NGD x 4!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TMM, Apr 29, 2011.

1. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

(not sure which forum was a better spot for this, since it involves 2 types of NGD)

So, over the course of about 2 months (is that right Steve? Can't recall exactly when I started), via selling, buying, selling, buying, I have, notably without adding any supplementary funds, now successfully turned a MK-IV rackmount head, a TightMetal pedal, and a TC Nove Drive into:

1) a PODxt-Pro (not pictured)
    2) an Orange PPC112
    3) my beloved old Bodenhamer Leviathan (!!!!!) w/ new custom faceplate
    4) and...

[​IMG]

4) (cont'd) the :tmm: KxK Fierce Grape 8 :tmm:

I love all of it, except the PPC112. I actually hate that, and as I'm typing this, have already sold it (had it less than a week). I should have realized I would, as I didn't get along at all with the PPC412 I played a couple times recently, either. I can see where some people like it, but definitely not my thing.

I realized as I was typing out a post recently on the best ODs out there that, although I liked my Nova Drive, I really needed the old Leviathan back, because nothing compared to it. As luck would have it, the guy I sold it to had just decided to sell almost all of his gear, and was happy to sell it back. Even cooler, he had added a custom faceplate to it, which is absolutely badass (will take a closer pic later). Too bad he swapped out the ultraviolet LED, though.

PODxt-Pro - no real explanation here. For quickly recording ideas & silent practicing, it's a really great, cost-efficient solution. I think this is the 8th or 9th one of these I've owned. I will almost certainly sell this one at some point, too. Probably right around the time my DAR FBM-PX shows up.

... and, on to the part that you will probably care about the most - the Grimace signature KxK Sii8! This guitar is actually the prototype to the Sii8 I ordered from Rob (still in progress), so I suspected I was going to love it, feature-wise, and was not disappointed. It plays every bit as well as my old Sii7 (if not better), and is awesomely comfortable to play. The neck is thin enough to put even an RC7 to shame, and the upper fret access is nothing short of epic. I don't see this one going anywhere anytime soon. It may even stick around after I have my own Sii8 in-hand. The only thing I'm not really loving ATM is the pickup choice - both BKPs, a VH-II in the neck, and a Rebel Yell in the bridge. Neither is really the sort of pickup I'd usually go for. On first playing, I was getting along with the VH-II better than the Rebel Yell, but after hours of tweaking my setup to work with these (their tone is massively different from the Oni), I'm actually liking the Rebel Yell a lot more than the VH-II. It's super, super tight, with great clarity, and awesome harmonics. I suspect it would actually be ideal for all the djent-lovers out there. It's almost a little too tight for my tastes, and it doesn't have the level of low-mid push that I typically like in a pickup (my Rackto prefers low-mids, too).

I played it through a Triple-X and a 5150-III today, each through both the 5150-III cab and a PPC412, and through both amps & both cabs, it was actually pretty awesome. Didn't need a boost with either to have huge gain and awesome tightness. It almost made me want to buy the Triple-X on the spot, and just have an amp per guitar :rolleyes: Still, I'd like something that works better with my setup, so I'll likely be switching these out soon.

All in all, it's been a great couple of weeks. Can't wait for my FBM-PX to come in to add to the mix!

2. Kali Yuga

Kali Yuga SS.org Regular

sho is a purdy gitfiddle

3. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Hehe yeah I think it was around 2 months ago you started, maybe a bit longer.

Your conclusions are about the same as mine were about the pups, we go for very different tones, but I really like the Rebel Yell and wasn't thrilled with the VHII.

Take good care of it, as you've realized it's a KILLER guitar :D (might eventually order an 8 scale, and go with a smurf color scheme :lol:)

I think if this hadn't gone to you to stay in the family as it were I would have kept it, but since it was going to a fellow KxK whore I figured this would let me pay off the last KxK order I still owe money on :lol:

5. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Killer!, glad "Grimace" found a new home, I can't tell you how many times I drooled over the pics when Technomancer put it up for sale, but I didn't have the money or the 8 string playing experience to justify it.

6. johnythehero

johnythehero The kid

do it do it NAOW :lol:

7. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Holy shit that guitar is awesome :eek:

fuuu thats a nice rig man. must sound crushing in person.

8. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

Nice! We both got purple guitars this week. It's crazy you posted this today. I just tried to fire up my Leviathan, and it won't work. I've only used it one other time. I don't think I'll be able to ever get ahold of Joe to have him check it out.

9. groph

groph SS.org Regular

the multicolors. They give me boners (I'm drunk)

10. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Yeah, I don't hate the Rebel Yell, I just think I could find something else I'd like better. That said, I've been thinking since playing it through the 5150-III & Triple-X (unboosted for both) - it doesn't do as well paired with an OD to boost the Rackto, I think because it already has a pretty tight tone curve. I wonder if it may do better with a compressor to even it out a little, and bring up it's level, instead of an OD? I may explore that before going through the trouble of disassembling the covers.

Happy to 'keep it in the family'! Funny you mention smurfs... now that I already have a purple KxK, I was considering changing the color of the one I ordered from a deep purple marbalize to a deep blue marbalize. Still undecided, though.

Oh man, sorry to hear that! It just won't power up? Or it's not operating properly? If it's just not powering up, that may be a relatively easy fix. Not sure if you've opened the box up or not, but there's not a whole lot to it.

Thanks! It sounds crushing with the Oni. It sounds super, super tight and aggressive with the KxK, but I wouldn't say crushing. That's what I'm looking to change with the pickup swap :yesway:

11. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

sweet! Any clips of the Bodenhamer Leviathan? I've literally never heard one and I want to check it out.

12. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Well let me put it this way... it looks royally crushing anyway :)

13. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

In fact, I do:

14. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

It won't power up at all. I pulled the chassis open last night. I don't see anything loose. I'll have to start checking the continuity of the wiring during my break at work on Monday. Seems like Joe could have organized this wiring a little better.

15. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

How many rack spaces is the rackto? Been eyeing one for a while, and they seem to be revered as even more killer than the head version, for reasons unknown to me!

More on topic, the grape 8 is gorgeous.

16. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

The Racktos use different transformers than the heads, which their slightly different tonal characteristics have been heavily attributed to. Yes, I like the Rackto better than any head version Recto I've played, be it 2ch, 3ch, dual, triple, rectoverb, or road king. It just has 'that something' that the others don't, to my ear.