NHL 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Dec 13, 2020.

1. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Being in the North Division I keep forgetting...

I hope they seized the golden opportunity to let their displeasure known.

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

They were in Pittsburgh so I don't think the fans cared that Buffalo was missing a coach :lol:

Wow, I thought sure the Pens would trade for old slow guy Eric Staal.... but nope the Habs got him :rofl: I forget Rutherford is no longer GM :lol:

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Basically got him for a bag of pucks and a couple of used hockey sticks.

3rd and 5th round picks, plus Buffalo retain half his salary. Sucks for Jake Evans but eh, I said in the beginning of the season that I was fine with Perry's acquisition and I still am after half the season, ready to give another old geezer a chance on thr 4th line and see how it goes

4. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Great move, all things considered he should fit in remarkably well.

Just one reservation... I'm not so much worried about Covid contamination, but far moreso concerned about the Sabres' suck rubbing off on us...

:deadhrse:

Stat of the day: After 32 games this season, the Sabres have been shutout more times (7) than games they have won (6). That bad.

5. technomancer

^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am curious to see if he starts skating better once he is out of Buffalo... he looked like he was hauling a bag of cement in the games against the Pens

6. technomancer

Wow I was honestly expecting the Pens to get killed last night, not put up 6 against the best defensive team in the league. Curious to see how their next 3 games look as they've got the Isles again Monday and then 2 against Boston.

Crushing the Sabres with your middle 6 out isn't THAT surprising, but doing it to the Isles really was unexpected.

7. Wucan

Wucan SS.org Regular

What happened to Andersen? It's as if he was never the starter for the Leafs.

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. technomancer

Hits keep coming and the Pens keep rolling... Jarry left after the first period and did not return, Pens beat the Isles with DeSmith in net.

Hoping Jarry isn't out long-term as DeSmith is fantastic but has been very streaky in the past and our third string goalie has no NHL experience.

9. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Word is he was dealing with an injury, and when Campbell was injured they didn't trust Hutchinson to start, so it just got worse and was really messing him up.

Of course, no idea what is actually going on as mums the word on starting goaltenders health and whatnot.

10. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

11. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Gallagher is out for at least 6 weeks.

Everytime this guy is out of the team, they crumble. Can't say that I'm hopeful for the end of the season

12. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Despite what we saw at the beginning of the season and even if we hold the course in the standings and finish 4th, I don't think we can make it out of the division come playoff time. Edmonton I think we could take, Toronto if we're lucky, but not Winnipeg. I'll continue to watch and hold hope, but I am more invested in seeing Caufield's progression, what a great day for him yesterday.

13. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Trade deadline is a buyer's market, the returns I've seen are underwhelming.

Hall to Boston... didn't see that one coming.

Toronto are all-in as expected, acquiring Foligno. Hard to see them not making out of the division...
    ...only to see them get eliminated by Boston again :mike:

14. MFB

MFB Banned

Ah jeez, where the hell is Taylor Hall going to fit into our lineups? He's been in a slump all year production wise, but I do like his attitude about not wanting to be the center of the team when we've already got a young core that people identify with.

15. Wucan

Wucan SS.org Regular

HFBoards is down so I'm guessing quite a few more trades went down.

16. Wucan

Wucan SS.org Regular

17. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Mantha for Vrana was a solid move. Vrana is an absolute head case and about as one dimensional as it gets. He’s had issues with Trotz/Laviolette, AHL, and National Team coaches. All said almost the exact same thing, basically he doesn’t compete hard enough. He’s fast when he has the puck, weak on the boards, and non existent defensively. He would have been due for a huge raise too, which would have been hard to stomach. Panik being tossed in basically admitted that his contract was a bad signing. He would have been fine at under a million, but for $2.75m over 4 years he just didn’t offer enough.

18. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

After seeing the (underwhelming) returns that teams were getting for their players, that trade looked colossal in comparison.

Looking at the standings, likely playoff teams and speculating who might make it out of their division, the Metropolitan looks like the most hotly contested. Was hoping to get some insight/hot takes?

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

People looking at that trade in the wrong way, basically Vrana for Mantha was straight up. They put up similar numbers, both were on the outs with their teams. Mantha fits the Caps lineup much better. He’s at 5.7m for two more years. Vrana us a RFA, who will likely get more than that for an unknown term. Caps paid DET in picks to take two more years of a bad $2.75m contract. One was a first rounder in an expected weak draft year, 2021, and a second rounder in 2022. That helps clear space for Ovechkins contract next year and fits their “win now” philosophy.

AdamMaz likes this.
  20. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Given the reaction to his initial demands, I thought that could go either way. Encouraging to hear after your analysis.