NGD Stole Hulk's fanfret 8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by chopeth, Apr 20, 2018.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

First eight and first fan fret. I am used to RAN standars in sevens which is quite good and I got curious about ERGs. Don't have the money to make an order at the moment and if I had I'd be in doubt, you know... maybe eight stringers are not for me... perhaps I find FFs weird and don't grow on me and so.

A couple of friends and some of my bandmates told me that wasn't such a big deal, so I took the chance and bought this unexpensive Harley Benton Franfret 8. I'm getting used very very easily and quick. The guitar has it's flaws, and weighs something more than I'd like to (If I ever go custom again, I'll make a swamp ash fanfret one) but you seriously cannot ask more for the price.

The only thing I find most weird is that everytime I finish a playing session my left hand fingers are stained black, though this effect is fading everytime I pick it up (maybe that Rosacer fretboard is just painted maple as a friend suggested?)

The playability is great as the setup is very good, inspected by the thomann guys. It came tuned up, intonated and with a medium-low action. As the stock strings aren't bad, I didn't change them yet. The pickups are good enough, I need to chug more to fully evaluate, but they aren't terrible, though I'd like to throw something diferent in there after a couple of months, when I'm able to see a tech (not sure if can do it myself), especially the neck one.

First time playing while standing, it seems it neck dives a little bit, but I use padded straps so I don't care about that.

It's too soon to tell, but I thought I would even stand it for an hour and I think I'm finally keeping it. Difficult to believe, but since it came last tuesday, I don't pick any of my other expensive semicustom guitars... I hope this is because of the excitement of the new string available. IMG_20180417_143623 (Copiar).jpg IMG_20180417_143734 (Copiar).jpg IMG_20180417_143757 (Copiar).jpg IMG_20180417_143821 (Copiar).jpg IMG_20180417_143838 (Copiar).jpg IMG_20180417_143854 (Copiar).jpg

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Cool! I’m just getting into 8-string and was surprised by how quickly I got used to the extra string. Still don’t know what to do with it.

I’m also struggling a bit with neck dive. These long scales with all those tuning machines at the end... I can see the benefits of a headless for these.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

ergonomics and weight distribution are suuuper important for 8 strings. My 8 string explorer is a bit unwieldy, especially because the neck is shifted so far to the left. I don't have any problem with my thicker 8 string tele or my headless 8 strings since they have more weight in the body vs the neck. They also have shapes that are better suited for keeping the neck closer to my midline when playing classical style.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

HNGD!

I just had my very first fan fret 8 string arrive today, I normally play standard scale 6 and 7s as well so the 26-28" seemed daunting but there really not bad at all.

I hope you enjoy yours, I'm enjoying mine!

Actually I might as well ask. Does your guitar stand fit around your neck? I have a Hercules stand I bought for my 7 but this neck is too wide to fit. So I have no where to hang it but in its case.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Nice! Did you film any video demo?

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

No, haha, sold it a month later. It was a test to see if I enjoy 8strings and FF guitar. Both did and as my guitar space is very limited at home I decided to sell it and build a nice one to be kept (still thinking
    for the price NOTHING can beat it)

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Sorry, mate, went unnoticed. I use a three spot hercules holder so I don't know

8. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Got it. How was your experience? Both with 8 strings in general and with the actual guitar. Cause I was eyeballing it, but just to try and get my feet wet as well. I'm not even a good 6 string guitarist so I don't know of any use I'd get out out an 8 :lol: but it's fascinating. So, asking just to hear your pov.

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I liked it a lot. I have two awesome seven Rans, obviously much better axes than the fan-fret and I had to force myself picking them. The New string is as a new toy for me. I can't wait for the one which is being built. I also adapted easily to the multiscale thing, but at some spots I found it a little (very little) discomfort so I ordered 26'5-28. You can't get a better expirience for the money, and the guitar setup was flawless too.

Rizzo likes this.