NGD: Strandberg Singularity 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HungryGuitarStudent, Apr 29, 2019.

1. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

After struggling with left hand ligament problems for a while I decided to sell my Vader 7X and buy a Strandberg Singularity. I already own a Boden Prog 7, but I wanted to have a thinner endureneck and a 25.5 scale length, notably for wide stretches. Having straight frets also makes tapping arpeggios easier to play.

Cosmetically, the guitar arrived without a scratch. Upon closer inspection, the intonation was off and some frets needed to be leveled a bit. Nothing major or unexpected.

The stock pickups are surprisingly better than I thought. I had ~2 hours free on Sunday, so I decided to do a little solo on a track by Jared Dines to give you an idea of the sound of the bridge pick-up.

Please don’t pay too much attention to the solo itself, it was my 1st day off a left-hand ligament pain related hiatus and most of it was improvised (I obviously added the harmonies afterwards) – and I’m by no means a pro (or even good when compared to many users of this forum).

This week I’m taking the guitar to my luthier to change the 2 humbuckers for Fishman Fluence and to replace the single coil with a Fishman rechargeable battery pack. I’ll post pics of it or a video when it’s done.

Cheers !

2. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Looks cool man. Nice playing as well!! Would be very interested to hear
    how the upgrades sound. Looking forward to the pics/vid.

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  3. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks for taking the time to listen :) It's much appreciated. I hope the modification won't take too much time :)

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  4. stretcher7

stretcher7 SS.org Regular

Your playing sounds great to me! I know what a bummer having problems with your hands can be. Be smart and careful and you'll be fine.

Nice axe!:shred:

5. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks for the kind words. My hand problems are related to a teenage sports injury. It doesn't help that I was an amateur boxer for 7 years not too long ago *facepalm* I'm definitely learning to adjust my playing regimen and to not overdo it. Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to play a lot :)

@stretcher7 what kind of hand problems do you have ? I hope they don't limit your playing too much.

stretcher7 likes this.
  6. stretcher7

stretcher7 SS.org Regular

I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder that caused numbness in my 3rd and 4th fingers in my left hand. I developed it from sitting incorrectly while practicing.and not warming up properly It's all better now, but I had to be really careful about over practicing. It didn't really affect my playing too much, I had to be mindful about playing "cold" though. Rick Graham just had something similar.

7. HungryGuitarStudent

Damn, that must have been annoying (and painful). Good point about warming up properly before going on a shred frenzy. I was fortunate to have a copy of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline early in my guitar journey. He really stressed the importance of stretching and warming up. "Yours might crack too".

stretcher7 likes this.
  8. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

I have a couple question if you can answer it. Did you happen to buy this new? I know the early bodens had "softer angles" more rounder angles on the back of the neck I guess you could call it that and then they switched to the more pronounced, sharper ones like on the custom shop and on your prog. I know these have a thinner neck, but do you feel they are more softer or just as pronounced, but on a thinner neck? I ask because when they switched over on neck design on the boden update I never got an answer back if this model also got the neck update or they kept it the same way.

9. HungryGuitarStudent

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities :)

I bought it new from GuitarGuitar (UK). They shipped it to Canada (and took care of all CITES regulation stuff).

The early Boden 7 string that I tried had a thicker neck and slightly rounder edges when compared to current production models: Prog 7, Fusion 7, Metal 7, Classic 7. That being said, I prefer the (thinner) necks of all these current production models when compared to older Bodens. The sharpness in the edges in not that perceptible for this comparison IMHO.

That being said, the Singularity has a thinner neck and rounder edges when compared to all Strandberg models (old and current) that I have tried.

What sold the Singularity for me was the possibility to have such a thin neck + straight frets at 25.5 scale. For me, it makes it the best Strandberg for shred. The downside is that fanned fret models (like my Prog 7) have better tone for riffs on the low strings due to the fanning from 25.5 to 26.5 scale length.

I'm fortunate to live near the official Strandberg distributor for Canada, so I can try a lot of models (I owned a Metal 7 and currently own Prog 7 + Singularity 7).

AkiraSpectrum and stinkoman like this.
  10. bassisace

bassisace Member

Nice guitar and tone!! I saw you added your solo to the Jarred Dines contest. Good luck!!

FYI, about 1 day after you uploaded your video to YouTube and IG someone posted a solo for the contest with the same opening lick (sweep + bend) as you and with a lot of very suspicious similarities (similar minor triad arpeggios, similar harmonies and a similar ascending run st the end... all in a very similar solo structure). They say imitation is a form of flattery lol ;)

stretcher7 likes this.
  11. HungryGuitarStudent

Thank you for having taken the time to listen and for the encouragement :)

I've received a few comments/messages on Instagram and Youtube concerning the "similar" solo you are mentioning. It appears you are not alone in having noticed this.

To be honest, I haven't looked into it, mainly due to lack of time and not wanting to focus too much on negative stuff on social media.

Without having listened to the solo you mentioned, I'd say the safest bet is that it's just a coincidence that someone had similar ideas to mine.

12. bassisace

bassisace Member

Yeah I understand your point of view.

I was just suspicious since the other guy posted 1-2 days after you and opens his solo with the same lick as you and has all the similarities I mentioned (triad tapped arpeggios, ends with an ascending run, harmonies in same place, same solo structure), while the 30+ other solos that were posted don't have those similarities. I still think its very suspicious on the guy's part.

stretcher7 likes this.
  13. bassisace

bassisace Member

For your info I showed both videos to my guitar teacher and to some fellow university students in my music program.

They all basically laughed and said the other guy kinda ripped your solo structure and some of your licks. Anyhow I'll give it a rest now haha.

14. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks for the detective work ;)

At the end of the day, I don't really mind if my solo was copied or if it wasn't. It's all good.

If it was a track with which I was trying to make a living, it might be a different story.

Thanks for the support guys :)

bassisace likes this.
  15. HungryGuitarStudent

Just received my modified Singularity ! Didn't try it yet except at the luthier. Can't wait ! Lemme know what you think :)

I'll try to post a video in the future... If my photo upload failed, try my IG.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Empryrean likes this.
  16. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

Whew thats a nice swirl! Congrats!

17. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks ! It's always a gamble when ordering a swirled guitar. I guess it was worthwhile to throw the dice :)

18. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

dude your playing is great! gorgeous guitar too

19. bassisace

bassisace Member

I was hella surprised you didn't make it to the Top15 of the contest. Your entry was in my top3. Jared changed the backing track after the submission due date, so I guess some of your harmonies may not have worked on the new track. It's kinda dumb on his part. Anyhow, hope you're not down about this cause you wrote a good solo!

20. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

How would you describe the build quality on these budget strandberg?