NGD: year 2000 Universe UV777P

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by odibrom, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Jeries

Jeries Banned

Im sorry man, but looking again at it, it really makes this site show its original worth
    if Ibanez didn't make the universe (and 2228) the guitar world would be a different place

I find that, and your guitar, inspirational, and you are making me want to get another pickguard for my universe (apparently I got an early 1997 Japanese model) but it should be the same, the seller assured me the Japanese 1997 uv7p or w/e it is same iteration as 1998 uv777bk, just was released a little earlier in Japan

your guitar is so gorgeous....what do all them switches do again partner?

odibrom likes this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Warning, long confusing post ahead!

Yah Paul, I posted it at the Ibanez RG group recently, last week I think. Yes, I've connected the dots here and there :D

There have been some changes in the neck dimensions along the almost 20 years of this model. You should check you guitar's neck dimensions at the joint with the body. If the pickguard you get is for a later model, there will be a small gap (like 1 to 2 mm tops on each side) between the pickguard and the neck. If the pickguard you'll get is narrower at the neck, then just sand it down to size.

About the switches, well, there's a lot happening, totaling 73 different coil combinations as far as my math goes:
    1. That thing near the volume pot is an ON/OFF kill piezo switch. Cool shit, it has no mechanical parts, so there are no pop noises, but since it generates a signal when pressed, if I keep my finger pressing it, it will only kill the signal for a brief period of time.
    2. Tone and Volume knobs/pots are 1Mega ohms for open tones from of the pickups.
    3. The selector switch is a Freeway 5B5-01 switch with 2 rows of 5 positions. I can move from any position to any position. Top row position 1 is over bottom row position 1.
      1. Bottom row - classic Strat combo
        1. Bridge
        2. Bridge+Middle (parallel mix)
        3. Middle
        4. Middle+Neck (parallel mix)
        5. Neck
      2. Top Row
        1. Bridge+Middle (series Mix)
        2. Bridge+Middle+Neck (parallel mix)
        3. Bridge+Neck (series Mix)
        4. Bridge+Neck (parallel mix)
        5. Middle+Neck (series Mix)
    4. The 4 mini switches between the knobs manage each humbuckers' coils for a Seymour Duncan Tripleshot ring wiring scheme (links for Seymour Duncan page and a JPG file). These switches manage the humbuckers coils between the sellector switch and the humbuckers, which mean that their functions can be combined:
      1. the 2 closer to the Vol knob control the neck's coils
      2. the 2 closer to the Tone knob control the bridge's coils
      3. the 2 top ones control both humbuckers inner coils
      4. the 2 bottom ones control both humbuckers outer coils
      5. For each humbucker's set of switches they work as following:
        1. both switches up = coils work in series, common humbucker sound
        2. top switch down = inner coil split, meaning the pickup's inner coil is working and the outer coil is not
        3. bottom switch down = outer coil split, meaning the pickup's outer coil is working and the inner coil is not
        4. both switches down = coils work in parallel, less common humbucker sound, similar to coil split but with a bit more compression and hum canceling tones.

Yeah, it's overkill, I know, but that was a way to get the humbuckers' inner coils in series and also their coil split. But fear not, I just had a thought for a wiring scheme that could boost the combos' number way higher, replacing both the selector switch for a Freeway 3B3-01 and another Freeway 3X3-05 at the vol pot position, moving it to the tone position and eliminating the tone pot:
    The 3B3-01 (blade type) would manage the single/humbuckers mix and the 3X3-05 the humbuckers mix. These switches would both deliver 6 options:
    1. The Freeway 3X3-05 switch
      1. neck
      2. neck+bridge (parallel in phase)
      3. Bridge
      4. neck+bridge (series in phase)
      5. neck+bridge (series out of phase)
      6. neck+bridge (parallel out of phase)
    2. The freeway 3B3-01 switch
      1. Middle
      2. Middle+Humbucker selection (parallel in phase)
      3. Humbucker selection
      4. Middle+Humbucker selection (series in phase)
      5. Middle+Humbucker selection (series out of phase)
      6. Middle+Humbucker selection (parallel out of phase)
    Plus the 4 miniswitches for the humbuckers' coil management and there will be something like... 361 options? Yah, I know way out, but what other way could one face the Universe without a complete control of the vessel? Got the puns? :D

3. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I love it
    I love the post

did you get the piezo from a 2027x term?

odibrom likes this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm sorry, what piezo? this UV777P has no piezos. If I got the one with the edge pro trem, I'd surely be puting some piezos in somehow...

I was replying to the string gauge question earlier, justifying why I use 9-54 string set with the saddle size of the RG2027XVV guitars, maybe that wasn't explicit? sorry...

Jeries likes this.
  5. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

I think he was referring to your statement about the piezo kill switch, probably thought it meant a kill switch for a piezo system, not a piezo style kill switch lol

Jeries and odibrom like this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

Oh, in that case, the answer is no, I bought it at my local radio supply store. It's an ON/OFF switch that works by liberating a small electric current when touched, generated by its internal piezo element. There are a few viriants, mainly on the switch sensitivity and, of course, in shapes and sizes. It has only 2 contacts, it's passive (no batteries) and is wired in parallel to the rest of the circuit. When it generates an electric signal, it bypasses the electric flow inside the guitar, cutting the sound. Super cool, but this one in particular is way too stiff, I have to apply too much pressure for my taste. I have another that is way more sensible, but am yet to wire it. These aren't cheap, but ain't expensive also... well, whatever that means to each one's pockets, they're around 15 to 30 € if I remember correctly and depending on material and sensitivity to pressure. More sensible = higher price, metal versus plastic construction is also a factor.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Jeries likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

Conan2000.jpg

aesthyrian and odibrom like this.