NGD Warmoth Bari-caster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Bearitone, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Pics first:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuckin love how it came out aesthetically. The guitar tech I paid to mount the bridge and add a blower switch messed up the wiring though. Bridge pickup only works when the blower switch is on so I'll have to fix that.

Also, even after the strings have been stretched it won't hold tune to save its life. Not sure what to do here. I checked the nut and it all appears to be filed properly. Its also graphtec so I doubt that is the point of friction causing tuning instability.
    Maybe its at the saddle? Idk.

Assuming I am able to work out the kinks I may give it a floyd rose in the future. But, its future looks bleak as of now. Bummer.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Looks super sleek man, congratulations! I see two battery boxes. Do you have a piezo system aside from active pickups?

Bearitone likes this.
  3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Wow dude that is fucking killer! Nice build man! I'd tap thing hard and fast!

Bearitone likes this.
  4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    The battery box is actually empty. I decided to opt for it to make the guitar a little more future-proof in case i want to go with active pickups or some other doo-dads later on

Edika likes this.
  5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Looks slick!

If it's just one string thats going out I'd go saddle, but if it's the whole guitar it could just need settling a little bit if you've just put it together.

I've had those saddles on a trem before and never had a problem

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Know the feeling of sweet builds with issues :lol: :(.

Hopefully it all gets sorted!

Bearitone likes this.
  7. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Very nice! Love that wood grain. Came out superb!

Bearitone likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

is that a warmoth neck? you have a trussrod adjustment. I'm so jealous.

benny, I play music and Bearitone like this.
  9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

It is!
    You have to order the Tilt-back headstock neck to get the truss rod adjustment at the top.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

hmm I should ask them if the tilt back is a different angle. mine needs 2 string retainers.
    doesn't look like yours has any.

11. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Spot on with that pickguard. So sleek. A Floyd would make it to cool.

Bearitone likes this.
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not a tele fan, buuuuut that looks pretty great.

Tuning stability shouldn't be toooo hard to track down - there's only so many things it could be. The bridge doesn't move so that's not likely. If the neck is mounted well enough and doesn't move, it's not that. If you trust your tuners to stay in place, that pretty much just leaves the nut.

Bearitone likes this.
  13. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Could be noodle neck. Not saying it is, and Warmoth does a really good job with drying and consistency but it happens.

I've worked on necks (not warmoth) that were so unstable that they acted like a floating bridge.

14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that's the problem. I wish Warmoth would offer the option of graphite or carbon fiber reinforcement rods as an option.

I'm going to give it a week or two and if I'm still running into issues I may go with a multi-laminate neck of some more rigid woods.

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Are the tuner button tension screws on the tighter side or the looser side? I have lighter strings on my Bari-Tele and it stays in tune wonderfully, in fact, I haven't even adjusted the truss rod for 10 years since I first set it up. I thought about swapping out the Bari-Neck last year for a standard one, but I can't find myself to make to the move yet, then Ken Warmoth passed away earlier this year and that made me wanna keep it the way it is since the neck was a gift from him from back when I worked there.

16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Just wanted to post an update.
    It was NOT a noodle neck causing the jumpy tuning stability. It was the nut.

Still not sure exactly what on the nut was causing it but, I noticed it was only the bigger 3 wound strings having an issue.
    I fixed it by just violently bending each of those strings on either end of the nut in both directions for a couple seconds at a time.

My thoughts were to just wear in those slots and it worked. Shockingly well.
    Honestly a little dumb struck.

17. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

A stock warmoth nut is going to be much too high to get proper intonation at the first few frets so you likely lowered the nut slots enough with the quick fix of using the string as a file.

18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Oh, I had a new nut dropped in and a Plek job done as well. I would hope the overall setup is as good as it can get. That said, these guys fucked up the electronics and left the low F out of intonation (it’s in Drop F) so, god knows if the Plek actually came out right. Everything feels decent enough though.

I may just take this guitar to a tech i actually trust. Only reason i went with someone else was to get the Plek done but, it doesn’t even really feel worth it.

It’s barely better than my Jazzmaster Baritone and all a tech did to that one was file down a few high spots. Not even a real fret job.

19. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Electronics and intonation are easy so I would be extremely suspicious of someone who messes that stuff and then claims they can operate an extremely complex system like a Plek. A Plek is just a tool that requires judgement about how to proceed after taking measurements. They might have messed that up as well. But your nut is either too high or too tight on the strings. Or not shaped correctly on the back end of the slots.