No Desire to Drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SenorDingDong, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I thought I'd get some of you guys' opinions on this since you're all such upstanding gentlemen.

I have no desire to drive.

I'm a month away from turning 21, I have my license, I'm a great driver (according to anyone whose car I've driven) and yet I just have no desire to buy a car or drive. I prefer walking, biking or taking the bus. I'm not afraid to get in an accident, though I can't say I'd ever like to try getting in one purposefully, but I just have no urge to own a vehicle.

Let me put this in perspective for you all--and please, don't take offense: I think fast sports cars and big huge monster cars are stupid. I think luxury cars are stupid.
    I think cars, in general, are stupid.
    I understand I am the minority in this opinion, and it definitely is an opinion--I by no means think car owners are stupid. I just don't really have an urge to own a car. I thought maybe I'd change, and I almost bought a car on a few occasions, but what it always came down to was that I was buying I car because I felt I had to in order to be normal.

Please keep the thread serious. I'm honestly curious whether or not anyone else feels the same, i.e. has no desire to own a vehicle.

Origin, ilyti, skeels and 2 others like this.
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

If I could get by without one, I would.

3. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

But what is it about cars or owning them or using them that you find stupid?

4. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I don't own a car, and haven't driven one in 6 months, yet I do have licence. It's a great thing "to have", but it's not mandatory to drive, or even like cars just because you have licence.

5. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

I agree with you. I'd rather kick back on a bus and listen to music or read than have to worry about every other terrible driver that insists on doing their make up/texting while driving. If public transportation were better (at least around here) you'd probably see a lot more people leaving their cars at home.

reminds me of what the Mayor of Bogota said some time back: "A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation"

6. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Cars are necessary in this country unless you live in NYC or have piles of extra money to pay people to drive you all over.

My commute is 10 minutes round trip driving, about 30 minutes round trip biking, and 100 minutes round trip walking. So I save on the order of 2 hours per week over biking. Add the fact that I go home for lunch and it's more like 4 hours per week. 4 hours per week is enough time to pay for my car payment...

7. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I've been without a vehicle since the beginning of 2010 when I crashed my lovely 2004 Nissan Frontier - I'm convinced it saved my life and that of my dog...

Decided to just use public transportation and walk (we're in Boston) and it's great. If we do need to drive, we rent Zipcars (by the hour or day).

I'd do it forever if I could...

But, I'm on the national job search so by summer, I'll hopefully be living somewhere else that more than likely won't have a good public transportation system... which means we have to buy a car....

8. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Public transits sucks in London, and I have gear to haul to shows and rehearsals and whatnot. So I own a car. Also makes visiting family and friends out of town and going to concerts much easier.

I'm also a professional driver (BZ license which means I can drive everything but transports, motorcycles and heavy equipment) so I drive quite a bit.

And if you aren't scared about driving or getting in an accident you merely haven't driven enough or aren't really a very good driver. The amount of shit I see everyday...fuck. I'm surprised the already staggering amount of deaths caused by auto accidents annually aren't even higher.

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This is also pretty much exactly it for me as well. For a long time, I had no compulsion to get a driver's license. However, there came a point when I simply had to have one, because I needed to haul around gear. The public transportation is also terrible where I live. When I was going to college and taking the bus before I got my license, my choice most days was either to be an hour early or two hours late.

10. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

I also have no interest in cars aside from their functionality. If you can get by without one then you should. It will save you a lot of money.

I absolutely hate driving but I live too far out in the country to not have a car. And I hate living in town.

11. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Hmmmmm...

On the one hand, cars are a pretty expensive item to own and maintain propely, so you are not necessarily missing out on anything.

On the other hand, public transportation absolutely sucks or is non-existant in much of the US, so you pretty much need one just to get from point A to point B in a reasonably timely manner in most cities here.

12. bannyd

bannyd SS.org Regular

I'm someone who LOVES to drive -- I drive 35 miles to work and 35 miles back every day -- i do own a car that I've modded and that is quite fast (285hp in a turbo 4 cyl) is it necessary to have something fast? no... not really
    is it nice to have that power when someone is merging onto you and you need to get out of the way fast - or if someone is going slow and you need to pass -- then, yes - it comes in handy quite often

but aside from that, I am also an adrenaline junkie -- I love the whole "living on the edge" thing -- between snowboarding, taking the car to the track, skating, and other things that involve quick reaction and motor skills, I NEED to feel my heart racing or else I feel like I'm not living.

No, I don't put others in danger when I drive - so lets not assume things like that -- I'm very careful on the road.

Another reason why I need a car is simply because I live in the woods -- there's no public transport by me - and if I were to use it, I'd have to drive there first anyway!

okay i'm done rambling

Oh and one more thing - I've met a TON of people who are now good friends who share the same love of cars on forums such as this (but for cars obviously)

and we're not all assholes...

i am...
    but not all of us

13. SenorDingDong

Stupid was simply the easiest word to describe my feelings, but to me, spending 10k or more on something because it looks nice, or moves fast, or will make people notice me, is stupid. I don't find owning cars stupid, I find the idea of a car being necessary stupid.

I guess I look at it this way: I make more than enough to buy a fairly nice car, and keep it running. But then I look at the expenses of insurance, and gas, and maintenance, and I see all the other ways I could (and do) use those thousands of dollars and I find myself wondering what the point of it is. I get from point A to point B whenever I have to, either by my own two legs or by the bus or hitching a ride with a friend and giving them a fiver. I rarely need to get very far, and when I do, I find public transportation to be easier and far cheaper.

14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

[​IMG]

15. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Even though I got my driving license yesterday I neither ain't so keen on cars. For me it's mostly for environmental reasons. I do love the idea to be able to use something such cars to travel very fastly and nicely from place to another but I will try to walk/bike as often as I can.

16. SenorDingDong

See that's the thing--I don't associate car ownership with freedom. It's the argument people always make, however I go to New York and Boston and other states frequently. I go to the store when I need to, I go on dates, I do everything I want and accomplish everything I need but I simply do not own a car. I'm as free as anyone else is to do the things I want.

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Are you taking issue with the status symbol aspect of owning a car or the actual functional issue with cars as a mode of transportation?

Also, I assume you are young, unmarried, without children and likely living in a "downtown" area. How far off am I?

I live in Houston, which is over 30 miles across within the city limits, and cose to 80 miles across if you are talking about the greater Houston area. Walking across town takes a pretty good while, and its done in 100F degree weather with almost 100% humidity. Unless you are staying within your neighborhood, walking is pretty much a non option here. And public transportation does not cover the entire city, so its not always an option. So living here, a car pretty much is a necessity unless you only stay in your neighborhood.

18. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I did find it very comfortable that when I played in my first band, I could just take my parents' car to rehersals. Now that I live in a bigger city where everyone rides their bike instead, I've not found it necessary to get a car.

*EDIT* On further reflection, it wasn't my first band, but it was an early one.

19. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

Well since you work from home its not as big a deal to you. When you have to start commuting across cities or multiple cities to your job each day... well then it starts to become another story.

Just my 2 cents.

20. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

I personally have been driving since I was 15 years old (now 28). I have never been in any accidents, and I love driving. I don't know what the public transportation is like where you live, but over here in Albuquerque it sucks pretty bad. I honestly couldn't imagine living here and going about my daily tasks without owning a car. Going from one side of town to the other without a car would nearly be impossible with buses. You would have to wait forever for connecting buses, and by bike you would have a very cold, or very hot and overwhelming ride. As far as having a fast car or a luxury car goes, it is no different than wanting a really well made guitar. You want quality and you want certain specs that speak to you, and don't mind paying more money for it. I drive a 72k Cadillac cts-v coupe, and I sure as hell don't need a 556HP car with a lush interior, but I love driving it. It isn't like I am a douchebag who races all of the time, it is just nice to have the extra power. I myself own two cars, and to me that makes that a lot of sense.