NGD : Vigier Excalibur Ultra Blues

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by yuri_1973, Mar 14, 2017.

1. yuri_1973

yuri_1973 Romantic Shredder

Hi there ...

I'm truly a happy man now, as I just received this awesome Vigier Excalibur Ultra Blues in Natural finish.

Marvelous guitar as all Vigiers, with the extra "snap" of the maple fretboard when compared to my other rosewood fretboard Vigiers.

Quality of the finish and details is flawless, a real piece of luthiery art, with a 2 piece flamed maple top which is not visually mind-blowing, but instead very classy I'd say.

Fretwork is just perfect, with steel frets and low action, which I'm sure can go lower cleanly as in all Vigiers I have (or had).

Guitar unplugged resonates a lot, with clear & crispy highs and also solid bottom end, these guys at Vigier keep doing extraordinary guitars.

I may need to adjust a bit the pickup heights (directly mounted), as the bridge pickup is maybe too hot when compared to the other 4 positions, but anyway before touching it I'll first play in different scenarios (rehearsal loud, etc..) to make sure this initial perception I got is actually correct.

Pics ....

Attached Files:

JoshuaVonFlash, fps, yellowv and 14 others like this.
  2. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Nice!

3. Flamedmaple

Flamedmaple SS.org Regular

What ya mean not visually mind blowing? At least that finish blows my mind.
    Congrats on one of the finest instruments out there. :)

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Patrice has one of the biggest OCD tonewood boners around; and it shows in the finished product - That flame is so good, I have mixed feelings about it: Either "A flame that awesome deserves nothing less than a natural finish" or "Shame they didn't reserve a flame that nice for a triple-stain."

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man!

6. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Awesome! Vigiers are stunning instruments and extremely well-designed. I have a GV Wood and that thing plays itself. Which is good because I sure can't play for crap!

7. yuri_1973

For those not much into Vigier, let me share some of the highlights of their guitars/basses:

1) No truss-rod. Instead, their one-piece maple necks are built with a carbon stripe, making it 90% wood and 10% carbon. That makes it rigid enough to withstand any climate changes and the various string gauges you may throw at it. It's basically a worry-free neck. Two other advantages of this are:
    a) The neck is a 100% solid piece (no air gaps where truss rod is located, no loose/vibrating parts) ... so more round sound and sustain
    b) Using extreme vibrato doesn't affect or bend the neck, which can lead to tuning issues on regular necks as the moving neck doesn't come back to the exact same position after we use vibrato. So, better tuning stabiity.

2) Vigier vibratos are mounted on a ball-bearing system. This system is said to not wear, like knife-edge systems are known to do (worn blades). Again, better tuning stability and smoother feel.

3) Zero-fret. All Vigier guitars and basses sport a zero-fret, which equates the tone/timbre of open string notes vs fretted notes, plus providing a consistent lower action and better intonation on those first positions of the fretboard.

8. marcwormjim

Addendum to 3: Vigier is the only company using zero frets who acknowledge that they wear out as a necessary evil of the design; and compensate for this by using zero frets that pop in and out for easy replacement. Instruments produced in the last two years or so feature segmented zero frets: If your zero fret tends to only wear under the G, then only replace that segment, rather than the whole fret. Additionally, all instruments produced since 2012 have hardened stainless frets, including the replaceable zero fret.

I have a spare in my case - I'll post in however long from now until then it is before I use it.

9. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Gorgeous. I got a Vigier incoming myself, hopefully in May or June. I was sick of the 'fluctuating' tuning of my 'regular' guitars, so I thought why not try Vigier.

10. yuri_1973

Good, you'll love your Vigier ! :metal:

As mentioned above, it would be a good idea to ask with your guitar a spare zero-fret, and, in case it's not a Floyd model and you intend to use heavier strings than their standard 9-46, a spare nut with correct string slotting (they have at least 3-4 nut variants)

11. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Good idea about getting a spare set of zero frets, cheers for that. I already got the dealer to throw in a spare nut for 10-52, just in case. :) I'm getting a Special with the non-locking trem.

12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Happy NGD! I want to try one of these so bad!
    How do you like the neck relief?

Maybe you can answer a question I've had for awhile?

Here's what I don't understand about the "no-truss-rod-neck"

Its extremely stable but, you can't adjust anything. How do you make a neck that EVERYONE likes? Doesn't the preferred amount of neck relief vary from player to player? What about the people who have absolutely ZERO chance of trying one in person prior to purchase? Do they just gamble hoping that they like the neck setup?

There must be some sweet spot in neck relief that like 95% of players love. (I guess we're not all unique snowflakes when it comes to setup preference)

13. marcwormjim

Patrice Vigier's preferred relief is backed off just a little from perfectly straight. I don't share his preference, but it is in no way a dealbreaker. My Ken Parker-era Flys have zero relief as part of their design, but the piano strings in the necks can be adjusted to the player's preferences. For any of my other guitars, I tighten the truss rod until the strings begin to choke in the first five frets, then back off a hair. When I switch between any of my rod-equipped instruments and the Vigier, the non-adjustable relief doesn't even cross my mind: The design accomplishes its goal of eliminating all concern to do with truss adjustment.

14. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

That's lovely HNGD

15. yuri_1973

It's lovely to my taste

You're right, there may be some players which may love "extreme" reliefs who will dislike the one on Vigiers.
    About people with no chance of try before buy, you're right too, they just may have to risk not liking that relief setting (or any other non-easily adjustable aspect) .... HOWEVER, in this particular subject IMO I consider WAAAAAY more relevant other aspects i.e. the neck profile, fretboard radius, (or even body contours), than fretboard relief.

16. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I'd love to have one just like that.
    I regret selling the ones i had, and hope to own another Vigier someday.

17. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

That's a stunning guitar. Really wish to try one someday, but they don't come up often around here.

Happy NGD!

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

looks great but that top could've popped so much more with some light black or brown stain to really bring out the contrast between the flame. There's just a little too much blonde maple for my tastes lol. Enjoy the guitar OP

19. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Looks great! However, their customer service has been bad in my experience.

20. yuri_1973

Thanks all !

Yes I agree, the finish on this one, although classy, could have been more "flashy" ... on that subject, I specially love the finishes on Skervesens, I've never tasted one on the flesh, but they definitely are, in general, the most gorgeous-looking axes IMO.