NHL 2021-2022

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ottawa put Matt Murray on waivers... glad the Pens managed to unload him before the house of cards collapsed. Ottawa was nuts giving him that contract when he had never proved he could handle a starting goalie workload.

I'm curious to see who the Habs tap as GM.

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heard mention Murray had COVID pretty bad, maybe he's having post COVID issues still. I'm fairly certain Khudobin is.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think my Bruins will do much this year, they have the talent but can't consistently beat the good teams.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is out, so is head of recruitment Trevor Timmins (and probably others).

Ex-NY Rangers GM Jeff Gorton would be taking the position of Director of Hockey Operation (or something along those line, lousy french translation on my end).

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ottawa put Matt Murray on waivers... glad the Pens managed to unload him before the house of cards collapsed. Ottawa was nuts giving him that contract when he had never proved he could handle a starting goalie workload.

I never did understand what they were thinking, but, Ottawa.

I'm curious to see who the Habs tap as GM.

With the Gorton hire, the money is on a bi-lingual (because Molson CANNOT let that go) dark horse candidate that Gorton can groom. It's not a bad move, honestly, given how the current Rangers were built. The current Habs have been propped up by Price for too long, and it covered Bergevin's mistakes - but after the draft ridiculousness this year, the KK thing, and the lack of depth in the organization he could no longer be covered for.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is out, so is head of recruitment Trevor Timmins (and probably others).

Ex-NY Rangers GM Jeff Gorton would be taking the position of Director of Hockey Operation (or something along those line, lousy french translation on my end).

He's the EVP of Hockey Operations. Hopefully this means he's a wall between the hockey side and the business side, because they desperately need that before they fall to the point that the Bell Centre is empty. Nostalgia only takes you so far.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
For now at least...

I remember that save, it was ridiculous. Pretty sure that would also have been his 3rd had it gone in?

What I can’t figure out is, how can this be his best start ever? At 36…

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember that save, it was ridiculous. Pretty sure that would also have been his 3rd had it gone in?

What I can’t figure out is, how can this be his best start ever? At 36…
All I remember was that was a very late-season game and that that happened in the dying seconds of a tied 3rd period. Breathtaking save in its own right, amplified by the moment. I don't recall it denying a potential hatty, but I do believe it was the Caps that went on to ultimately win the game.

My guess is that Ovechkin is being used much more efficiently, making him also more effective. On a personal level, I'm thinking his young son inspires and motivates him too.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jarry literally stole a point for the Pens last night against Calgary, he was amazing. They finally lost in the 7th round of a shootout.

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stars on a 6 game win streak, 7 game home win streak, and Jake Oettinger is 5-0-0 with sparkling stats. What is this team?

Well TBH this is how I expected them to look before the season, it just took a lot of adversity to get there.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some thoughts as I glance over the standings across the league roughly 1/4 of the season in...

• Metropolitan is still insanely competitive... to think NYI are last in the division is crazy, what is going on over there?! NYR :ninja:. Seeing NJ over .500 and the Hughes contract, it will be interesting to see where they go from here.
  • Aside from Florida [:eek:], almost no surprises in the Atlantic. Interesting to see Detroit as a wildcard team.
  • Central looks like it is an even tighter division than the Metropolitan. I'm wondering just how good Minnesota will be long term, is Kaprizov that good/enough?
  • I really hope for the Oilers to have team success and they look like they are finally ready to take the next step. I love that Calgary their rival and other canadian team are fighting for the top spot in the Pacific. I've been quietly enjoying Anaheim's success, I had been keeping a small eye on their rebuild the past few years.

There is video of Eichel skating for the first time post-op, in his new Vegas gear, great to see. Apparently Tyler Johnson (CHI) just got the same surgery too.

In Habs news... the new Vice President Gorton (great choice) watched the team in person for the first time yesterday (4-1 loss to the Avs who played the night before) and saw a fan throw their jersey on the ice. I don't think I have EVER seen a fan here do that before. I'm actually dreading next week, as we play Tampa Bay at home next Tuesday. Not looking forward to all of the "this was the Stanley Cup Finals matchup from just a few months earlier... now look at this dumpster fire".

Last edited:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Islanders have A LOT of injuries and had IIRC something crazy like 7 guys in COVID protocol... they're missing pretty much then entire team except for the 4th line and I think their goalies last I looked.

I'm really curious to see if the Wild can maintain too...

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
The Islanders have A LOT of injuries and had IIRC something crazy like 7 guys in COVID protocol... they're missing pretty much then entire team except for the 4th line and I think their goalies last I looked.

I'm really curious to see if the Wild can maintain too...

I also think that the Isles started with long stretch (first 12 games or so) on the road waiting for their new arena to be ready to hold the home games.

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some thoughts as I glance over the standings across the league roughly 1/4 of the season in...

• Metropolitan is still insanely competitive... to think NYI are last in the division is crazy, what is going on over there?! NYR :ninja:. Seeing NJ over .500 and the Hughes contract, it will be interesting to see where they go from here.
  • Aside from Florida [:eek:], almost no surprises in the Atlantic. Interesting to see Detroit as a wildcard team.
  • Central looks like it is an even tighter division than the Metropolitan. I'm wondering just how good Minnesota will be long term, is Kaprizov that good/enough?
  • I really hope for the Oilers to have team success and they look like they are finally ready to take the next step. I love that Calgary their rival and other canadian team are fighting for the top spot in the Pacific. I've been quietly enjoying Anaheim's success, I had been keeping a small eye on their rebuild the past few years.
There is video of Eichel skating for the first time post-op, in his new Vegas gear, great to see. Apparently Tyler Johnson (CHI) just got the same surgery too.

In Habs news... the new Vice President Gorton (great choice) watched the team in person for the first time yesterday (4-1 loss to the Avs who played the night before) and saw a fan throw their jersey on the ice. I don't think I have EVER seen a fan here do that before. I'm actually dreading next week, as we play Tampa Bay at home next Tuesday. Not looking forward to all of the "this was the Stanley Cup Finals matchup from just a few months earlier... now look at this dumpster fire".
Kaprizov is definitely that good. I want to hate him because he won the Calder over Robertson, but I just can't. He's gonna be pretty damned stellar for a long time.

And looks like Robertson is as well :lol:

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score

I can't remember a jersey being thrown on the ice either. At 300$ a piece, it says a lot. About time, me thinks. We need a 360 change with this team.

So... who should be the next GM?

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm pretty open to most of the candidates, in good part knowing that Gorton will be looking over their shoulder. I dig the thought of Roy and am curious what Darche could bring from Tampa.