Nile's Karl Sanders - GEAR MASTERS(or is it just me or is his action CRAZY high?)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by kingpinMS3, Apr 26, 2017.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I like my bass action a bit high. Makes it so I can get away with a 56 for low C in drop C on a 24.75 scale. I don't play terribly fast on that guitar, so I can get away with it.

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

holy crap I wouldn't know what to do with that

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

WOuld probably make a nice cheese grater.

4. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I like my action medium-high for playability reasons, mainly because I pick hard as a mofo. (similar technique to Ola)

I freaking love Karl's tone, and Nile in general. Everything Those Whom The Gods Detest and after has guitar tone I can only dream about. Especially given that most of that tone comes from his tight ass playing.

5. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Have any of you watched Karl play? The dude ....ing hammers his strings when he plays, theres no way normal-low action would be comfortable for him

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't recall ever seeing a guitar where the whole neck is scalloped before :eek: I guess that's what's making the action look so high.

7. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

I have a couple full scalloped guitars and yeah there is an optical illusion that makes the action look higher depending on the angle, but that's also just a really high action regardless (since you can see the string deflection needed to fret when he pushes it).

Weird because I find one of the benefits of the full scallop is it removes some of the downsides to low action (not being able to 'grab' the string securely enough with your skin).

8. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

Karl is such a cool dude, he gives it all for the metal too

9. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

I'm thinking the same, the scalloping makes it look higher, it is high though.

I am personally a low action type of player and it looks high enough that I'd feel it would affect my playing a little bit, but it's not crazy high like you could see in some cheap crap guitar with a broken trem or w/e where the action is so high you can almost begin to hear your pressing the string down is actually changing the pitch on of the note on the way down to the fret :lol:

Karl's pretty badass though, he can do whatever he wants with his guitars in my book :metal: