NGD: Strandberg Boden J7 RAS Lock

Derek Spear

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been GASing for one of these for a while now; decided to finally pull the trigger after finding one for a nice price at a dealer in Tokyo. Haven't played it much, yet...but it feels about the same weight as my Strandberg Boden NX7 which I've had for a couple of months now. Looking forward to changing the strings to my regular gauge and hearing how the EMG 707Xs in the J7 compare to the Fishmans in the NX.

Guitar 1.jpg

Guitar 2.jpg

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen this knock around on the interwebs recently, looks nice!
HNGD Would be interested to hear the difference between it and the NX

Derek Spear

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks!

I've had my Boden NX7 for two months and have played it daily; it's a really comfortable guitar to play...especially for long periods of time. After playing the J7 for a couple of hours last night, I'd have to say in terms of quality...the guitar is definitely up there with the Ibanez UV77RE and M8M that I owned many years ago. The highlight (for me) is the roasted maple neck...it is just soooo smooth. It almost feels like bare wood compared to the satin finish on the NX7 neck. I also really like the gloss finish on the body...when compared to the neck, it looks almost like glass...practically flawless. Though, as a result of the gloss finish, the body doesn't sound as loud acoustically as the NX7...but it still resonates well, overall. Haven't yet plugged into my amp...saving that for this weekend. :D

Derek Spear

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd also add that the fan of the frets on the J7 is noticeably more slanted than on the NX7, but it didn't affect my playing any.