[NGD] Solar V2.6 TBR

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MadYarpen, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I wasn't supposed to make this thread, but everyone is so positive about these guitars, and I do have some negative comments, so I wanted to share them.

[​IMG]1

Swamp ash, 25.5 scale, duncan solar, non locking tuners, the rest you can see. It comes with a very nice gigbag.

It is a beauty. With the light we have now it is difficult to make a good photo. The wood pattern is not so visible as in the official photos, but more than you can see in mine photos...

It is super comfortable, I don't know why everyone hates Vs. Probably they don't know how to hold them lol. No neckdive (a wide, 10cm strap). The output is noticeably smaller in comparison to the Nazgul, but that is something to get used to / adjust on the amp. No need to replace the pickups. They can do metal :D

Without an amp it is loud and nicely vibrates. The strings ring sooo loud behind the nut, even more than on the Xiphos and it has 1 string more.

How well is it made? I wouldn't give it 5 stars. There were two issues.

1. Some dirt got under the paint. Like grains of sand. You can see an example on the headstock in the O. Two were on the neck, where my thumb rests. One on the neck joint and the other on the edge of the body. But scale modeling skills came in handy, and with some fine sand paper they are gone, which is a relief because these marks were ruining the guitar for me.

2. It barely intonates in C# standard, with a modified 11-54 set. 3rd string is the trouble, you can see on the photo that the saddle is all the way back. Maybe it should be even tiny bit further. It is enough, but only just. As @Winspear adviced, I will use wound string but as the guitar comes from the factory, it will not take anything lower / thicker than C# tuning / 0.020p on the third string. And C#, 11-54 set on this type of guitar is nothing unusual...

But don't get me wrong. Now I want to sell my xiphos* and take V2.7 as well. It fits me better. We had a rough start (paint and setup issues), but now it is only love. For me it is a dream came true, I always wanted a V, untill now I have never found one suitable.

* - if anyone in the EU wants Xiphos 7, with Nazgul/sentient - let me know.

Photos:
    [​IMG]2
    [​IMG]4
    [​IMG]3
    [​IMG]6

Family photo:
    [​IMG]5

2. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Have you tried resting the saddle on the string that wont intonation all the way to the top and trying to intonation it again?

Sounds silly but give it a shot.

3. Russian Robot

Russian Robot Arbiter of Cheeses

That's tune-o-matic for ya. Given that limited adjustment range, sometimes you just get what you get. Great looking guitar though.

MadYarpen likes this.
  4. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

No, but I will - why not:)

Thanks. It does look great☺️

5. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Couldn't you just flip the saddle to gain a bit more room for adjustment?

6. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

This.

7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

That’s a sick xiphos though

8. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I am not sure how to take out the screw keeping it in place. Or rather the bit that keeps the screw in. I think I would need to take the bridge out. I was even also told they are often glued to the bridge in TOMs.

9. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

It's held in with a tiny circlip at the base of the screw. Just pop that circlip off (and be careful to not lose it) and the screw will come out of the bridge and the saddle along with it. Flip the saddle 180 degrees and pop the circlip back on.

Easy peasy.

bracky likes this.
  10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

That is one hell of a gorgeous guitar!

MadYarpen likes this.
  11. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I want the Xiphos but I'm broke and don't live in Europe. :facepalm:

MadYarpen likes this.
  12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

that's saved you a few headaches at least

MadYarpen likes this.
  13. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Honeymoon period, if there was any, is coming to an end. I really, really love the guitar. Not so sure about selling xiphos anymore, though. It is a killer axe.

Anyway, now I have a chance to play on a tube amp (ironball). It is so much fun. The guitar sounds great. I am using gain boost with gain knob some below 50% to have it how I like it. With nazgul I don't need gain boost, so that's the lower output I guess.

BTW, the wound string solved the problem.
    [​IMG]
    When I was changing it, I could look closely at the bridge and it is of course possible to turn the saddle around, so there was much fuss about a non-issue really. But I think the string would be bent at a different angle, and especially in this case this would be quite steep (middle strings have holes closest to the bridge). So I guess this way it is better.

c7spheres and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  14. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Just so you know, the steepness of the angle is inconsequential to getting it intonationed correctly and it won't affect the playability much if not at all.

All the strings care about is the radius of the bridge. Which will always be constant regardless of the position the saddles are set to.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Sure. I was thinking it could influence the strength, though. could it break easier that way? That string from my experience is the easiest to break.

Now it is touching the bridge in two places, BTW - the saddle and the bridge itself, so someone could find it annoying.

Anyway, the point is I had some negatives to say, and wanted to take the part back. The issue of the paint finish remains, but it was super easy to correct. So all good.

16. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Glad most of your issues turned out okay.

Out of curiosity, did you contact Solar about the issues? If so, what did they say?

17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Very nice guitar! But, keep the Xiphos! Those things are getting rare and expensive.

18. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I am very conflicted on this.

Xiphos is great, sounds massive, but the V is more comfortable for me - especially when standing. That's something I started to do recently, and to my surprise all is OK (with the V) - I always thought my wrist doesn't allow me to play this way. Now it turns out there is no issue if I do this correctly, but the Xiphos does not feel so good. it's just to big, I think. And the strap has to be substantially shorter. Also, because of the very different output I have to correct the amp settings every time. On the other hand, it is nice to have two guitars which sound so different. I don't know what to do to be honest.

Anyway, it is difficult to sell this guitar. Not a lot of people like the shape. And I will not sell it cheap, especially with the pickups it has now. So probably it will stay after all. But if someone gives me a good offer, I will seriously consider selling it.

No, I bought it from Thomann. In the end I was able to correct everything myself, and that's what I tried to do first. It would have to be some massive problem to make me send this beauty away;)