NHL 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Stars have lost 6 in a row, so that's fun.

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

And there goes the NHL season. Apparently the on ice officials are being told to go ahead and get flights home.

3. ElysianGuitars

Official now. They hope to resume at some point.

4. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Just when I was starting to enjoy bugging you all with your Cup-contending teams :(

technomancer likes this.
  5. ElysianGuitars

Apparently Radulov has been sick for a bit and the Stars have been trying to get him a COVID-19 test. He still hasn't been checked for it. Thankfully he got better.

6. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

technomancer likes this.

No, not you. 1st round exit at best... :fawk:

7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Better first exit round than not making it at all and having your GM trade all your players picked in the first round :fawk:

Every day delay is a day closer to a healthy Pens lineup (and still having a first round exit :rofl:)

8. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

:rofl:

Let's say some scenario could play out where Philly swept into 1st place and you were matched against Washington in the 1st round... having finally lost to them in a series and watching them win a Cup of their own, how do you feel about the odds and/or your confidence going into that series? Rivalry...

9. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I have a regular passenger on the bus route I'm driving for this board period who has been working on an NHL20 Franchise Mode thingy from the Guelph Storm up.

At some point this week he was telling something about the Leafs winning 3 cups in a row once his player made the NHL.

I would take any results from NHL20 with more than a grain of salt. Maybe a barrel full.

technomancer and AdamMaz like this.
  10. technomancer

Honestly I literally have no clue what will happen when play resumes. The team has swung back and forth from looking like a Cup favorite to barely playing with literally no seaming reason for it so I am at a complete loss.

That said it was REALLY funny watching the local commentators trying to talk up Murray's performance against the Devils like he had a great game and was back to Cup winning form the other night... He gave up 2 goals for 22 shots, including his one soft goal per game he always coughs up, for .9 save percentage. Ha also made on amazing save... that he only had to make because he was 3 feet out of position after the first save in the sequence of play.

11. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Interesting. JD27, as a Caps fan I would be curious to see you answer the same question?

12. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Caps are literally playing .500 hockey. They’d probably drag it out 7 games and it would look similar to the first round series against the Canes. They have played better against the Pens then the other metro playoff teams though. Any team with a hard forecheck is going to beat them.

AdamMaz likes this.
  13. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Aside from the absurd prospect of the league starting as soon it is hoping to, I find it endlessly amusing that not only would the Canadiens just make the 24-team playoff cut, but that it would be against Pittsburgh in the 1st round :lol:

14. technomancer

I keep seeing this pop up as likely... with the way the Pens were playing and the long break I honestly have no idea how this will turn out :lol:

15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

As much as I would like to see hockey again, this is going to be a complete joke if it plays out.

16. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

The real question though is does Pittsburgh stand a chance?
    [​IMG]

17. technomancer

Will he be out of the hospital in time? I heard he had suffered a tragic couch related injury :rofl:

Though I guess since Murray has literally hurt himself stretching in the warmups of a playoff game and he is Sullivan's boy I shouldn't be talking smack about goalie injuries...

AdamMaz likes this.
  18. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I'm actually in the middle of rewatching the 2010 Playoff series between them two teams... man the disparity between them is shocking. Pens look great of course and the Habs look completely useless... hard to believe you guys lost that one. The Halak hype train at the time was huge, but in retrospect looks underwhelming so far... a testament to how bad the overall team was.

Although both teams are drastically different now, I wouldn't have any inferiority complex this time around. I think we Danault could contain Crosby well enough, but would be worried about the matchup against Malkin. I think we would need to repeat the 2010 series playing a defensively focused game, because even healthy I don't think we would be threatening enough to outscore you guys. A pity we sold off a handful of good depth players prior to the trade deadline, so I don't see us being well enough equipped, let alone for the long run.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  19. technomancer

I honestly have no idea how it will play out to be honest. If the Pens play in their own end and Murray shows up they should be fine, but Murray was awful before the season was stopped and the defense had a bad habit of getting lost in their own end a lot. I also have no doubt Murray will be the starter even though Jarry would probably be a much better choice against a team with a strong forecheck.

It is going to be interesting with all the guys who will be back from injury trying to sort out the lines and find chemistry in a playoff environment.