NHL 2021-2022

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Preds were up 4-0 last night, then Arizona scored 5 unanswered and won in regulation, pushing Dallas from 8th to 7th. Dallas faces Calgary in the first round.

I'll post a "hockey players at the golf course" thread and we can hang out there when the second round starts, it'll be great :lol:

Last edited:

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Preds were up 4-0 last night, then Arizona scored 5 unanswered and won in regulation, pushing Dallas from 8th to 7th. Dallas faces Calgary in the first round.
Calgary might not be as intimidating of a matchup as it might look on the surface. Yes they have 3 players that scored 40+ goals with another around 35, but after that player production falls off significantly. If Dallas can still play defence, shut down those individuals and you shut down the team.

This might be the most interesting playoffs we've seen in a longtime. With the NHL standings being about as polarized as I've ever seen, almost all these matchups look heavyweight and most of them have question marks in net. Not sure I care enough to follow any particular series up close, but I'm sure I might get some glimpses of Toronto/Tampa.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After watching the 1st, color me surprised. I had the rest of regulation on in the background, sounded like quite the game.

How does it feel to (still) be God's favorite?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Calgary might not be as intimidating of a matchup as it might look on the surface. Yes they have 3 players that scored 40+ goals with another around 35, but after that player production falls off significantly. If Dallas can still play defence, shut down those individuals and you shut down the team.

This might be the most interesting playoffs we've seen in a longtime. With the NHL standings being about as polarized as I've ever seen, almost all these matchups look heavyweight and most of them have question marks in net. Not sure I care enough to follow any particular series up close, but I'm sure I might get some glimpses of Toronto/Tampa.
Well, so much for Avs/Preds being a series. Otherwise, I think you're on point.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After watching the 1st, color me surprised. I had the rest of regulation on in the background, sounded like quite the game.

How does it feel to (still) be God's favorite?

I am legit impressed, especially given Domingue had to come in in the second OT. Aside from the first they were very competitive and settled in and played a well-controlled and tight game. It's going to be interesting to see if they have the discipline to do it again, and how the depth holds up given they potentially lost DeSmith and Rakell. It will also be interesting to see how the young Rangers team responds to being beaten by a team they clearly expected to steamroll coming in.

Not sure the Hockey Gods smiled though, given the injuries :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be when they announced Saros was out for the Preds.
Their style just does not work without a goaltender playing out of his mind. I actually think the Avs could have scored a couple of more if they were really pressing, but that game was over in the 2nd.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Their style just does not work without a goaltender playing out of his mind. I actually think the Avs could have scored a couple of more if they were really pressing, but that game was over in the 2nd.

Pretty sure it was over in the first when they gave up 5 :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crap Pens have recalled D'Orio which means DeSmith is out. Also hearing Rakell has a concussion.

Add Dumoulin to the list... so Pens are on their third string goalie, just lost their best defensive defenseman, and are down 2 top 6 forwards.

If they win this one I'm going to start thinking AdamMaz is right :lol:

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Add Dumoulin to the list... so Pens are on their third string goalie, just lost their best defensive defenseman, and are down 2 top 6 forwards.

If they win this one I'm going to start thinking AdamMaz is right :lol:
Was looking good until the second half of the 3rd. Still a shot at the series.

Between Zibanejad and Carter... these mullets are making me uncomfortable :barf:

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stars tied up the series 1-1 with a 2-0 win. Oettinger becomes the youngest goalie to record a playoff win in franchise history, as well as a playoffs shutout, at only 23 years old. He's only let in 1 goal on 55 shots in this series.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was looking good until the second half of the 3rd. Still a shot at the series.

Between Zibanejad and Carter... these mullets are making me uncomfortable :barf:

Yeah unfortunately they need to play a really sharp full 60 minutes to beat the Rangers, especially with the mounting injuries. Really hoping Dumoulin is back next game as while Friedman is physical he also tends to take stupid penalties and that Matheson / Letang pairing is less than ideal defensively (-3 last night).

They still have a shot, and if they can play as well as they did on and off on the last two at home with the matchup advantage they should make a series of it... which is more than I was expecting coming in. If nothing else it's going to be interesting.

Good to see most of the series are at least a series and not a slaughter... and I don't mind seeing Boston and Nashville get slaughtered :rofl:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Nashville blew their one chance to steal a game in Denver, since the kid played out of his mind in goal.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DeSmith had core muscle surgery today and is done for the season and Jarry hasn't skated yet. Glad Domingue has been solid. He's not likely to steal them a game but he's good enough that if they play in front of him they can win.

Crash Dandicoot

» Supra-ise!
Reaction score
A bit late to the party but do you guys think Smith should get an Oscar for that dive? Bought and sold that penalty like it was going out of style