NGD: these Schecter dudes seem to know what they're doing (custom shop axe palace limited)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Forkface, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

ok. so pics first i guess?
    (apologies, my nice shooter is back at my parent's place, so phone shots will have to do for now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok so. guitar is pretty much flawless. frets, binding, fit and finish, electronics, you name it. haven't found a flaw on that regard. This was a first for me in many aspects: first guitar with a scale longer than 25.5, first Floyd, first HS config, and first american made guitar (ikr?)
    still getting used to the floyd thing, although I've had it blocked for 99% of the time so yeah..
    Scale length is unnoticeable for the fretting hand, but it does make a difference soundwise I think, and also when picking, everything is a little tighter than my JC.
    HS config is interesting, i really like the neck pickup. Bridge pickup is fucking INTENSE. like, intense to the point that i don't think it could be used for anything other than metal. I've been playing with height and whatnot, but yeah, its very bright, very tight, and feels super high output. still on the fence about keeping that one.

Wenge neck feels amazing, satin back on the body too. the neck joint is A++.

soundwise is night and day with the JC. the ibanez sounds like a medieval broadsword vs this that sounds like a katana, if that makes any sense. its probably the mahogany and pafs vs ash and these pickups. I wont dare say i like the JC sound better given that i've had this for a small period of time, i probably just need to find the right amp setting and whatnot.

anyway, that's all for now. its a monster guitar, and for the price? hard to beat honestly.
    EDIT: forgot to mention, the soft case it came with is nice and all, but tbh i would've liked a hard case w/this. just a pet peeve i guess.

as a final note, i would like to give a shoutout to Nick @ the Axe Palace, that dude went above and beyond with the customer service. I had some payment issues (international shenanigans) and he was extremely helpful, understanding, and provided all these tips and possible solutions.
    honestly, i would've given up on the purchase if it wasn't for him, so yeah.
    send all your guitar money to him.

final final note, i also got a Ceres. its a beast. end of story.

2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Beautiful quilt, beautiful color, beautiful neck... And it's a Schecter, which is hands down one of my favorite brands to play. Would love to snag an American Schecter some day, but current life situations prevent it... Some day, though... Also, Nick is in fact a great person to deal with. I've only ever bought some BKP's through him, but he has always been a class act. A good example of how a business should be run. I second the "send all your guitar money to him" sentiment.

Congrats on the beautiful guitar. For what it's worth, I *love* that "katana" as opposed to the "broad sword" sound. Broadsword sounds bitching when you're rocking out alone in your bedroom with no other instruments, but katana fits in dense mixes a lot more nicely. Very good to have, imo.

3. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

That thing is amazing. I wish more guitars came with HS config instead of HH. My favourite setup both in usability and aesthetics.

Congrats!

Solodini, Azathoth43 and Forkface like this.
  4. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

For some reason can't see the pics. What are those pickups BTW? Brimmy and a single?

5. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

wasn't sure if the google photo links were gonna work.
    heres the album link maybe that works?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/R4XVw5HX1ZDqaaks6

6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Well that looks like a damn pissed off guitar indeed! Congrats, it's a beauty!
    And yeah that humb is definitely a Brimmy :fawk:

Forkface likes this.
  7. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

yeah i mean, that pickup is take no prisoners balls to the wall don't like metal get the fuck outta here kinda sound.

say, i had all my patches on the helix set up for the JC. i had to knock out maybe 2 points on treble, 3 or 4 on mids, and legit knock out the presence almost to zero and it was still gnarly. like if you're not careful you might say its borderline brittle almost.

Zado likes this.
  8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You went for your first floyd on a CS guitar?

Balls of steel :lol:

Ordacleaphobia, narad and aesthyrian like this.
  9. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

hahahah yeah maybe.
    to be honest if the HS config was available on a fixed bridge i would gotten that. i just really wanted the HS thing.
    and also i mean, the tremol-no is a miracle worker.

given that we're here, might as well: when i unlocked the tremol-no thing, i noticed that whenever I use the whammy bar there a slight friction sound.. and i dunno if that's cause by the tremolno or the the floyd itself. any clues? sounds like it might need some lubrication, but could also just go away eventually if i just keep using it, idk.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    This is a beautiful guitar, probably one of the nicest I've ever seen. I had dreams about these when I first saw them a little while back.

Purple color/finish + Wenge neck = HEAVEN

I've ordered from Nick @ AxePalace before and had a fantastic customer service experience as well.

11. budda

Its a custom shop, you just order fixed bridge :lol:

aesthyrian and Forkface like this.
  12. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

hahaha that would make sense.
    this was made by the custom shop, but it was an axepalace run, i didnt actually choose the specs.

Hollowway and aesthyrian like this.
  13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

After the hassle I've had with Floyd's lower end guitars I'd say that's pretty smart :lol: nothing ruins a Floyd more than a bad setup!

Forkface likes this.
  14. budda

I can tell. :lol:

No way would my most likely most expensive purchase be the first time to try a new bridge, but ymmv.

15. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Holy fork that guitar is classy as fork. Congrats!

16. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Classy AF!

Top, color, neck, headstock, it just fits together so well... ultimate superstrat!

Also love the HS configuration, and floyd's are lot's of fun once used to it. Only reason why I don't use floyd's so much these days is that i change tuning every now and them.
    If you stick to one tuning and it has a good setup, floyds are stable as can be!

HNGD!

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

18. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

Wow the spec choices are perfect!! Youre the lucky guy

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Low quality, poor setup, has ruined a good deal of Floyd's for me. If its expensive and its set up well but I still don't get in with it, at least I can trade for a high end fixed or sell and retain a good bit of cash, that's my thought process.

gienek likes this.
  20. budda

I think I almost broke even on my first floyd (DC7) and definitely lost money on the second (RG550DY RI). Both good guitars, both confirming I am never buying an FR guitar again.

Even if I was an FR guy to start, I wouldn't risk my first big change on something super expensive. You're right that it should be easy to swap laterally or sell, but sometimes that's not the case.

Regardless, I'm glad the OP got a guitar he really likes.