NHL 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

3. technomancer

They signed him to a one way deal for next year. Hopefully he's better for the Caps than he has been.

4. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Dallas was much more effective than I was expecting, especially as puck possession is concerned.

5. technomancer

Ugh rumor is Pens are trading Hornqvist for Matheson from Florida... because the Pens need a $5 million D man that can't play defense :facepalm:

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  6. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Hornqvist couldn't be reached for comment...

No really, he can't actually be reached to confirm the trade :lol:

Mr. Chainsaw and technomancer like this.
  7. ElysianGuitars

Dallas is back to folding under any sign of adversity. Gonna need to find another level to win on Friday. If not, this season is over Saturday.

8. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

After a game 1 that can be attributed to rest/fatigue, looks like the series is trending the direction most people would have expected.

To illustrate the unfair salary cap advantage Tampa has, their 8.5 million dollar captain, that hasn't played a single playoff game until last night, plays only a couple of shifts and scoring a goal... then leaves the game. Just plain rude at this point.

9. technomancer

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Looking like that Hornqvist trade got scuttles for now...

10. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Tampa's top line is absolutely unreal... can't believe they got Point with the 79th overall pick. Yeesh. Stamkos coming back for the first time in 7 months, scoring, then sitting back down is one for the books.

Dunno if you guys keep truck with advanced stats but the top line had a 92% expected goals share in game 2, WITHOUT Stamkos. Absolutely insane. Generally an all-elite top line will get maybe 55%. I can't even imagine how they manage to tilt the ice that much.

I don't think it's gonna work out for Dallas. It's Tampa's year. I'm pullin for them even though they absolutely fucked us over in 2004. They deserve it, although I really wish it had come down to a Colorado-Tampa final. Dallas has a lot to be excited about tho, their goalie tandem is clearly top tier and Heiskanen is a franchise #1 d-man at age 21. Giordano didn't get that good until he was 30 ffs.

11. ElysianGuitars

Pierre LeBrun says there's traction again :lol:

12. ElysianGuitars

13. technomancer

Damn it :realmad: So they traded a somewhat underperforming but still solid player for a massively underperforming dman on a REALLY bad contract and a mediocre bottom 6 player. Way to go JR.

Mr. Chainsaw likes this.
  14. ElysianGuitars

Sceviour is basically an AHL player, he's not gonna do much at the NHL level.

15. technomancer

Yep. I think the Pens need to stop worrying about "younger and faster" and worry about BETTER.

I figure Kapanen will be in the bottom six after 10 games tops, and from what I've seen the D is getting worse instead of better. Oh, and this also got rid of the only net front presence the Pens had. What a mess.

(I do like Kapanen, I just think they MASSIVELY overpaid for him and he has never really looked like a top 6 forward)

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

In the Toronto lineup/hierarchy, I don't think he was getting the ice time or being put a position to maximize his value. I am actually excited to see what he will be able to do given the opportunity in Pittsburgh, especially on a line with Crosby.

17. technomancer

Having watched the team, he'll get a shot and if he isn't on a Guentzgoal scoring pace he'll be bounced within 10 games. If you haven't noticed they've been "trading for a winger for Crosby" for 10 years now :lol:

I hope I'm wrong and the line is fantastic, I just don't see it happening.

As a fan it is frustrating as the team has some clear needs, and instead of addressing them JR is still thrashing around making basically mediocre trades. This latest is a prime example addressing getting younger and faster by adding a player that has been objectively horrible on a long-term contract that would fit a top four D man. If the kid turns around and is a top 4 then it will look brilliant, but there is no evidence that shows he will be, and the guys evaluating that potential are the same ones that thought Johnson was a top 4 defender.

18. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

When you are always in a "win now" mentality, you sign everything that moves and dig your own grave for later. Signing is easy, but now you're stuck trying to make trades as your only way out and finding a dancing partner is even more difficult.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  19. technomancer

Yeah unfortunately "win now" is being used as an excuse for just being stupid and short sighted.

EDIT: I should add that if the Pens get entry contract Matheson vs 2020 Matheson Rutherford will look like a genius :lol:

20. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

If you're going to call a penalty in overtime of a Stanley Cup Final, you better be 1000% sure its a penalty. Sorry Dallas, you got screwed out of the SCF. Tampa's pact with the devil continues.

I bet nobody thought THAT would be the metaphorical asterisks (*) on the Covid Cup.