NHL 2014 - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to mention, isn't Eric the superstar of the Staal's?

He'd be more apt to get close to $6M, but that's still a good chunk of change for someone who'd most likely be a third liner

Thing is Jordan was offered the same deal by the Pens, and the way he was playing when he was here I would say he was worth it... but he hasn't shown that level of play in his entire tenure with Carolina. He was one of the best shut down centers in the league when he was traded.

EDIT: Hurricanes GM Ron Francis says they aren't moving Jordan Staal, so it may be a moot point :lol:

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
Thing is Jordan was offered the same deal by the Pens, and the way he was playing when he was here I would say he was worth it... but he hasn't shown that level of play in his entire tenure with Carolina. He was one of the best shut down centers in the league when he was traded.

EDIT: Hurricanes GM Ron Francis says they aren't moving Jordan Staal, so it may be a moot point :lol:

Staal was really good, but no where close to one of the best. I'd even say Malkin was better when he was really on his game.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Staal was really good, but no where close to one of the best. I'd even say Malkin was better when he was really on his game.

He was the best at what he did and what the Pens desperately need right now. He shuts down the other team's best players, kills penalties, plays hard and puts up decent numbers at the same time.

Malkin was easily better, but they had different roles and play different games. Staal, when in the role best suited for him, is a dominant third line center with the potential to take over games. But in a much different way than Malkin.

Doesn't matter though because 1) the Canes aren't trading him and 2) The Pens would need to clear lots of cap.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I wouldn't really care to bring Jordan Staal back. Not only is that a shitload of cap space for another center but even as a top-six center in Carolina, he's registered something like 18 more points than Brandon Sutter has playing third line for the Pens in the three years since the trade. I love Staalsy but I feel like his market value has overtaken his actual performance.

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stars are gonna do something stupid tonight like win... Just watch... They don't have a chance in hell to make the playoffs, but they're too prideful to properly try to tank....

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Toronto trades Winnik (50% salary retained) to Pittsburgh for Sill, 2016 2nd round pick and 2015 4th round pick

Both teams get what they want. Pens add a big third liner who can fill in the top 6 and kill penalties, and also chip in 30-40 points. Leafs get a nice couple picks for their rebuild.

Zach Sill is meaningless. Not an NHL player.

Jets trade a 2016 3rd and conditional 2015 6th round pick to Carolina for Jiri Tlusty.

Good trade for the Jets, seems underwhelming for the Canes.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I like the acquisition of Winnik for this season, and Sill was worth a bag of pucks, I am less than thrilled with losing picks when the Pens have nothing worth talking about in the system at forward. That said if they manage extend Winnik it's not a bad deal at all.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah pricing of trades / contracts for UFAs has been going insane.

Also YAY the Pens actually won A GAME against the Caps this season :lol:

That said Ovi's temper tantrum going off the ice after the game was priceless

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
He was the best at what he did and what the Pens desperately need right now. He shuts down the other team's best players, kills penalties, plays hard and puts up decent numbers at the same time.

Malkin was easily better, but they had different roles and play different games. Staal, when in the role best suited for him, is a dominant third line center with the potential to take over games. But in a much different way than Malkin.

Doesn't matter though because 1) the Canes aren't trading him and 2) The Pens would need to clear lots of cap.

Malkin's just as good if not better at doing all of those things. The difference is he can also point up 100 points if he's used in an offensive role with the right crew. Staal was good, but when you consider his current contract Shero did a good job in letting him go. Staal is a third line center or a top 6 winger, but he ain't worth the cash he's making these days.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Malkin's just as good if not better at doing all of those things. The difference is he can also point up 100 points if he's used in an offensive role with the right crew. Staal was good, but when you consider his current contract Shero did a good job in letting him go. Staal is a third line center or a top 6 winger, but he ain't worth the cash he's making these days.

Shero offered him the exact same contract that Carolina signed him to :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The Maple Leafs traded for Nathan Horton. Yes, the same Nathan Horton that didn't play a single game with the Columbus Blue Jackets due to a degenerative back issue.

Gothic Headhunter

Born on a Monday
Reaction score

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not happy about it. Jagr was a real presence on the ice, and except Tootoo, no one on the Devils (forwards) is a physical as him. We should have at least gotten a 1st round draft pick. Still, hope things work out with Jagr and the Panthers.

I don't think there was any chance of anyone giving up a first round pick for a 43 year old rental, even Jagr :2c:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
What it does for the Leafs is frees cap space.

I don't see how. Horton made 5.3 million vs. Clarkson's 5.25 million, so it freed up a very measly amount in the scheme of things; is it technically SOME cap space, yes. Is it enough to really do anything with? Not that I can imagine how.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
I don't see how. Horton made 5.3 million vs. Clarkson's 5.25 million, so it freed up a very measly amount in the scheme of things; is it technically SOME cap space, yes. Is it enough to really do anything with? Not that I can imagine how.

Horton will be on non roster injured reserve, he won't count against the cap unless he comes back. CB can't even afford the cap, so paying Horton to not play simply doesn't work for them. Toronto has more money than god, so paying 5 million to not pay Clarkson's contract is quite ok with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.