NIGHTMARER Megathread - Keith Merrow Joins Nightmarer

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by simonXsludge, Nov 11, 2015.

1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

And that, lad, is called
    P R O G R E S S I O N

You’re basically just putting words into an argument that wasn’t presented to begin with. He didn’t say he was playing dissonant music before Portal, and he also didn’t say that his new band sounds exactly like his old band. He said that he’s simply not hopping trends, as he’s been playing that style (which can vary in specificity. Who fuckin’ knew?) for over 10 years at this point. You’re trying to come off as a subject matter expert, and a person who can define who is allowed to play and/or listen to what, when you’re really just arguing for the sake of sounding like you know things that people really don’t care about. Simon made a thread about something related to his band, and I’m guessing he didn’t intend on discussing the philosophical weight of his metal band taking influence from other bands.

Vyn likes this.
  2. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I've heard enough Watain to know they're 2nd rate girlfriend black metal at best and nowhere near what actually falls under the "raw" aesthetic of black metal.

Neither of which are true. If anything Nightmarers style is closer to Ulsect than any of the other bands you've brought up. Either you need to get your hearing checked or actually listen to the bands you keep naming off.

Razerjack and Vyn like this.
  3. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

So the answer is, no, you haven't heard Watain prior to "Sworn to the Dark", but you're sure going to pretend you know what they sounded like.
    This is what they sounded like before signing to SoM:
    And he pointed to an album that sounds like DSO and BAN from right after the French black metal scene blew up on the backs of those two bands. What a great example!

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Regardless of what I continue to say to refute what your initial argument was, you’ll continue to grasp at straws to not sound like a complete tool.

Pro-tip: it’s not working.

But regardless, have fun with your raw black metal. And if you don’t like something, maybe just don’t listen to it and leave everyone to their own preferences. :shrug:

5. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I pointed to a song, not an album you never listened to. You have a lot of opinions about things you evidently never actually checked out.

This one sounds nothing like French BM and is still dissonant. Weird how that goes.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    MerlinTKD and MikeH like this.
  6. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I knew exactly which era of Watain you were talking about and that still doesn't fit what raw black metal is, thats literally standard natural sounding black metal production. Maybe that'd be considered raw to some on here since most here like very produced and polished sounding metal but anyone who actually enjoys raw black metal knows Watain has never been close to it.

7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Okay, fess up, @Cynicanal is really just a sockpuppet of @simonXsludge and he’s just arguing with himself to bolster the post/page count, to bring attention to the fact that Keith Merrow joined his band, right? Right? Because otherwise, no one would go on for 4 pages making an argument that doesn’t seem to ever have a point other than “I don’t like your band because reasons!”, right?

Right?

8. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Anyway, congrats to Merrow and Simon and Nightmarer, I’m looking forward to hearing the result! :metal:

9. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

To the underground, only the truest and most raw are albums recorded live in one take by a dictaphone in the next room.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  10. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

With guitars recorded through a 10w ss sammick with everything on 10, a pearl export kit with skins that haven't been changed in a century and an unplugged bass

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  11. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

duh trvest

12. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

You know, I came here to congratulate Simon and Keith and wish them all the best, so I'll start by doing exactly that - I hope the partnership is a resounding success and that the band has an absolutely kickass time on the road!

I was treated with a rare specipen of the trve kvlt anorak posting the likes of which I hadn't seen in ages, which is a very welcome bonus, I have to say! :lol:

13. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

[​IMG]

MAJ Meadows SF and ArtDecade like this.
  14. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Probably the most ironic thing about Cynicanal entering a thread and shitting on music for being trendy and overdone, is that he plays in a modern old school death metal band.

https://condemner.bandcamp.com/

If there's any trend in metal that should die, it's this resurgence of OSDM that brings nothing new to the table and emulates the exact sound of bands going literally 30-40 years back now. If that's not derivative, I don't know what is.

Simon, congrats on bringing Keith Merrow aboard! I was never too big on his musical output, but I'm curious to see how he writes in a more unhinged setting.

cwhitey2, Vyn, Razerjack and 4 others like this.
  15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Wow, this thread got hilarious. Didn't know you could measure dicks based on how hard you like to work to hear whats happening in a bands' music.

First, I can hear the kicks on my shitty monitor speakers at work, so this is obviously way too cleanly produced to be "raw".
    Second, you don't get to do a band that sounds like a copycat band and then complain about other bands that you think sound like copycat bands.

MAJ Meadows SF and cwhitey2 like this.
  16. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

You lookin' to start a new, separate fight in this thread? :squint: :lol:

The resurgence of OSDM is one of the few trends/scenes that I wholeheartedly support. Especially the 20 Buck Spin bands.

MAJ Meadows SF and Eptaceros like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

this thread is cancer now.
    Death Metal elitism- check
    one aspie ruining the whole thread- check
    :locked::locked::locked::locked:

drmosh and GunpointMetal like this.
  18. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Lets just post Nightmarer and WFAHM videos because both bands are sick.

19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

CynicAnal is ultra crusty.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah, temp ban and thread cleanup.