[NModD] Due to recent posts, I tried an expirment with no vol/no tone

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by kreaturesleeper, Dec 17, 2012.

1. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

I saw a thread, as well as a few posts asking about eliminating the volume/tone pots for an on/off switch configuration. I posted one of my Ibby RG's a while back, which consisted of nothing but a single humbucker and volume pot circuitry wise, so I decided to experiment with this already one trick pony.

The SD JBL is super trebley (due to lack of any kind of potentiometer), but luckily I have an unused Boss GE-7 which I added to the board and cut out some of the high frequencies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must say, this fits the overall personality of the guitar very well, and the JB absolutely screams.

I plan on adding a black washer for aesthetics, just didn’t have one on hand during my time reassembling the guitar.

[​IMG]

MetalBuddah and heregoesnothing like this.
  2. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

Whats the switch do, and thats a custom body right?

3. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

.... Can I have it?

4. kreaturesleeper

Yes, the body is custom, and its on/on switch in place of the previous single volume control. One position throw all the signal to output, the other position throws it to ground. In other words, it goes from 0%-100% volume wise with the flick.of the switch. Also get to do cool stutters haha.

5. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

So one might say it "kills" the signal. I'd call it a kill switch, that sounds really cool. :lol:

Overtone likes this.
  6. kreaturesleeper

Its indeed a killswitch. Sorry, I must have residual fermented liquids from last night hendering my brain from getting its gears turning.

7. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

Just messing with you, haha. The way you explained it explains how to wire it so its more useful than calling it a kill switch. :yesway:

8. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

ITT: Takes out potentiometers to get maximum brightness.

Then puts a bunch of filters on it to get rid of brightness :lol:

;)

9. kreaturesleeper

I wouldnt call a single EQ pedal "a bunch of filters", nor did I say I eliminated potentiometers to achieve maximum brightness. I did it to elimate me hitting the volume knob while playing and losing volume, as well as an experiment.

:yesway:

10. JackandCoke

JackandCoke Member

Thanks for the post man, I am going to do the same thing to my guitar soon and so I was glad to see someone else's ideas on it. Is there a quality kill switch that you would recommend getting? I don't want to buy one I would need to replace in 6 months.

11. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Just a heads-up: an EQ pedal is, in fact, a bunch of filters. Each band is its own separate filter.

How else do you think they work? :lol:

12. maruzen

maruzen SS.org Regular

The guitar reminds me of an ESP M1 :) But putting in a killswitch makes this a true barebones axe!

13. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

this is probably the most no-bullshit, badass metal machine on SSO. I kinda wanna do this to my Agile Intrepid...So this is literally just pickup -> switch -> jack?

What tuning is she in?

14. kreaturesleeper

Yep, literally just a dual pole on/on switch, SD JBL, and a jack. She's tuned to drop C. Im trying to get another body built, as I have another wizard neck laying around. It has definitely become my favorite metal guitar that I own, and I want another just like it.

15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Something is off there...
    j/k

16. kreaturesleeper

Im cutting two frequencies, the rest stay at +0, so two filters if you want to get technical about it. And again, I did it, not to get "maximum brightness" out of my pickup, but as a simple solution to eliminating the volume control completely. Thanks. :yesway:

17. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

Right on.

or

Left off?

18. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Chrome pup ring and keep the chrome switch?

Also you could probably find a capacitor to wire in somehow to cut some of the highs.

19. kreaturesleeper

Our bass player made the joke the first night i broke it out at practice, about 5 times before I hit his tuner mute on his head.

I have considered a chrome pup ring, and keeping the chrome switch/washer, just a matter of not having the right parts in my hodge podge of hardware. It is one of my stage guitars, and its a nitro finish, so I dont expect it to stay pretty for very long. Cosmetic upgrades might take a back seat depending on how much we start playing this winter. I also would wire in a cap, but its a custom body, and the electronics cavity is barely large enough to fit a mini pot. So Ill just run my GE-7 when Im running this sixer, and bypass it when I go back to my prestige live. Seriously, just fitting all of the wiring inside the cavity was a painstaking process. The cavity is smaller than a US half dollar coin.

20. kreaturesleeper

The wiring is extremely simple, (especially for single hum/single volume guitars). However, if you would like a wiring schematic, Pm me and I'll get you one drawn up.

I recently did this to my Charvel Model 1 project as well. (with original J90C)

[​IMG]

And here's my Kramer project just for fun

[​IMG]

Im bringing Doo Doo brown back. And yes, the Kramer is scalloped from the 11th fret down. Im OCD about aesthetics, and having half the frets (22 fret neck) scalloped made complete sense to my demented mind.