NGD: Why exactly didn't those Charvels sell?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by mbardu, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

So it appears those Charvel Desolation are on the discount at the moment...

Best guitar below 1500$ at the store I was in today (went to try a few Gibsons and was appalled by the terrible finish and fret jobs... :nono:). And Waaayyyy below 1500$ at that: A DC-1-FR that I brought home with me instead of an LP. And very few guitars that played better AT ALL regardless of price (Exceptions: usual suspects of a couple PRSi, MM and one used Carvin).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit and finish are CRAZY good for the price... Nothing is out of line, eveything is straight, the neck pseudo binding is perfect, as are the inlays, as are all the paints etc...
    A very light setup and it plays amazing. 12-16" compound fretboard to top that :shred: . Sounds HEAVY with the EMGs, and stays in tune perfect.
    The top veneer is actually pretty deep with a surprising chatoyance. Top is carved too.

This thing has a super smooth dark Rosewood fretboard (the dry brownish Gibbies next to it made me sad...), a 3-piece gunstock oiled neck-through neck (mahogany, just like the body) - and VERY good fretjob, with rolled end of frets. Guessing the woods are not super top grade considering the target market ... but it's tough to tell. Nice grain, well resonant, neck even looks quartersawn.

So my question...Why didn't those sell?
    Is it the bling (not worse than some LTD 1000s)? The odd shape?
    I was doubtful when I saw the 'Crafted in China', but a few minutes is enough to realize that this is every bit as good as a VERY good guitar out of Worlds Music Instruments & Co. On the level of VERY good PRS SEs, and much better than your basic import Jacksons or LTDs..

:scratch:

Black43, Dooky, Scruffy1012 and 7 others like this.
  2. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

These are solid guitars. I loved the single cut I had, but the body was just too small for me. I currently have a DST-3 FR that is the bees knees.

HNGD

3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Ha one thing I forgot to mention actually.
    Small lightweight body too. That's a plus in my book - but I could understand not pleasing everyone.

4. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

I don't know either. I own a DC-1 ST in flat black (best sounding EMG axe I played so far, really fat sounding + endless sustain), a DS-1 Pro Stock in gold and a SK-3 in marigold (2014 line). I also owned but selled a DS-2 ST (in blue smear) just because it was obsolete, but will buy a 2014 line DS-3 in snow white when it's available here. And I will buy more of those Desolations in the future. Anyway, perfectly fine guitars for small money. They are a joy to play, perfectly shaped necks, really quality build even in the lowest line, lightweight, resonant and whatnot. But ppl will continue to hate...

5. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

I've never played one, but it looks like it would be right up my alley. Cool guitar, man. Just looking at it, I can't see any reason why it would get hate. Enjoy, dude! HNGD!

6. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Reminds me of Caparison Angelus. I DIG!

:yesway:

7. Pat_tct

Pat_tct SS.org Regular

HNGD man. those are really cool guitars for the price. only thing i dislike about them that most (or all?) have those gaudy abalone bindings and inlays

8. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

HNGD! The Desolation series looks really cool if nothing else, IMO anyway.

I have a white Desolation Star. I've warmed up to it now and actually like it, but my initial experience was very disappointing. The first one I ordered had very obvious finish flaws, big finish lines going down the length of the body where the neck runs. I swapped it for another which actually STILL has finish lines but they're barely noticeable. On top of that, the stock pot was really sluggish, the pickup selector was super stiff, and I don't know what they did to the trem claw screws but they're hard as shit to turn. And the frets are SUPER small, which I find hilarious since they're listed on the website as "jumbo."

All that said, the Floyd is great, the unfinished neck feels awesome, and I love how it looks. That's really all I wanted out of it and now that I've upgraded the electronics and relocated the strap buttons I genuinely enjoy playing it. But if other experiences were like mine then I can see why they wouldn't be so well received.

9. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

I'm with you man. I had a skatecaster briefly which was immensely impressive for being $399. I found the neck to be too thin for my liking, but the quality was there.

It might the the binding that put people off. It looks so sparkly in pictures but I found it to be fairly subdued in real life. The paddle headstock is also not to everyone's taste probably. Those are my guesses.

Anyways, HNGD! Sounds like you found an especially good one.

10. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Because Charvel fans aren't into Schecters.

11. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

These look really nice. How's the upper fret access? It just seems quite horrid in the pictures and it has put me off somewhat.

12. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Let me tell you why...

Headstock!

Jk :DDD Happy new guitar day, mate!

13. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

IIRC the first Desolations out of the factory had many flaws. Most likely due to that (first reviews really bashing them) people didn't give them the chance they deserved. I've played 3 guitars of that same model when searching to buy a FR guitar for a nephew of mine and 2 of them where really good for the money. The first one they passed me though...was firewood material.

14. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yep - easiest way of putting it hahahah

15. max3000

max3000 SS.org Regular

They came at a time where the market was chalk full of these EMG loaded, fancy maple veneer, mid-range price guitars for metalheads. Schecters, ESPs, Jacksons etc.

The crowd it was aimed at saw those brands at the top because that's what their idols played. They didn't care about Charvel. For them it was an 80s brand for hair/glam metal players.

16. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Honestly your photos make them seem a lot better than the ones advertised on several sites. All the ads I've seen make them look too blinky and with kind of washed out colors. Not being able to find one in person and play it would be a big no for a lot of people too. Anyway your thread made me reonsider them and of course HNG!

17. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

or TL;DR:

Are also, to be honest, the reasons I had in mind...

I had not heard about the early quality issues though. Seems quite surprising considering what I see on my guitar. Unless they had early issues and quickly turned them around?
    I would think 'luck', but there were two similar models at the shop that were not too shabby either!

18. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Yeah...about that...yeah...

But it's actually not too fugly in person ;)

19. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It's quite goodup to about fret 22, unless I'd imagine if you have huge hands (not my case). 24 is a small stretch.

Not the best I've seen (favorite for me: Carvin DC600), but better than many!

20. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

I tried a skatecaster. Love the shape, neck was ok. But unfortunately the abalone is overkill.