NGD - Something a bit special

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
I started a thread a while ago on how to waste time whilst waiting for a new build. Well, the guitar started months later than it should but now, I finally have it.

I'm hoping this will be a 'world first'. I came up with the idea in this thread of mine http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/243851-ongd-ibanez-twist.html
I did find similar examples since the build started but they were bodies only and they have certainly not gone to the level of detail originality that I have

Pics first, then details.

Woods chosen. Zebrano top with mahoghany body.
I wanted Black Limba but there weren't any pieces in the UK that were big enough which contributed to the delay.

Body blank cut.

Quick mock up for alignment with the neck and hardware.

Body routed, carved and chamfered.

Body stained. and grain filled in areas. As nice as it is, this was way off what I asked for so it had to be reworked.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/liquidken/media/Gear/V8 14_zps0kcpdget.jpg.html

Second attempt. Nailed it. Shots in different light conditions to illustrate the flip of the stain.

After getting the guitar back, it was up to me to put it together (as was my preference) so I ended up with this. The RBM8. You're welcome, Ibanez.

Finally, a shot with its little brother and inspiration.

Specification:

Ibanez RGA8 donor neck and hardware.
Custom built body of Ibanez Voyager (RBM) with Zebrano top and mahoghany body blank and AANJ with a graphite stain.
Bareknuckle Juggernaut pickups (matched set) with coiltap and direct mount custom caphead fixings.
Dunlop flush fit Straplock system.

Zeno

SZ Hunter
Reaction score
D00000000D That is badass. HNGD man! I'm digging the Zebrano top, looks really sweet

capone1

ss.org-erererererer
Reaction score
That is hot as ....!

Always thought that body was cool back in the day. Looks perfect for an 8. Time for someone to do a stoneman with their rg8 now.

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I've had a few days to play it and mess around with the setup etc so it's becoming more focused and sounding better all the time.

Acoustically, there's a massive difference compared to how it was with the stock RGA body. It's much louder, has better sustain and definition and sounds so much tighter and balanced. It has a lot of snap to it.

Through my little Vox amp (my main rig is packed up at the moment), it has incredible bite and clarity. Infact, I have to roll the volume back, particularly on clean sounds.
I'll have to experiment further with pick-up heights but the Juggernauts have been transformed after putting them in this body.
Prior to this, there didnt wasn't a great deal of difference between the neck and middle position. Now, the difference and detail of the voicing is quite startling.
They've responded very well to the new body.

Given how good they sounded before, I can only imagine what it will sound like through my big rig.

mr coffee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bahahahaha I can imagine Reb Beach trying to wrap his head around that. Looks nice though!

-m

PunchLine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hats off to Lickers! Awesome project man, congratulations and happy playing :bowdown: I love it!

It is also living proof that Ibanez still has so much to offer just by revisiting the past designs... The RBM, The Maxxas, SB70, and many many more...

Once again awesome guitar and if you can, would love to hear some sound samples.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
LOVE this build man. Its absolutely stunning, I personally think making that Fretboard ebony style with a dark stain would REALLY make that body stain/finish pop. But well done. Its stunning.

EDIT: Mockup of Ebony style Fretboard, I personally think it looks way better darker. The finish pops even more on the body. What do you think? -

Untitled_1.jpg

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Lewis, that looks great. Nice shopping skills!

The one thing I liked about the board was that it was figured similarly to the top when it was the donor guitar. When it was fitted to the body, it did appear to be a little washed out. This pic has certainly given me a lot of food for thought.

What sort of dye would you suggest? I've got an ebony board on my custom 7 string so I'm a fan of the look already.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lewis, that looks great. Nice shopping skills!

The one thing I liked about the board was that it was figured similarly to the top when it was the donor guitar. When it was fitted to the body, it did appear to be a little washed out. This pic has certainly given me a lot of food for thought.

What sort of dye would you suggest? I've got an ebony board on my custom 7 string so I'm a fan of the look already.

No worries dude.glad you like it. Well the stewmac dye is fiebings leather dye repacked. They are an identical product. EIther seem to be the most commonly used. Others have had great luck with generic furniture style stain too. If it were me i would go the fiebing/stewmac route but your probably fine with any of the dark stains/dyes tbh.

Either way dude your build here is stunning. With or without this little aesthetic change. Well done. I would love one haha.