NGD: T h e A b a s i C u r s e. . .

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by jephjacques, Oct 22, 2020.

1. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Settle in, boys, girls, and gender-nonconforming folks, and listen to my tale...

Back in the Before Times, I put in a pre-order for the first round of Larada 8 strings. Then the shit hit the fan with Falbo, and I got a refund. Abasi re-launched his guitar line with Grover Jackson's shop building them, and I was still interested, but decided to hold off on ordering one. My willpower only held out so long, though, and through luck of the draw I grabbed a Larada Master Series 8 when a run dropped this summer. And here's where things get sPoOkY...

That first guitar was not good. Ridiculous amounts of fret buzz, and what looked to me like a warped neck. Took it to my local tech, who confirmed my diagnosis and added that the neck was STILL shifting all over the place. Abasi, to their credit, immediately offered me a full refund or an exchange. I opted for an exchange, because I have guitar disease. I was given my pick of the next run of USA 8s, and chose a stealth black with roasted maple neck and fretboard. They also covered the shipping fees to send the busted guitar back to them. Ivan is a classy dude and it was a pleasure to deal with him through this process.

It shipped out a couple weeks later, at which point Canadian customs decided it needed to sit in a warehouse for a week while they scratched their asses and ignored my repeated attempts to get them to clear the package. It finally cleared, and arrived at my doorstep today.

I was legitimately scared to open the case. What if this one was another dud? What if it was Just Fine But Not Worth $3.5 Grand? What if, god forbid, there was slightly imperfect finish masking around the neck joint?!?!?!?!?!? WHAT IF THE ABASI CURSE IS REAL?

Turns out no, the guitar rules, here's some pics.

IMG_0924.jpg

yessssssss

IMG_0925.jpg

Ignore the smudges, those are the result of my grubby hands fumbling all over it

IMG_0926.jpg

Neck is perfectly straight (minus a tiny bit of truss rod relief of course). Fretwork is spotless. I love the blind fret slots.

IMG_0927.jpg

By viewing this image you have been subjected to tHe aBaSi cUrSe. You must like this post within 7 days or Maestro Alex Gregory will come to your house and rub his balls on all your guitars.

IMG_0928.jpg

Quartersawn roasted maple! LOOKS. STABILITY. TOAN.

OKAY Y'ALL IT'S REVIEW TIME:

First things first: this sucker is LIGHT. Definitely Strandberg territory if you discount the headstock. It's very slightly neck-heavy if you play with it on your right leg, but only if you don't put your forearm on the body at all (who does this when they play sitting down? nobody imo). Balances perfectly on a strap and in classical position. The matte black finish is real nice, I don't see any flaws anywhere and I went over it with a fine toothed comb. It does pick up fingerprints easily, as you can see in the photos, but WHO CARES IT'S NOT A DISPLAY PIECE

Neck shape is a super thin oval. It feels slightly flatter than my 080, but has more rounded shoulders than an Ibanez. Very, very comfy if you like fast necks. The extended neck joint is definitely noticeable but not an impediment. I'm guessing after a couple days I won't even feel it anymore. The neck has a REALLY nice finish, just buttery smooth. Feels like a well-loved piece of furniture, if that makes any sense.

Playability is out of this world. The combination of thin neck, smooth finish, fanned frets, and narrow string spacing makes it the fastest-feeling 8 I've ever played. It came set up with SUPER low action, and I'll probably raise it a bit eventually, but even set up Tosin-style there's really not much fret buzz as long as I'm careful with my technique. Really hammers home what a lemon the first one I got was. The fanned frets are fanned frets- after 2 minutes you forget they're there. Helps that the fretwork is A+.

Tone wise, I still find the Abasi bridge pickup too hot for my taste, but all I really need to do is turn down the gain and lower the pickup a bit. The cleans, split coil sounds, and neck pickup are all GLORIOUS. I wasn't expecting to care much about the voicing switch, but I really like voicing 2 for the bridge pup in particular. Makes it sound more like a passive, which is nice. I could see that being my main heavy rhythm sound.

One comment I've seen a lot in the general Abasi thread is that the USA series are "nice guitars, but not worth the price." I'm happy to report that this is a $3500 guitar that feels like a $3500 guitar. Build quality is as good as any non-Aristides I've come across. Have I mentioned how nice the neck feels? Feels good man

If you bothered to read the wall of text at the top of this post, or followed the Abasi thread, you know the hoops I've had to jump through to end up with this guitar. It was worth the trouble! Ivan at Abasi was totally great through this entire process, and I'm 100% satisfied with the instrument I ended up getting. If the other guitars they're putting out are on this level, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

2. kidmendel

kidmendel SS.org Regular

I've been waiting to see where your Canadian Customs saga was going to end, congrats! That's a looker for sure!

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

HNGD! So glad it only took you 5 Tosin signatures to get a keeper.

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

batting .200 baby

5. pott

pott SS.org Regular

That thread was a rollercoaster of emotion; I'm glad it worked out and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I will comment on one other thing... that backplate. It looks rather thick and not recessed?

6. DeathByButterslax

DeathByButterslax SS.org Regular

looks sick! Congrats!

3500CAD??

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Woo a happy ending!! Sounds a keeper for sure! Happy NGD!

Ahh not again :(

StevenC and Hollowway like this.
  8. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Looks sick in black! Customs probably held it to play it!

9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Congrats and it’s a beauty!!

I had a guitar stuck at the ups customs in winterpeg for a week and a half because it was flagged. No one could tell me why, then they released it....

10. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Fuck me I need one of these things...

11. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

Happy new guitar day!! It looks insane!

To be fair there have been quite a bit of reported QC issues with Abasi ranging from minor finish problems on headstocks and dings to more important problems like warped necks and pickup alignment problems, notably for the bridge pickup and higher strings resulting in lower volume for the small e string compared to other strings.

All this to say that I understand your stress before receiving the guitar and I’m happy to hear it’s a good build hahaha !

12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Can you post a video of you playing the guitar? I would really like to see it in action. It looks awesome.

13. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Glad theres a super positive outcome to the saga! Glad you're happy with it!

Two big (double) thumbs up from me

14. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Fucking around with my AxeFX presets and have discovered that one of my main gripes with the bridge pickup is solved simply by taking the drive pedal out of the signal chain and compensating with tweaking the gain on the amp itself. My stock rhythm tone (TS808 into the Engl Savage model) went from "ugh this is unusable" to "hehehehehHEHEHEHEHEHEHE"

slan, CW7, secretpizza and 2 others like this.
  15. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I had the same « discovery » when I got my J Larada. It’s great to hear you’re liking it after all the struggles you’ve been through!

16. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

HNGD!!

Good to hear it all turned out nice!

Killer guitar man! That neck joint is out there!

17. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

Thanks for igniting the GAS for a Master 8 to go along with my J7. Now, to wait for that email...

jephjacques likes this.
  18. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

Looks marvellous! Happy NGD!

19. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

Definitely a roller coaster. Glad it worked out.

Not my cup of tea sight unseen, but if it rips, than happy NGD.

20. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Good to hear of a really positive experience with Abasi.

I still wouldn't pay 3500 for one, though :D

Glad you're enjoying yours!