No Desire to Drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SenorDingDong, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I used to hate seeing the trailer trash of society on the bus in Ottawa, but now I enjoy it. It's a sport, a people-watching sport. I know I'm barely above the trailer trash when it comes to the amount of money I make, but at least I know I WILL NEVER OWN CROCS or dye my hair bright blue and pink.

I never got my driver's license when I lived back in Denmark. My dad never did either, and he raised 3 kids. My wife got her license in Canada when she was 18 but always hated driving. We're the only couple we know of who don't have a car, or ever plan on owning one.

In regards to the points made by SenorDingDong: You made the point about cars in this thread the way I never could. Have some rep!

2. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

If I could get away with walking or riding a bike everywhere, I would.

Sadly, I'm just not in that position.

3. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

I've never gotten into the whole luxury/sports car thing. For me, as long as it looks decent, I'm fine with it.

I hate how polluting they are but they really do become a necessity for some people. Lugging gear, groceries, picking up friends or family when they really need you to, getting somewhere asap because of an emergency, etc. There's tons of reasons to have one.

But getting sick rims, over-the-top sound systems, etc has never been my thing. If someone likes that stuff, that's cool, I just never got into it so I understand senior there. However, if you rely on the bus, their schedule will dictate when you do things and that's kinda annoying. I always use to have to take it and when they're late, it sucks. Biking and walking is cool. I always walk if my destination is close by; saves gas. However, a 10 min drive can be an hour walk. And biking is awesome, but you can't lug anything.

Cars are not necessary all the time but they are definitely practical and efficient.

People can be super lazy though. I love walking when I have the time and I know people that would drive 1 min up the street just to go to the store or some corny shit. Shit, I know people who gasp when I tell them I took a 20 min walk somewhere. lol

4. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

I work on automobiles for a living. I was driving a 55 GMC pickup on the farm at age before I was a teen. I've got a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I love the freedom of being able to fill up my tank and go down to the local 7-11 or drive 17 hours and go to the 7-11 on Sunset in Hollywood if I want to. Emerica...

5. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

I moved to a very calm city and the public transport is pretty good (except at nights), so I think i'll stick to it, also, I love watching the ocean while listening to music on the bus :wub:

But, I would love to have an old, used Mitsubishi Eclipse, mostly for recreational use, emergencies, and because I was a car enthusiast even before I was into guitar :lol:, and I think I would have enough will power to don't use the car for everything, I hate when someone on my family insist on going to buy grosseries at a store that is only 15 minutes on foot or something similar

edit:

also, how can someone say no to this?

[​IMG]

6. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

Im in the process of learning to drive atm, I didn't get my learners License until i finished high school.. (3 years late)

I didnt wanna pay for the bus to uni so i started biking whether dependant (22kms there and back home)..

I see a car as freedom, not having to use mum and dad as a taxi, getting more hours at work (late night and deliveries), being able to get to primary schools weekly has part of my teaching degree..

But ive never really been into cars, my close mates that i have now are in love with the 50's music and hotrod wise. Ones rebuilding a 32 model a couple and the other was doing a 31 roadster(i think) but has recently switched to a phatom, which is cool and ive kinda gotten into mainly for the reason that the guys have restored something to its former glory

I wanna get an early 80's mini though, mainly for the fact that there small, nimble (basically a go kart with a box on top) low maintenance and that there cheap as fuck to run..

7. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Also, most chicks probably don't dig that you don't have a ride, and if they want to go out with you they have to drive to take you somewhere.

8. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I'm not taking an issue with either. Again, I used the word "stupid" simply because I have no better word to describe my feelings. I simply don't understand the appeal of spending tons of money on a fast moving car that is supposed to look "sporty" or "classy." I don't even think it's a status symbol for some; they just want a very fast moving car so they can drive moronically fast in public areas.

I don't live in a downtown area, I'm not single but I don't have any kids, so you get 1 and 1/2 out of 3.

9. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

?

When I go on dates it's almost always in the city, where driving a car is the last thing you would ever want to do. In fact I went on a date last night in Manhattan. I've never once asked my partner for a ride. She knows I don't own a vehicle. The reason she does is because she works so far out of town. She hates driving.

I think some people have totally missed the point; my main reason for this thread wasn't to challenge the need of cars. I just wondered if I was the only person who had no desire to own a vehicle.

People are posting as if I questioned the necessity of cars. I did not. I gave my opinions on them, sure, but I didn't say, "Cars are useless." I'm not so naive or hung up on my opinion as to think that some people go without. I'm lucky enough to be able to.

Things like that have no appeal to me. I don't find driving very fast to be fun. In fact it is one of the reasons I dislike certain people who own cars so intensely. I understand that the video involves a closed track, and features a professional driver, but there are idiots who try and drive like that in public, in places where children and the elderly consistently have to cross the street. Certain people, especially teenage boys, treat their two-ton vehicles like toys and often put other people in danger because they think it's "exciting."

10. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I tihnk the "freedom" aspect of driving people are referring to is the ability to go where you want, when you want. Sure, you can go anywhere you want without a car (since you live somewhere where that's possible, though many Americans don't), but that when is an issue, too. I haven't driven in nearly a year, and I don't miss the added expenses at all, but as cheap and convenient as Korean public transit is, I can't help but wish I had a car when I'm standing at the bus stop waiting for a bus that's twenty minutes away. When you have a car, you don't have to plan your outings around when and where public transportation is running, or when one of your friends is able to pick you up. It's all you, and it can be pretty great.

That said, I do kinda like living somewhere where public transportation is cheap and readily available. Even cabs are pretty cheap here.

11. Ckackley

Ckackley SS.org Regular

People mention freedom.. How about being free from a car payment, insurance, mechanic bills, oil changes, ect ? If I lived in an area that I could get by without a car I'd do it in a second. I could buy a new NICE guitar every other month with what I spend on owning a car. I LOVE to drive, but I love other stuff too and wouldn't put the amount of money into those things as I do a car.

12. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Motorbike.

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Thanks for clarifying. I don't want to spend money on vehicles myself, I simply have to given where I live - I'd much rather put the money into guitar and recording gear.

I can't blame the car for where or how how fast its being driven - that blame lies squarely on the moron behind the wheel. But I'm with you; every time I drive I see people not paying attention due to text messages, putting on makeup, blasting through stop signs/lights like they're not even there, etc. In short, people who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Not quite as close as I thought, but I'm tempted to claim 2 1/2 out of 3 just because the New York area is so unrepresentative of almost everywhere else in the country in terms of the available transportation options. :lol:

14. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Still have my license, but haven't driven since the mid-90's. All the money involved in a car is always better allocated to musical matters IMO. Mind you, if I lived in the country, I'd be singing a different tune. But it is an interesting topic, in the sense that at one time in recent history, cars were a bit of a status thing, but I was just reading an article in the paper about the kids nowadays avoiding the whole thing, car ownership just isn't what it once was. I suppose it's for the best in terms of curbing emissions, just don't tell that to Oshawa or Detroit.

15. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

I live in the other London (England). Public transport is so good that at the age of 26 I've still never learned to drive. I live a ten minute walk or a three minute bus ride from the nearest underground station, and after a thirty minute train journey my place of work is less than a five minute walk away. Anywhere I might go for a night out is within an easy walk of a tube station or bus stop.

Even seeing my parents is easier accomplished by public transport than by car, and one of them lives in Paris!

I need to get a car eventually, just to expand my possibilities for employment and music - transporting amplifiers or double basses by public transport is a pain in the arse. I'd probably get something boring with plenty of space and good mileage - the car as a hobby doesn't really do it for me.

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

If you don't need a car, then you don't need it, and that's all the answer you need.

Be advised, however, that it is very likely you will move at some point in your life, and you may find yourself in need of one.

Cars are a pain in the ass. They cost a lot of money to operate. Factoring in gas, insurance, maintenance, and bank note payment, mine costs me about $26 per day.

17. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

personally I think fast cars and bigass trucks are just compensators most of the time , unless they serve an actual purpose (Like hauling things a lot or professionally racing). I mean if you can afford it then yea its not compensating but if you buy a fast super nice car and live in a shithole place then yea something is up.

I would walk everywhere if I could but due to my skin disease i'm not really able to, so I have to drive most places. Plus most places I go to are 20 minutes at least driving anyway unless I walk to the gas station right down the street.

18. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

^
    Personally I wouldn't buy a super expensive kick ass car to show off. If I bought one it would be to drive fast because I enjoy driving fast.

But I can't even afford the shittiest of cars right now.. .:lol:

19. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I compensate with badass guitars. Now if I could only get better at playing them.

SirMyghin likes this.
  20. Mindcrime1204

Mindcrime1204 SS.org Regular

I understand not liking driving everywhere cause it makes you fat and lazy or pollutes the world or whatever reasons you may come up with...

but what about needing a vehicle for hauling gear, driving yourself to the emergency room (you wanna pay for an ambulence if you really dont need to?), making it to your familys/friends special events on time, or rushing your wife/gf to the hospital to have your kid

surely a bus or bike would not be the best options.

i guess its just hard for me to get around the idea of not having a car :scratch:

edit: maybe wouldnt be such a big deal if i still was at the folks as theyre both retired and have vehicles, but who wants to rely on mom and pops in their late 20s? :\