NM(odded)GD: SC-207 w/ Neck Pickup (56k - Will Djent, unforuntately)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of you might remember my SC-207 from this video:

(Groff :wub:)

Well, the 'bridge-middle' thing and the EMG route thing wasn't working for me too well. So I decided to warmup the woodshop and get to work.

I filled the middle and bridge slots with pieces of basswood (since that's what the guitar is made of) cut to size, then I filled the majority of the space (though there was very little) with two-part epoxy (Castin' Craft 16-Ounce EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy | Shop Hobby Lobby), sanded everying flush then did a little bit of cleanup using superglue-gel mixed with basswood dust.

I did the same as above to fill in the 3-way blade slot, then drilled a wider opening for a 3-way toggle in place of the tone control.

The body was sanded, starting at 120 and worked my way up to about 500. I used white spray epoxy (think refrigerator paint) in thin layers to find any uneveness and also to work as a sealer, sanded up from 300 back to 500 again until I was happy with everything and sanded up to 800.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it for a while, so it sat in the shop waiting for the next step for about 6 months. Then a couple months ago, the g/f got me a 7420 for my birthday (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/227284-ngd-rg7420-stone-finish-56k-hokay.html) and I fell in love with the finish, so I decided this would get another "stoney" kinda finish to match.

I don't remember exactly what brand/type paint is on both guitars, but I do know they were different. The finish I used on the LTD was a lot smoother/less heavy in texture than that of the 7420, but I sprayed a couple evened out "overspray" style coats, than some medium coats overtop of it to achieve a similar texture.

The electronics are all some loose stuff I had sitting around, minus the pickups which are New7s I got from a guy on MG to match what are in the 7420. The goal being for this guitar to be a backup, with the added option of being able to drop tune the low string easily.

Onto the pics!

101_0443.JPG

101_0444.JPG

101_0445.JPG

101_0447.JPG

101_0448.JPG

101_0449.JPG

101_0451.JPG

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow!

It looks like a completely different guitar. I remember hating the middle EMG pickup when I played that guitar. ...So in the way. Nice work Randycakes!

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
The mods look awesome, I must say, the stoney finish is a good look.

Also, due to the fact that I've not seen pictures of you or Groff, I just got mind blown knowing that it was you two in that video. :lol:

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
Wow!!!! :drool: That's awesome. I love the extreme contours in the back.

I just got a lefty SC 7 and I kinda want to do this to mine, get rid of the middle pickup and make it a neck. C-can I send mine to you.......;=;, I'll make you some cookies...

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you sand the back down on it to have the deep V or did it come like that? Very nice job with it, I like the color.

Thanks! The contours are all pretty close to how they were originally, though I did sand pretty deep so I'm sure they might be slightly embellished upon. The difference in the new color/texture makes the biggest difference in how drastic it looks, IMO.

Also, due to the fact that I've not seen pictures of you or Groff, I just got mind blown knowing that it was you two in that video. :lol:

...or is it...? :coffee:

I just got a lefty SC 7 and I kinda want to do this to mine, get rid of the middle pickup and make it a neck. C-can I send mine to you.......;=;, I'll make you some cookies...

If I had enough free time, I'd probably take you up on that. :lol:

Honestly, it was one of the less intensive projects I've done in the last year or so. I don't get a ton of time in the workshop lately, so I usually put in about an hour per morning, three days a week.

Filling the routes (including the blade switch) took about four sessions, routing the pickups took about two sessions (including making the template), sanding and sealing was about two sessions, one session for paint and probably one or two sessions for assorted stuff (assembly, dissassembly, etc). So ~10-11 hours, which would've probably been slightly reduced if I could've done it in bigger chunks.

Not a huge undertaking for a DIY project. The 207 is actually really impressive for the price they go for (great fretwork, nice piece of rosewood, lots of contouring in the back, etc), so I'm kinda surprised they aren't used as a base for mods more often (vs. the RG7321, for example)