NGD: year 2000 Universe UV777P

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by odibrom, Nov 20, 2020.

1. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    As some of you knew, this had to happen sooner or later, I mean the posting of this NGD, so here it is... photos first since it's all you guys care about (I know I do), because
    :worth:

... and then some infos for those who like to read :D .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, I bought this guitar a couple weeks ago as some of you might remember from a legitimacy thread I created about her. Neck is dated from 1998. She was a bit messy, dirty and in need of a new pickguard. I have been working around the pickguard since then, tracing it, redrawing it, printing it, testing with a scrap of acrylic I had around and finally, sending it to laser cut (it cost me 14.5€, super cheap!). It came perfect, although it's not beveled. The screws' heads beds were done by me and in the future I'll try to bevel next iterations as well, some in HumHum layout or if I'm at it in HS layout. Here are the original shattered pickguard (on the left) and my test bed one (on the right), roughly hand cut by me, but it served its purpose.

[​IMG]

... and so you may ask, what the f**k is happening in there? so many buttons and switches!... well, I had to, I can't help myself... here's the deal: 73 coil combos!... yep 73. Let me explain, it now features a 5B5-01 Freeway switch with the 1st strat SSS wiring they suggest for pickup combinations, then, I'll use those mini-switches to manage the humbuckers' coils. Then, that bump at the Volume knob side is a touch style piezo electric... (you guessed it) Kill Switch. It also has 1 mega Ohm pots for volume and tone to open up its tone. The guitar's cavity is packed really tight due to all the extra switches and connectors... yes, I can swap components like the switches, the pickups or even the entire pickguard if I want to without soldering!... in this photo, the wiring job was half way done (in the final pickguard), without the pickups installed yet.

[​IMG]

The kill switch (that black thing on the top of last photo) is quite interesting. I must say it was an experiment I needed to do, to use a touch style button as a kill switch. It is wired the same as any other kill switch, in parallel with all the remaining wiring and works by hitting it. It's passive as doesn't need no battery to operate. When hit, it short cuts the wiring and mutes the sound, but only for a fraction of time. I think the harder I'l kit it, the longer the sound cut will be, but to be honest I haven't played with it much (I just finished this project last night, so bear with me please), but it feels sturdy and pretty much functional. it won't keep the signal cut if I rest my fingers over it, even after hitting it. Since it's a piezo electric thing, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it's when it generates an electric signal that it cuts the sound. When I'm resting my fingers, it won't generate any electric signal, so the sound will keep on passing. With mechanical kill switches, they kill the sound while being pressed, not so with this one, but not the less fun to play with I must say. I think that there might be different sensibilities in these switches, so, I'll investigate that further on.

... and last but not least, I had to take a family photo of my 7s. I know it's not a big family, but it's mine and I love it. I'm not much of a gear flipper, so I wait until the right opportunity arrives. these are my ladies and I love them all. If you got any questions, shoot them up!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

No switch to bypass the electronic and go directly to the jack output?
    Also, nice Jackson collection.

odibrom likes this.
  3. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Nice catch ! congrats man, but I'm more curious about that strange fretless? rg 7x21 ! (-°)

LordIronSpatula and odibrom like this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

A blower switch is something I haven't tried yet. I think it won't do much since I already use 1M ohm pots...

@77zark77 that was an RG7321, it had a fingerboard swap earlier this year. It features a Sustainiac sustainer and Graphtech Ghost piezo system. It's unstringed due to a severe backbow. It's on hold to be repaired next January by the shop that did the swap job, for free...

It's a super fun guitar to play with...

77zark77 likes this.
  5. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Wow, that’s a lot of switches going on there, looks clean....congrats and nice score!

Great collection too. :yesway:

odibrom likes this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

This family photo only represents the 7 stringers, there's an Ibanez S540 from '93 and an RG8 in the closet waiting for their play time... I only use 7s for my stuff...

The mini switches are well organized (I think): the top row controls the inner coils, the bottom row controls the outer coils; the "tone" column controls the bridge humbucker's coils, the "volume" column controls the neck humbucker's coils. When both switches (per pickup) are up, the humbucker is in series mode, when both are down it's in parallel mode, when one is down, it is coil splitting the humbucker for that particular coil. This way I can get inner our outer coils only pretty fast, activating 2 switches at once. With the help of the selector switch, I can get only the humbuckers' inner or outer coils, either in series or parallel, or a diferent combinaton for diferent tone flavors...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Shawn likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

@77zark77 here's a foreground picture of the RG7321 fretless. I bought it specifically to defret it.

[​IMG]

Shawn, budda, 77zark77 and 2 others like this.
  8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

HNGD! Cool switches 4 tha bitches too.

odibrom likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

lol, thanks bro.

10. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey folks, kind of late since this has been done at the end of last year, but here it is, I've made some "visual upgrades", can you guess what it was? Big pics for lots of detail...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]