NGD x2 - Homemade RG influenced six stringers

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by RideFour15, Nov 24, 2019.

1. RideFour15

RideFour15 SS.org Regular

Over the last two years I've been dabbling in a little woodworking as I've collected tools to fix up the house we bought five years ago.

In September I bought an 8/4 x 8" x 8' board of quartersawn Sapele at the local Woodcraft and then ordered a neck from Warmoth, then used the Hipshot hardware and Seymour Duncan pickups leftover from an epic fail of a guitar build attempt six years ago to finish it off. This went towards the first build, which is the solid sapele body.

I had more than half that board still leftover, so I bought a billet of flamed maple from Woodcraft again, split it in half using my tablesaw to bookmatch, discovered an ugly knot in the middle that I tried to hide the worst of with the toggle switch, and built a second guitar with another Warmoth neck, more Hipshot hardware, and Hexbucker pickups by Guitar Madness on eBay, trying to learn from all the mistakes and struggles I made/had with the first build.

Very happy how both play, although the saddles for the bridges are both sky high despite the neck pockets being about as deep as they can be, and I have a bit of buzz I'm trying to get rid of when I hold power cords on the lower frets (open through third frets, roughly).

Let me know what you think!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Wolfhorsky, danpintos, MSS and 21 others like this.
  2. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

Dang, those are beautiful. That is some nice work.

3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

How the hell are you supposed to get to those upper frets?
    Just kidding, I love it, that looks playable as hell. Great work, those look amazing and fun to play!

4. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Nice! I recently got a guitar made with a Sapele body. Do you know which Duncan’s you have in there? I have a custom wound in mine right now which I like but I’m tempted to try a distortion.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

congrats...

i like how the volume knobs a set back so you don't hit them while palm muting

6. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

Now that's a comfortable looking upper fret access!

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Fret Buzz between the first three frets could be the result of back bow. As for the bridge saddles, you may need to get some shims to put in the neck pocket to raise the fretboard up, basically.

Edit: misspoke. The fret buzz on the first three frets could be due to a nut that is filed too low. Either add a shim under the nut, or get a new one.

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Great work and nice headstock choice. :agreed:

9. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Nice job, and very nice choices

10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Those guitars look gorgeous with the wood grains. They also haves better upper fret access compared to a Gibson SG.:dime:

;>)/

11. RideFour15

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Yes, I did want good upper fret access - I'm not much of a lead player, but the last guitar I played a ton was a Jackson RR3 and I was not a fan of the [lack of] upper fret access on that!

They're both Distortions. Haven't plugged it into my tube amp (which hasn't been turned on in many years), but through all my metal amp sims on my PodXT they sound pretty good. Not very balanced in output, though, and I had to make the bridge humbucker quite a bit closer to the strings. I don't remember ever having to do that with my old JB/Jazz sets.

I took everything I hated about guitars I've played in the past with barely accessible switches and fixed that here!

I never considered checking if the nut was low. I don't think it's back bow as I barely have any tension added to the truss rod as it is. Still have a lot of work to do with adjustments as the guitars both acclimate to the humidity in the house (they spent weeks in the garage while getting worked on and now we're dealing with the season changing).

As for shims, I've been considering them but they're like $8 a piece at Stew Mac and that could potentially be a lot of money (getting shims of different degrees) to try something that may or may not help.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  12. RideFour15

While on the topic of the action and buzzing, does this look normal for a Hipshot bridge? I have the neck pockets both as deep as I feel comfortable routing them, and both bridges are the .125 version.

I swung by Guitar Center the other day to see what production guitars are like, but most of the hardtails had Hipshot knock-offs with very thick bases, and the only guitar with what looked like a real Hipshot was a Schecter 7 string. The fretboard height on that looked the same as my guitars and the pocket didn't look angled, yet the saddles on the bridge were lower than I can get mine without a ton of buzzing.

Here's what I'm looking at for both of my builds. Necks and bridges are both identical parts:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.52.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.52.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.52.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.53.00 AM.png

decoy205 likes this.
  13. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

These are some well cut pieces of wood. Damn.