NGD (to end 'em all) - Oakland Axe Factory OXC Headless Fanned Fret 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ForThisGift, Aug 11, 2013.

1. octavarium7

octavarium7 Cloud Constructor

TWO OF THEM??????????????????????????

+1

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

How'd you do that last pic? Fancy photoshopping skills?

3. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

It is a touch on the bright side. I know there are dissenting opinions on how much of an effect the specific woods have on an instrument, but I have to imagine a solid ebony neck paired with an ebony board have some hand in shaping the instruments overall tone. With that said, I would never expect to change guitars and, more importantly pickups, without adjusting my amp models anyway. Any extra brightness the ebony neck may add is MORE than made up for in feel. I would have to explain the feeling as glass like and it plays lightning fast. I would recommend skipping the laminates if you arent dead set on the look of them. As long as you get a quality piece of ebony, stability shouldn't be an issue and you will love the feel of the raw neck.

4. ForThisGift

More or less. Its just two shots layered, with only the guitar moving between.

5. Halowords

Halowords SS.org Regular

I tend to think it can make an impact. To what extent?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Even if it is bright, as long as it's not harsh and can be dialed in to be more chimey and shimmering than ice-pick, I am cool with that. I have grown to appreciate brighter instruments and adjusting settings to shape the tone. I also tend to sort of adjust on the fly with picking closer to the bridge pickup (where most people strum) to playing over the upper frets of the neck for a warmer sound depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

Also, good point as far as the setup. People have dialed in Telecasters to sound like Les Pauls (more or less).

You got me there. That sounds awesome!

I have been thinking about that. I was planning Macassar Ebony w/ Goncalo Alves laminate stripes. I think it would make a nice accent to the Ebony, and should feel nice/smooth. They would be too small to make any noticeable impact on how it sounded though. My reason for considering a one-piece is just to preserve the flow of the grain of the Macassar Ebony neck. A minor detail to be sure, however I just love seeing the flow of a solid piece of wood in terms of its grain or figuring.

Anyway, thanks for the review and I hope you enjoy your guitar. Dibs if you decide to get rid of it though. ;)

-Cheers

6. ForThisGift

I had a request for some head-to-toe shots. So I figured I would drop them in here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SuperNovaRG1570

SuperNovaRG1570 SS.org Regular

Beautiful!! Killer Top!! Congrats!!

8. macnylonguitar

macnylonguitar Member

Guys,

I would love to see this guitar, but getting the dreaded "Update your account to Enable 3rd Party Hosting". Is this on my end, I don't see where to do that?

Having Tom build a neck and body with ABM hardware as well.... I am not sold on the SC / OXC body style. I have an early TD "SC" demo on hand. The body feels and looks like a Jazzmaster to me, not digging it... Now if the line drawing could be altered... To me the upper bout and armrest bout are too long and too wide... could use some contouring. What is the OXC dimensions? Wider and Length

9. macnylonguitar

macnylonguitar Member

How do I see the picts?, not seeing them, thx, mgm

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

You don't. Photobucket no longer offers external picture hosting.

11. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Just a few forum tips, don't post in threads that are super old (this thread is five years old!), don't post multiple times in a row in the same thread (just edit the previous post), and a lot of old photos that were hosted by photobucket have been lost to the abyss.

Good luck and have fun!

12. macnylonguitar

macnylonguitar Member

Got it, thx.

Will create new thread(s)