NHL 2017 - 2018

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned over who the Pens will replace ZAR with. If Hagelin still isn't ready, are they going to pull up Sprong or someone we've never heard of? This is really testing the depth at wing since I've already been tearing my hair out watching Dominik Simon whiff on some glorious scoring chances.

Yeah I have absolutely no idea... from some stuff I've read Sprong has a huge attitude problem and it is one of the things that has kept him out of the lineup. At this point you would hope Simon gets dropped to ZARs spot on the 4th line and Sprong comes in on the second line. Guess we'll find out tonight :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately not expecting the Pens to pull this series out at this point unless some of the guys that left with injuries are out for the series for the Caps. Murray is just flat out not good enough to win with this defensive core against the Caps as he is not going to steal games with defensive breakdowns like they showed tonight. That and even if they win next game, I suspect they will get distracted once Wilson is back in the lineup head hunting again and drop a game 7 if it happens.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unfortunately not expecting the Pens to pull this series out at this point unless some of the guys that left with injuries are out for the series for the Caps. Murray is just flat out not good enough to win with this defensive core against the Caps as he is not going to steal games with defensive breakdowns like they showed tonight. That and even if they win next game, I suspect they will get distracted once Wilson is back in the lineup head hunting again and drop a game 7 if it happens.
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'm not terribly confident in the Pens pulling this off either. Besides Crosby and Guentzel, we have a team of guys that look like they're taped together or running on fumes. Malkin and Kessel are obviously playing through injuries and Sullivan has resorted to playing Dominik Simon on the top line since losing ZAR (I hate what I've seen of Simon so far). Murray hasn't been nearly as good as he was the past couple years; this entire year seems like he's been having a rough time.

Then again, I wasn't totally confident in them lasting too long last year either, and that turned out alright. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not terribly confident in the Pens pulling this off either. Besides Crosby and Guentzel, we have a team of guys that look like they're taped together or running on fumes. Malkin and Kessel are obviously playing through injuries and Sullivan has resorted to playing Dominik Simon on the top line since losing ZAR (I hate what I've seen of Simon so far). Murray hasn't been nearly as good as he was the past couple years; this entire year seems like he's been having a rough time.

Then again, I wasn't totally confident in them lasting too long last year either, and that turned out alright. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

Yeah it is possible they beat the Caps twice... just not liking the odds. I will not be surprised if they get eliminated tonight. I also suspect you're right on Malkin and Kessel and possibly Brassard as well playing injured. Last game was the first time in the playoffs Kessel started to look like himself.

I also agree on Simon... he is a decent player but definitely does not belong on the top line. He had at least 4 glorious scoring opportunities in that last game and didn't put any of them away. That and Murray posting another sub-.900 game (partially due to Letang looking like he is either concussed or asleep) cost them the game.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Come on Caps!!

200w.webp

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is driving me nuts that the Pens are giving up the blue line EVERY SINGLE RUSH :facepalm:

You'd think somebody would have realized letting Washington skate the puck in is a bad idea :lol:

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Pav

???
Reaction score
Is it weird that I'm just relieved that it's over? Even if the Pens had won that series, they weren't going all the way. I think I prefer to just give it a rest for the year rather than hinging my hopes and dreams on a such a maddeningly inconsistent team. :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it weird that I'm just relieved that it's over? Even if the Pens had won that series, they weren't going all the way. I think I prefer to just give it a rest for the year rather than hinging my hopes and dreams on a such a maddeningly inconsistent team. :lol:

Yeah I was just hoping they would knock the Caps off :lol: That said I agree, I think fatigue was catching up to them and they need to improve their defensive core.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As expected while they didn't disclose the injuries they did confirm both Kessel and Brassard were playing injured.