NGD Viper-7 Baritone Plus Bonus Awesome Strap

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by High Plains Drifter, Apr 27, 2019.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Pretty sure that anyone that's ever liked sevens and/ or SG's has seen this one. At face value I understand the "meh an LTD... seen it" mindset so I'm not expecting this to be a very popular NGD buuuut... Holy Satin's juice-box, this thing is just mad-fuckin' brootz!!

Impressions:

Body and neck- Heavy but absolutely one of the most comfy 7s I've ever played. The carve along the top and the satin finish make this one a true joy to hold. Neck heel transition is of course smooth and seamless with great upper fret access.

Fret-board/ frets- Very nicely finished. Board is super smooth as are the frets. No sharp ends and seemingly perfectly leveled. Side inlay dots are big and very easy to see. They glow too but not something I care much about since I routinely fall down in the dark anyway.

Nut- Complete crap. Plastic nut is cleanly cut & grooved but it's definitely pinching the wound strings so it's got to go. Tusq replacement on the way. Going with the black XL part# PT-6748 ( intended for Schecter 7's but should work on the Viper).

Dive- Yeah... I mean obviously but all in all very manageable with the right strap. I'm actually surprised that it's not worse but I think the heavy-ish body is what keeps it from being too off-balance. I certainly expected some neck-dive before getting this guitar anyway so it's not affecting my enthusiasm in the least.

Locking tuners/ bridge/ tailpiece/ volume pot- All work flawlessly and appear to have no manufacturing anomolies... finish, fit, feel, function, etc. Absolutely no issues. Volume pot is completely quiet and rotates buttery smooth with a very gradual and even transition in volume. Guitar is set up pretty much perfect out of the box also.

Finish neck/ body- Not perfect but as someone with OCD, I can say that it's really not even worth mentioning... But I will lol! There are several absolutely minuscule "flecks" in the finish... body and neck. They're actually a bit difficult to even find so you have to lightly run your fingers over the areas repeatedly, in order to precisely locate them. Tbh they may actually be disappearing the more that I touch the guitar. There's maybe one or two on the neck and a few more around the inside of the horns. Again... I'm a perfectionist when it comes to finishing flaws no matter how insignificant, so I had to mention it.

Black Winter pickup- Well shit! I've always wanted an aggressive-sounding single hum guitar but was never sure if I wanted six or seven strings. I'm really glad that I went this route as I think that had I gotten a sixer and fallen in love, that it might've only served to make me forever GAS for the same thing in a seven. This one doesn't leave me gassing for a single hum 6 so I think I did good. The BW is such a fantastic pickup on it's own and I seriously couldn't be happier with it's attributes. Low end is full and articulate without any muddiness or flub. Mids and highs are astoundingly crisp and full in a way that makes the tonal spectrum come across very balanced. I just can't get enough of this pickup! I can seriously understand how this BW not only stands on it's own but also how it needs nothing more than a volume pot.

Head-stock logo- Kill it with fire and I'll be good. Hate it but honestly at this point it doesn't even bother me. There's just too much that's extra-badass and wonderful about this axe for me to truly care. A gloss black 'LTD' woulda been excellent but whatever on that... no worries.

Additional specs:

27" scale
    Mahogany body
    3-pc mahogany neck
    Macassar ebony board
    400 mm radius finger-board
    48 mm nut width
    Thin U neck shape
    24 XJ frets
    LTD locking tuners
    TonePros locking TOM & tailpiece
    D'Addario XL110-7 (.010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046/.059)

Part II- The Strap:

Most of my straps are Levy's along with some others... Reunion Blues, Fender, Souldier, Mono, etc. I always like to try to match my guitars and straps but after scanning every Sweetwater page... I was left feeling uninspired. Then I started looking thru Reverb. There, I kept stumbling across this company called Franklin ( run by a guy named Greg Bennett). I had never heard of Franklin but a lot of their strap designs and specs intrigued me. One in particular continued to hold my interest but I wanted to find out a little more about this company.

That brought me to their site's home page where I watched a video featuring Greg talking about his company. Long story short, by the end of the video, I knew that I had found what I had been looking for. What I saw was a man that was sincerely passionate about everything that defined him and his business... the integrity, the humility, the enthusiasm. It was all so apparent that this man valued every single customer on a deeper level than what I'd ever consider typical.

I immediately ordered up their '2 inch link handmade glove leather strap' and when it arrived I simply fell in love with everything about it... the quality of the materials, the workmanship, the feel, the look... over the top. The leather is so soft and it just grips effortlessly against my body. It's thick yet supple and quite honestly, it's hard to take my hands off of it! I cannot believe that it holds it's own against the neck dive of this guitar AND WINS! And what else was this in the box? No surprise really... It was a card hand written... saying "Anthony, Thank you for choosing Franklin! We hope you enjoy the new strap. -Greg"

Please... If you're looking for an amazingly beautiful quality American made guitar strap... check out Franklin!

Alright... since my camera is in the middle of a mid life crisis and l can no longer take decent pics, these will just have to do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

bassisace, Velokki, Edika and 25 others like this.
  2. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Nice guitar, nice strap and very nice pics. Congrats

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  3. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Looks metal, I agree on the logo being a bit out of place and the nut needs to go. The strap reminds me of a snake so it will fit the black metal image nicely. Congrats.

4. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

HNGD! I love this series LTD put out and that looks like a very good specimen. Single hum, one knob, all black.... Yes please:deathm:

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

None more blacker!!!

Congrats and HNGD

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Ah shit... you just threw a spark on my GAS. I'm heavily considering one of these.

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

looks killer, congrats!

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Enjoy! Simple and elegant.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Soundâ„¢

HNGD the black metal guitars are dope. every single one i've put my hands on felt and sounded great.

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Looks pretty brutal, HNGD!

also (sso pet peeve, sry), need the full shot of it!

11. High Plains Drifter

Thanks for the looks and likes. My others sevens are gonna be taking some time off at least for a while. I'll be glad when I get my dslr sl2 next week! The only full pic I've got of the LTD atm and it also sucks...

[​IMG]

Masoo2 and Leviathus like this.
  12. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Austin, Texas, huh?

13. High Plains Drifter

Hey! I'm just to the east... about 20 mins past ABIA down 71.

14. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Nice viper but let's talk about that fuckin baller blue sparkle telecaster

15. High Plains Drifter

jephjacques likes this.
  16. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

I noticed that the scale is 27, so not a clear cut Baritone that reaches the big 30. Logically this Viper is close to the Schecter style of 26.5, from a tension perspective, is it much different from the feeling of those?

17. High Plains Drifter

It feels a bit different from my 26.5" Schecter A7, Jackson Soloist7, and Carvin DC700. I think that the wound string tension is another notable high-point of this guitar. Either due to string gauge or scale length, the string tension ( and/ or some other factors) make this guitar an absolute joy to play. The only 30" scale guitar that I have is a 6 string bass so I can't make any comparison in that regard.