NGD: Some Birdies coming along... and a Kitty!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by cult, Mar 9, 2015.

1. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

After I didn't vibe with my LTD SC 607B that much anymore, I decided that it was time to sell it to fund a new sevenstring, I was particularly interested in the PRS SE models.

So I posted up the LTD with a BKP and HSC for sale, got 800 Euros for it, which was more than I needed to fund a PRS SE 7 String.
    My colour of choice was Vintage Sunburst, I just liked the look of it better than any other finish for the SE series. I was tempted by the Thomann limited edition one for a moment, but I just like maple necks better with either maple or rosewood boards.

It was the third or so PRS SE I ever had my hands on and I was only able to test a black one at the local store, after having played the guitar in a black finish through a Marshall JVM and matching 412 (set up in the testing room at the store), I was really impressed by a few factors:

- The craftsmanship is by far better than I had expected it to be on a 700 Euro instrument. Especially with the bird inlays and the top on mine this became even clearer.
    - The fretwork. Spot on, almost flawless. A better polish would have been nice, but that's not much of a deal.
    - The pickups were really solid, I don't think I will swap em out in the near future.
    - The bag that comes with it looks really sturdy, didn't expect that.
    - The electronics are fine parts. The soldering is superb. The only thing I will change is the way of the split wiring in so far, that I will put resistors in the split circuitry so that the dumped coil is still on, giving it just a tad of a fatter sound.

There are a few things where the guitar is lacking a bit:

- Cheap plastic nut, needs to be replaced. Bone or TUSQ, here I come.
    - Tuners. They aren't really accurate and need replacement.
    - The headstock is glued together not consisting of 3 parts like the neck but of 5, there are "wings" glued on. I would have expected a somewhat nicer solution.

Anyways, I am happy with the purchase and couldn't have done any better. I replaced the strings with a 10-46 set and a 68 upon receiving it, but I think they are a bit floppy (I play in Drop Ab), so I will eventually get some thicker strings on there. The neck relief was set up really, really quick and I was able to achieve a really low action with a minimal amount of string buzz. The only other thing I changed until now are locking strp buttons, but that's it. Locking tuners are on their way already (Vanson). Maybe I'll get some rosewood tuner buttons or potentiometer knobs, though I don't know about that yet.

The sun showed up on Saturday just after I had the guitar set up properly, I used the chance to take some pictures.

Here are a few:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

That's the way it's almost always done, even on high-end guitars. The difference is that with those from the top shelf they'll attempt a little bit of grain matching when they place the ears onto the sides or choose more straight-grained pieces so it's less visible.

Anyways, of the ones I've seen this one has the best top on any SE by far. Sounds like you'll be very happy with this. :yesway:

3. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

You're right about that finish - looks better than all the others and while the pickup rings really bother me with all the others, they blend in very well with this particular finish. Cool to hear these are solid!

Happy NGD!

4. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

This is not helping me resist buying this one I found for cheap :lol:

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Very nice! I've wanted to test drive one of those since I first heard they were making a midprice seven.

Happy NGD! Looks great!

6. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro! I have the purple one and I love it!

7. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, I'm really in love with it as well!
    Still gotta go take her to band practice on my main amp, there I'll be setting up a proper pickup height.

8. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Awesome man, glad to see another person happy with an SE 7! HNGD!