in vintage mode. I remember several occasions where other bands were surprised to find out I was using a Recto. Red channel on modern was pretty much assumed and all people knew and expected.

I've always liked He Is Legend and weirdly never looked into their rigs. The last time I saw them live they were using a PRS Archon. That was a few years ago.

18. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Throwing my hat in the orange/vintage. Fat as hell but still tight, fills a room with sound

BadSeed likes this.
  19. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Sounded thrashy like one would expect. Does it have stock Mesa tubes? Were you using a boost and how high was the Master?

BadSeed likes this.
  20. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

I thought the multi-watt and Reborn were the same thing?