NGD x2 - wierd 80's content

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by broj15, Oct 28, 2018.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Made a couple sweet scores this weekend. First off we have a pretty beat, but completely playable Aria Pro II Ts500.

[​IMG]

This guitar is kind of an odd ball. It belonged to a friend of mine and I've had an eye on it forever. He finally decided to sell it and I couldn't buy it from him quick enough. It's missing the coil tap switch which is fine by me since I'd never use it. The serial # dates it to 1980 and it has a sticker that indicates it's a ts500, as well as having a set neck, but it looks like alot of other ts500's had more complex control layouts, like the other high end models in the series.

Either way this thing plays like a dream and the brass nut adds a nice tonal quality to open chugz. It has a little bit of free buzz, but that should be easily remedied with a set up.

I'm really excited about this one. It's an Honer "the jack" headless 6 string, officially licensed by Steinberger.

[​IMG]

This. Guitar. Slays. End of story. Walked into guitar center today and saw this sitting there for $300. I haven't really bonded with the roadstar II I bought a few months ago, so I drove straight home to grab it and traded it in for this. Its super light weight and plays like an absolute dream. Not sure what the story on the pickups is ("select by emg"?) But the sound is amazing. The bridge pickup is relatively high output and pretty compressed sounding, but I honestly like it for playing grindy stuff. Each pickup having it's own on/off switch is super handy and offers alot of tonal variations. Unfortunately it uses the old double ball end steings, but I'm planning on getting one of the single ball adapters from Headless USA unless anyone knows of a better option.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

That aria looks sweet.

broj15 likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Great guitars. Both.

broj15 likes this.
  4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I. Like. That. Headless. One.

broj15 likes this.
  5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Two problems with the Aria that I spotted right away:

1. Needs Kluson style tuner buttons, as all 3x3 headstocks should have
    2. It needs to be in my home, for proper doom/drone riffage

No time to spare now, chop chop

6. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Congrats!!!

Hohner built some great guitars in the 80s, they even built a signature Telly for Prince, but their Steinberger licensed models were the pinnacle of their line.

"select by EMG" were passive PUs built in Korea under EMG license, that should mimic the look and sound of their active counterparts made in USA. They were not bad, but not really good either, so investing in a decent set of PUs should give you a substantial upgrade.

7. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Very nice guitar finds you have...congrats. I like the colour of the second one.;)

;>)/

broj15 likes this.
  8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

This guitar was made for doom lol. All these years I've seen my friend play gigs with his guitar and always loved the tone, but figured it came from somewhere else in his right, but nope. 5 minutes after plugging it in I already had a near perfect doom/sludge tone dialed in.

Hmmm. I'm tempted to replace them, but I'd ha e no idea what I'd swap in, and I honestly am really digging the sound of these already. The cleans could honestly be a little better, but besides that I think these sound great. Theyre definitely tight, but not "djenty" and that's what I like about them.

Also today I ordered one of those $10-$15 single ball adapters to replace the "nut" on this one so I can use my preferred string guage. Once that comes in I guess I'll try my hand at setting it up. I've done a bit of research, read some guides, and watched a youtube video, but if someone possibly had a diagram or PDF showing all the parts in the system and how they fit together that would definitely help me understand it more. That way i can avoid taking it completely apart and putting it back together like I did with my first FR equipped guitar.

9. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Very nice!

Takes me back to the guitar shops of the day. Used to try a lot of Aria Pro II guitars.

My second (technically- though third really- my first was commandeered from my brother, then I got a guitar of my own, but didn't give Bro back the other one!! He went the DJ way) was a Hohner ST Graphite. So it was a Strat type, with a replica of a Kahler floating bridge and a Modulus graphite neck. I still have the neck with the vague idea of building a new guitar around it. I probably never will! Had lots of fun with that guitar back in the day.

10. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Super sweet, I love finding stuff from brands that have gone by the wayside. That Aria is super doomy, for sure.

Are these both Korean?

11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

The Aria is Japanese (matsumoku factory) and I'm assuming the hohner is Korean.

12. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

I've written maintenance instructions for the R-Trem some time ago, you can download the PDF here. It shows the components of the R-Trem and might help understanding how it works.

broj15 likes this.
  13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Ayy that's a huge help actually. Thanks a ton!

14. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The "Select by EMG" pickups were, as mentioned, a budget option. Certainly not high end pickups, but if you like them, why change them?

I had fun stealing playtime on an old Jack Bass when I worked at a pawn shop - Hohner definitely built that line to a high standard.

broj15 likes this.
  15. monkeychunki

monkeychunki SS.org Regular

Congrats, don’t normally like the look of headless but the Honer looks cool

broj15 likes this.
  16. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

That Aria Pro 2 brings me back old memories: my first ever electric guitar was an Aria Pro 2 Cardinal Series back when I was 11.

HNGD !

broj15 likes this.