NGD x 2 - RGD Prestige Content

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by _Mick_, May 19, 2020.

1. _Mick_

_Mick_ Gear Whore

Oh boy, I have been pretty dang lucky with these two.

I've always been trying to snag a Prestige RGD after having 2 Indo ones (RGD7421 and RGD6 Multiscale). Theres just something about the shape and extra scale length that really do it for me. So I finally stopped buying J Customs and got off my ass to find a Prestige RGD. Heres what happened next.

Firstly I picked up this classy RGD2127z after wanting one since they came out and it has not disappointed. Scored it for a reasonable price and it was screaming out for some gold treatment. Slapped some DiMarzio Titans in it and thrown into Drop Ab. Oooft, absolute monster.
    The glossing on the satin finish is to be expected but unfortunate. This one is too far gone to save but it'll look cool as it gets played more.

Now that I've been completely sucked into the RGD train, I jump back online to see if I can find another one, stumbling across a mint condition RGD3127. I missed out on this one but was waaaaaay too keen on one to stop there.
    I checked in with the Ibanez distributor (perks of working in a music store) and find that there is only ONE left in the warehouse and they wont be restocking. I pull some strings, talk some shit and I get a message from my mate with no words, just a photo of the box. I'm freaking out cause it's finally here.

In comes the last brand new RGD3127 in Australia. I am in love. The white pearl flat is super sleek and looks incredible in person. The birdseye maple board is pretty average and honestly I dont even care. I got pretty lucky going blind on this one (as I always do) and this is definitely a keeper.
    Tempted to throw a set of camo battleworn Juggernauts in it, or satin covered Ionisers or something. Can't quite decide on the aesthetic haha.

And to fix the satin glossing issue, tomorrow I'm going to completely disassemble the guitar and apply a matte ceramic coating to all the body and face of the headstock. It'll never scratch, chip or gloss ever. Stoked!

Anyways, heres what you came for.
    Hopefully the pictures work. Heres a link for IMGUR just in case, they'll be better quality too https://imgur.com/a/7aA7AOA?grid

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

Damn, that's a fantastic pair of guitars. The only thing I'd do would be either black pickups on the black one or gold pickups on the white one. Other than that, they're a perfect pair.

_Mick_ likes this.
  3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Really nice set, they go well together! Looks like a stormtrooper and Vader.

Happy NGD!

_Mick_ likes this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

This guy gets it! Used prestiges always win!

_Mick_ likes this.
  5. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Any major differences / comparisons between the two models to justify the market price difference?

_Mick_ likes this.
  6. Musiscience

I wouldn't think so, just a price increase over the years.

_Mick_ likes this.
  7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Nice! I've owned my RGD2127z since about a year after they were released. I was incredibly tempted to pick up the 3127 because of the white finish and maple fretboard but I never pulled the trigger.

Congrats on the twins!

_Mick_ likes this.
  8. _Mick_

_Mick_ Gear Whore

Thanks heaps man! Im thinking satin nickel covers on the white one to match in with the hardware. I'd do golds in there if a gold Lo Pro wasnt 5 bajillion dollars haha.
    Thats the plan haha, kinda like a pimped Vader for sure!
    Only the black one is used haha. But most of my Ibanez collection is exactly that, Used Prestiges for the win!

Lo Pro Edge vs Edge Zero is always a factor. Edge being Japanese built compared to the EZ being Korean(I think?) Neck feels identical. Body wood is the same. Really the price difference is the cost of the bridge swap and the forever increasing cost of production. Unpopular opinion but I seriously love the Edge Zero, wish it was still around. That being said I do love the Lo Pro a smidge more.

Thanks so much! I wish I done it sooner. Somehow I just kept forgetting they exist because they're somewhat hard to find here in Aus for whatever reason. So hard that I found my Green Dot Universe in mint condition before I got one of these. You should definitely pull the trigger. The white and maple looks killer in person.

buck fever and odibrom like this.
  9. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Shit fire!

Congrats x 2!!

_Mick_ likes this.
  10. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I definitely cannot buy one right now since I just bought my PRS CE24 and I haven't played my RGD2127z in a long time. Plus, there are other guitars on my list that I'm going to be getting before another RGD. Interesting note though, when the RGD3127z came out, they were US only for a year or two before Ibanez decided to open them up to other markets.

11. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

camo would not go with the classy look on the white, anything else, chrome, gold, white, just not camo

12. davefishman777

davefishman777 AKA ALPHA DEALER

13. davefishman777

davefishman777 AKA ALPHA DEALER

Meet their new family memeber! And congrats on your score! Resized_20200515_235051.jpeg Resized_20200516_021754.jpeg Resized_20200515_232458.jpeg Resized_20200515_221412.jpeg Resized_20200515_221802.jpeg Resized_20200515_221811.jpeg Resized_20200515_221307.jpeg Resized_20200516_145507.jpeg Resized_20200515_223218.jpeg Screenshot_20200517-235608.png

Shawn, shupe13 and _Mick_ like this.
  14. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!

I really like the RGD's I've played. I regret not buying a used RGD a few years back that had BKP's in it for a pretty decent price, it felt and played so well.

_Mick_ likes this.
  15. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Congratulations! I'm a big fan of the RGD2127, one of Ibanez's best seven strings imho.

_Mick_ likes this.
  16. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Congrats!!! Kickass new guitar day!!!

_Mick_ likes this.
  17. _Mick_

_Mick_ Gear Whore

dude they’re so good, I seriously don’t know why I waited so long for these. I remember sitting there in 2011 stuck between buying a Xiphos 7 and a RGD2127 and the Aus dollar made them basically the same price at the time. Regret not swinging to the RGD, silly 17 year old me haha.

dude hands down is totally one of the best models. It’s getting more play time than my 2 J Custom RG8527’s

thanks heaps man! NGD is always so sick!

nightlight and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  18. _Mick_

_Mick_ Gear Whore

Sorry to double post
    I seen your NGD yesterday and was drooling hard! The RGDR is so sick! I wish they weren’t out of stock in Australia right now, definitely on the list to buy.

Also to note, I just got the white one back from ceramic coating it. And I must say that the results are seriously impressive.

I’m not sure why I’m surprised as I detail cars and apply these coatings frequently. But the level of clarity the coating alone gave the factory paint is insane. The white pearl flakes actually pop up in the finish instead of being dull and weird, not glossy but just very visible now.

If anyone else is looking to protect their matte/satin finish on their guitar, definitely look into a high quality coating. DM me if you need some guidance.

davefishman777 likes this.
  19. Musiscience

Can you elaborate on the ceramic coating? I'm trying to find some info online but can't find anything. I (personally) would be super cautious about putting an aftermarket finish on an expensive guitar with few or no infomation available.

What is your experience with them?

20. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

I would stick with the white pickups on that one. Looks classy.