NIGHTMARER Megathread - Keith Merrow Joins Nightmarer

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by simonXsludge, Nov 11, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only pointy guitars remain

I personally don't hear any BAN/DSO connections on this album. Both of those bands are much more eclectic with their arrangements, leaning towards dare I say almost a classical vibe at times, specifically dashes of dissonant friendly modernist stuff like stravinsky/rachmaninoff/prokofiev. There is of course a heavy dose of crushing death/black metal riffage.

I get more of a Tomb Mold vibe from Nightmarer tbh. Big thick sludgier massive tones mixed with a general vibe of dissonance rather than a deliberate attempt to write basically modernist classical music like BAN/DSO or Gorguts do anymore.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Yo! I love WFAHM. Haven’t listened to any of your tunes from that band in years. Always cool to rediscover a good band.

simonXsludge likes this.
  3. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I agree entirely, hence why I said I couldn't begrudge bands for making copycat stuff, just their fans for supporting it.

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I was thinking the same thing.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  5. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Don't worry guys my uncle works for the FBI and I've got him on the case!

6. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

No shade on Simon. Glad to have him here, metal cred for days, great gear and great community member but next to this new guy, he's probably the biggest genre purist on this website, so the irony of the whole thing isn't lost on me. It's not even yin and yang it's, like... yang and yang. :lol:

Ideally this thread gets merged into a Nightmarer Megathread, the addition of Keith goes into the title, Cynicanal runs out of gas because we stop feeding him and in a day or two we go back to talking about news and not bullshit.

But I'm lazy so the thread stays how it is for now.

MAJ Meadows SF, Vyn and simonXsludge like this.
  7. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I have never heard nightmarer until now but i think it sounds good! I was (am) a big fan of WFAHM and i can never thank them enough for making the best breakdown of my teen years...

GunpointMetal likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

Haha I thoroughly enjoyed this thread :yesway: cynicanal - way to talk like an elitist but with only a loose grasp at best of all the bands you are quoting.

You're one of these guys that spends a grand going to brussels, nbm, ascension etc only to stand and tell everyone how much you hate all the bands arent you?

What brand of black cowboy boots are your favourite?

Attached Files:

9. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

As skewed as this perspective is, I get it. But I think it's a musical philosophy that's ultimately detrimental.

This board doesn't strike me as your demographic, and that's fine if you're trying to bring some of your own tastes to the table. But it seems like all you do is shit on everything here, or question members' knowledge of lesser-known metal. Do you see how that makes you come off as an elitist prick?

10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

WTF do random European black metal fests have to do with anything?

(And, no, there's only a couple fests I go to, and they're not the European BM fests. Nor do I go to fests and then complain about the bands; if I don't like the bands, I don't go to a show. But, given that I never wrote anything about fests, that means you're hallucinating my posts, a clear tell for cognitive dissonance, so I'll just let you be.)

@Eptaceros : Uh... where did I name anything lesser known than the legions of random Youtube prog metal? The most obscure thing I mentioned is Portal, a band that's been well known for over a decade and is signed to Profund Lore, a band that's better known than most of the modern-prog-djent stuff that's posted about in these parts. I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge -- I assume everyone here knows Portal -- I'm wondering why people are so excited about another band in Portal's style, when everyone seems to admit that Portal's entire purpose was the one-time shock/impact of the uniqueness of their style. Displaying a urinal as art was art and was a valid statement, because of the impact of doing it once; no one did it a second time for obvious reasons.

(As for why I'm here -- largely to lurk on threads for keeping things tight with a low B string. It's not just prog guys who tune to baritone!)

11. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I meant moreso in other threads that I've seen your posts.

Regarding Portal, I never liked them because I also think their music doesn't go much past the initial shock factor. And I love a lot of bands in the darker vein, DsO is one of my all-time favs, Gorguts' Obscura is untouchable, I listen to Leviathan weekly, etc, etc. But here's the main difference between you and most of the people in this thread:

Answer is REAL simple. There are people that like the music. Not just for the shock value of it, but intrinsically.

That's really all there is to it. If you can't accept that without begrudging fans for it, then you've got a problem.

MikeH and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  12. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Randy and Bearitone like this.
  13. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

you should probably take yourself a little less seriously

Bearitone likes this.
  14. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I'm still failing to see any connection between Portal and Nightmarer. I honestly do not hear the similarities at all.

Razerjack, Eptaceros and MikeH like this.
  15. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

Nightmarer is dope man. The reason Simon does well is because he works hard as fuck. I haven't even been following them that long and I can see the hustle in this guy. The fact he kept giving you thoughtful replies is just a small bit of evidence. If you don't like the stuff who cares, just move on.

cwhitey2 and MerlinTKD like this.
  16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I’m just here to post WFAHM videos at this point.

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Even after I specifically call people out for hallucinating my arguments and pointing out that it's a sign of cognitive dissonance, people keep doing it. Incredible.

18. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Can you please explain the similarities between Portal and Nightmarer, I'm genuinely curious.

19. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

There are tremolo-picked, dissonant chords in a Nightmarer song he supposedly listened to.

This is the most detailed comment I can find, but it's confusing to me, because the first track is an intro that only features chords that are simply ringing out and the second track doesn't feature dissonant tremolo riffs at all. Neither does the third song, by the way. So I don't know what he's really referring to.

Only one song really features tremolo-picked, dissonant chords as a prominent element and it's towards the end of the album.

I tried. Maybe it's just a lotta hot air and not worth being discussed any further.

Winspear likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

Maybe people are just drawing similarities between what you've posted here and the million other 'I know better' metal trolls who they have come across.

Not that I think there are any similarities between this band who I've actually heard of due to this thread only and portal but if there were has it struck you that, that may be the reason people who also like portal like it?

Going by your logic because I like death I shouldn't like stuff like decrepit birth and more obviously gruesome. Why? What if I want to listen to music that sounds like death but I dont want to just keep kicking the ass out the death albums?

You must get very little joy out of music.