NGD - the amazing prs se 7!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by thelostfrost, Jul 11, 2013.

1. thelostfrost

thelostfrost Active Member

Okay y'all - I posted a NGD not too long ago, maybe early last year. it was a schecter sls c-7 with blackouts. When I got it out the box I knew it didn't feel right, it was a special order though, dumb on my part so I could not return it.

I sold it on ebay recently and bought this after reading about the hype. I'm very happy I did.

This guitar is a much, much better instrument than the schecter.

The neck is so damn comfortable and I don't get it. Upon first glance it looks pretty wide and almost hefty. The guitar looks gorgeous of course, and I'm sure the other owners can attest to that. But I'm just so damn thrilled with this guitar. The pickups sound great - if you've ever played a gibson flying V, and you're familiar with the 500t and 496r combo, I would say that the pickups sound similiar but a little less hot, a little spongier on the low mids and very warm.

I started off with cleans and they sound great, particularly the middle and neck positions. The bridge sounds great too, but more so when you roll off the volume knob a bit in full humbucker mode. Just strumming the guitar shimmers, and when tapped in the middle position you get an almost acoustic sound. I can imagine this being very useful for live situations.

The distortion on this guitar sounds better to my ears than on the schecter with the seymour duncan blackouts. The blackouts were almost too tight on the low end and too cutting, at least for me, and seem to only sound good with huge distortion and chugging stuff. In contrast, the pickups on the prs are more responsive to pick attack, but I was surprised at how good they sound when playing high gain metal stuff. They have a little more noise than the blackouts and aren't as tight on the bottom but still sound really, really good. I was surprised because of how people described the instrument as being more traditional but the pickups aren't quite as "PAF" as I expected.

The scale length is super comfortable to me and the neck carve is fantastic. I dropped the bottom string down to an A and it felt fine and can't imagine anyone having problems de-tuning as long as they install the appropriate string gauges (I'd say a 64 for the A).

The tuning keys are super smooth. The guitar stays in tune well.

Verdict - I'm a super impatient person and if I'm not impressed by a guitar I'll put it back on the shelf within a couple of minutes. With this one I was just throwing everything I could at it and it performed like a champ. Chugging, pop-punky stuff, shimmering cleans, acoustic strumming, oldies...if you know how to play, you adjust your pick attack accordingly and the guitar is right there with you.

If you want djent and metal exclusively you might like the ibanez iron labels. But these pickups sound so good in nearly everything they do that I want to keep them the way they are. You can always swap the pups and the playability is top notch. It beats the schecter sls c-7 in so many ways. I strongly urge you to check it out! :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::realmad:

Shawn and Riffer like this.
  2. haffner1

haffner1 SS.org Regular

Pics or GTFO.

3. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

4. thelostfrost

alright you buttholes:

Attached Files:

DISTORT6 likes this.
  5. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

hahahaha
    :hbang:

6. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

That's a great, peepeehead!

7. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

Red sneakers? :barf:

:lol: Just ....in with ya!
    Great guitar! Congrats.
    HNGD!

8. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

Thats why I didnt like the SE-7, I hated the stock pickups in my Gibby V :lol:

Congrats though!

9. Panacea224

Panacea224 SS.org Regular

HNGD man. I checked one of these out very briefly at my local guitar shop today and it felt like a quality instrument. Actually thinking about picking up a blue one myself.

10. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Congrats! Looks really nice!

11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats!
    thanks for the review!

12. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

13. thelostfrost

Thanks everyone! I've been playing it more and I'm just so happy with it. The thing is really just a great instrument, which I'd like to emphasize - with seven strings, the guitars kind of feel like a "specialty" market or something, and just have been built with just metal in mind that I felt like I lost a lot of the traditional sound of the instrument itself. It feels like a piece of wood ya know? It's very musical, but then I add some gain and mids, and it honestly sounds fantastic when playing metal, then I can tap the pups and go to the neck and roll off the volume and get into some blues-y older rock tones that are super expressive. I just think it's designed really well: I was in drop A just like CHUG CHUG CHUG bumminabumminabumminabummina the notes were nice in clear.

14. thelostfrost

Yeah the pups in the V are ceramic and you definitely hear that, they're a little fizzy and pretty up there gain wise. I remember them sounding good and being reasonably warm but these pickups are warmer and not absurdly hot. I would describe them as medium-high output.

15. thelostfrost

Thanks man, I think you should put in a little more time playing around with it to see how it feels to you. This happens to work out great for me because I have skinny, bony fingers that kind of cramp up and aren't super strong, and when I was playing the schecter (as well as the new jackson model) the neck and strings just made me feel like I had to practice twice as long just to get my fingers used to them. I'm not a pure metal guy either and love old rock and blues.