NGD: Something slightly different for me

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
After buying the Schecter Banshee FR, I had no intention of owning any more guitars for a bit. Everything that I needed out of different guitars was covered since I only play metal/ I'm a shitty djent kid. My friends were moving into a new apartment so of course I helped them move. They have quite a bit of furniture and it took about 6-8 hours to get all the big stuff moved. Once we were all done and I was moving my buddies guitar over, he said "Hey, do you want that". I was kind of confused and said "What?". He confirmed he meant his guitar and I think I asked him about 4 times if he was sure and he kept saying "I haven't played it in over a year and I don't really like electric guitars anyway". So I got this for free.
20180325_182230.jpg

20180325_182302.jpg

20180325_182450.jpg

20180325_182356.jpg

20180325_182651.jpg

20180325_182514.jpg

20180325_182540.jpg

A guitar I really never thought I'd own. A Fender Strat. Pretty sure this is a MIM strat but there's some oddities about it. First off, it has no serial number. There are stickers under the scratch plate and the neck joint that are valid fender serial numbers when you search them up for a neck and a body but nothing outside of that. Also, everything about this guitar points to it being real. If it's a fake, it may be the best fake I've ever seen. With that said, the figuring on the neck is ridiculous. It makes me think the neck isn't a MIM neck but my friend would never know if it was or not since he's not really knowledgeable on stuff like that.

Regardless, this thing rips way better then I had thought. The old strings on it were over a year old and there was just a lot of non use that showed on it. Luckily I was able to clean it up and it's in pretty solid shape. The red paint is very vibrant and metallic and it really awesome looking. The bridge is going to need to be replaced since when I try to take it off the bar the threads were VERY crossed and it snapped off almost instantly so I'll need to deal with that in the future. The pick ups in this thing range from bad to surprising. The neck pick up is a basic neck pick up. Definitely going to replace it with some form of stacked single. I'm debating just putting a dummy in the middle position. I hate middle pick ups SOOOO much. They get in the way of my picking because of how hard I dig in and I never use the middle position for anything. The bridge pick up rips. It's great for some decent trash which is what I'll mainly be using this guitar for. It's in E standard/ Drop D with 10-52 ATM. The neck radius is more round then I'd like but I can get the action to good levels without much issue so it's good enough.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats! Strats are a blast. If you dont use the middle pickup then you're fine, no need to put a dummy one in there.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats on the Strat! From what I've seen from the 60th anniversary guitars, they don't have a serial number on the headstock, or engraved neck plate like they did for the 50th anniversary models in 2004.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
interesting. I just briefly looked it up but it doesn't look like the 60th anniversary guitars came in red. I guess it may be possible the neck is a 60th and the body is a MIM. Odd.

Edit: Nvm it totally did but it looks like it's three single coils. Still looking

Edit 2: Looks like it is a 60th although the head stock is slightly different, this looks like the most similar comparison

https://www.seattleguitarstore.com/...tocaster-mim-candy-apple-red-60th-anniversary

PBGas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is just an amazing gift! Great friend to have!

Many congrats...beautiful neck and great looking guitar!

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Wow that's awesome dude!

You'll never see me with a strat EVER (unless the Ibanez Blazer I used to have counts, but I dont even have that anymore :lol: ) but if it's free, sure, free guitars are always nice :D

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Strats are the shit! Congrats!

Split the neck and middle coil tones and that is some Bluesy awesomeness.