NGD Straight from the Land of the Rising Sun

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Pablo, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

I’m old... so old, in fact, that I remember lusting after the original Ibanez RG550s... whilst only being able to afford a cutting board, two rusty nails and a bit of barbed wire.
    Fast forward to 2017, and Ibanez again catches my attention with a flurry of excessively bright colours from my misspent youth.
    In short: I HAD to have one!

I ordered my RG550 in Desert Sun Yellow from Ishibashi a week and a half ago and it landed in sunny Denmark yesterday. It arrived in perfect shape - well packed and bubble wrapped with a complemetary piss-poor Ibanez gig bag.

Add a bit of colour and she’s perfect...
    Better... but still not quite there.
    Now THAT’S more like it!

Pickups are DiMarzio Breed Neck in the bridge, stock SC and a DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck - a very versatile and not overly hot setup, akin to what I already have in my main squeeze - a Warmoth Part-o-caster.

The action was silly high at both nut and bridge upon arrival and there were a couple of pokey fret ends that needed attention, but with this sorted and a mild tweak of the truss rod, she plays and sounds like an absolute dream.

I am well chuffed and feel like I’m in my early teens once again - what’s not to love about that?

Cheers

Eske

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Wow. That is pure hotness. I want one but I can't decide what colour.

Wolfhorsky and Pablo like this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Sweet score! Happy noodles!

Pablo likes this.
  4. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Nice! I can’t wait for mine to be available (American Market)

5. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Thanks man! Colour truly was my only dilemma when I saw these... and I still lust after a Road Flare Red one as well. However, I did the dadsy thing: I went for the guitar I wanted, but couldn’t get, when I was a kid... with a bit of Jem inspiration added, just for good meassure ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  6. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

HNGD! I think the all black stock look was good, but your add-ons really take it back to the late 80's/early 90's era (in a good way):agreed: Very nice!!

lewis and Pablo like this.
  7. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Are these made in Japan? Insane they are only coming with a gig bag

That being said, I too lusted after the DY 550! Looks sick

Pablo likes this.
  8. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Yeah, 550s and 570s MIJ and reissued with original decals.

Pablo likes this.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Thanks man! Yeah, I really like the stock look as well. Sadly, I don’t really gel with the V7 and V8 (I can live with the S1... for now), hence I knew I wanted to change PUs anyway, so I thought, I might as well go all out - more is, after all, more... right?
    Yup, made in Japan at the Fujigen factory - same as the prestiges. Keep in mind that the price of the new RG550s is around $875 in Japan before taxes... at that price, I didn’t need a case - I just needed a way to buy the damned thing... QUICKLY ;)

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  10. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Welcome to the early birds group :D I think I was the first to get mine, since I live like 20 minutes from the shop I bought mine at, and got it two days after release date :)

Glad you got yours :D

Pablo likes this.
  11. BigBadAl

BigBadAl Too old to Mosh

That is one hell of a guitar !
    I picked up a '91 this summer , in Sri Lanka of all places that looks just like that.
    been meaning to do a NGD for it , but I am waiting for some parts before I do.
    I found mine to be fairly "bright" how does the Breed sound in it ? put a gravity storm in mine and love it ,warms it up nicely

Pablo likes this.
  12. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Cheers man - you know you need a bit of Desert Yellow Sun to go with that Road Flare Red, right?
    As you probably know, the pictures of your RG550 is what pushed me over the edge with ordering from Ishibashi. So you now officially owe me a virtual cold one for my wife’s rolling of eyes and blank stares before, during and after the arrival of the fiddle of my youth...
    ;)
    Thank you - I am enjoying the living *EXPLICIT* out of it!

To me, the old square heel RGs tend to be both tighter, fuller and brighter than their All Access brethren. Thus ,you can usually get away with warmer pickups, without loosing definition.
    With that said, my Ibanez’ V7 and V8 pickups are a muddy mess, wheras your original RG550 had V1 and V2 pickups, which are fairly bright and slightly sterile sounding to my ears. I think we both searched for the middle ground between the two extremes and landed fairly close to one another in the process.

I too thought of using Gravity Storms (great pickups!), but basically wanted something a bit brighter and not quite as smooth.

Honestly, I am no huge fan of The Breed Bridge, which is too loose and boomey to me - it’s not quite as bad as with the Tone Zone, but it’s getting there. Frankly, I see the Breed Bridge as a slightly more sensible alternative to the Tone Zone - it’s warm and cuddly, but (in the right mix) not to its detriment.

To me, The Breed Neck works great in the bridge - it’s tighter in the bass and still has enough presence to cut through my shitty mixes, whilst retaining a smoother-than-PAF high end. Moreover, it’s obviously lower output, which matches better with single coils. Essentially, The Breed Neck is like a smoother, slightly fuller yet less honky PAF Pro, if that makes sense.

I’m looking forward to your NGD - as cool as theese reissues are, NOTHING beats the original!

Cheers

Eske

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    BigBadAl likes this.