NGD: Solar A1.7FBR

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Duraesu, Apr 15, 2021.

1. CanserDYI

CanserDYI SS.org Regular

Loving the flame maple headstock on that one...

2. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Interesting, I hadn't thought about what would happen to the range of an evertune with the zone settings when it's adjusting on it's own to compensate for whatever else

Lopp likes this.
  3. CanserDYI

CanserDYI SS.org Regular

Dude yes this happens to me all the time. On a separate note, I enjoy my evertune, but ultimately I'm going back to hardtail for tuning changes and honestly finding the evertune a bit "dead" sounding. Just not as alive and responsive as a tune o matic or string through body hardtail.

Lopp likes this.
  4. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Happy NGD! That is a great looking guitar. Ola is onto something with those!

Evertunes are not too bad for set up after you read or watch a quick tutorial. I have worked on many of them. I still prefer a perfectly set-up Floyd style bridge, but that is more preference as to what I am used to having. Evertunes are certainly a reliable contender!

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

"Static" floyds (like those used on Mick Thomson's guitars) should be more popular. Perfect tuning stability, micro tuning, and none of the disadvantages associated with Evertune or Floyd Rose bridges. You just need an allen wrench at hand for changing strings and that's it.

Matt08642 likes this.
  6. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

You will also get those benefits with a non-floating Floyd Rose.

Don't forget about also needing a wire cutter.

Personally having a non-floating Floyd Rose guitar and an Evertune, I find the Evertune easier and faster to restring. The Evertune also holds tuning better than a fixed/non-floating Floyd Rose in that the Floyd Rose can go slightly out of tune when the wood of the neck and body expand and contract, whereas the Evertune will adjust to keep your axe in tune.

However, if you like to bend, your suggestion of using a fixed or non-floating Floyd Rose does have the benefit of not worrying about the Evertune going out of the bending sweet spot.

7. Emperoff

Bending is a big part of my playing (or any lead player worth a damn, for that matter), so yeah no Evertune for me. For rythm tracking, that's another story.

You can also put the ball ends on the headstock and not use a wire cutter, if you wish.

Since it's always nice to have options, and the Evertune is already widely available, let's demand the fixed floyd as well :)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Lopp and Matt08642 like this.
  8. Duraesu

Duraesu SS.org Regular

But you can bend on a Evertune, I have 4 strings on bend mode and its fine :)

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I have my solar set up so I can still do bends, but not the maximum sensitivity possible. So I have to work a little harder, but it also holds tuning better.

I'm pretty sure this is how Ola sets his up too- if you watch him do bends, it looks like he does a whole-step bend to get a half-step of pitch change.

10. Emperoff

What if I want to do bends on all strings? :)

11. Duraesu

Duraesu SS.org Regular

You can have all the strings on bend mode

12. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Yes, you can bend using the Evertune. The issue is that the amount you have to bend always changes due to the Evertune compensating for heat/humidity to keep your strings in tune. This means you do not develop muscle memory for your bends, and instead have to just use your ear because the bend amount is always changing. Either that or you always have to reset the string tension, which reduces the purpose of the Evertune because that takes about as much time as retuning.

Note that you also cannot do subtle vibrato on an unbent string unless you set it perfectly at the edge of Zone 2, but that changes with heat/humidity, so you have to "retune" it each time you pick up your guitar to do subtle unbent vibrato.

Don't get me wrong. I like my E-II Eclipse 7 Evertune, but recognize its limitations.

Set all strings in the proper Zone.

13. Emperoff

And then the Evertune loses its purpose :shrug:

14. CanserDYI

CanserDYI SS.org Regular

Evertune 100 percent has limitations. It does its job, but at a sacrifice of responsiveness. Even at it's highest tension before going into zone 3, you will feel the evertune fighting back at you to bend. It is just objectively not as quick and snappy as a hard tail. They definitely work, I'm glad I have one in my arsenal, it would be amazing for touring and tracking, but for an enjoyable experience as a guitar, not for me.

15. CanserDYI

CanserDYI SS.org Regular

Actually no? I have all my strings set on bend mode and I don't tune unless I'm changing strings. I have mine set up like a regular guitar and it's completely usable. Like I've said before a bit dead sounding and it's BS to say you'll be able to bend like a hardtail, but evertune definitely works.

Lopp likes this.
  16. Emperoff

I didn't say it doesn't work, I said it doesn't work for my playing style. Making a guitar more dead sounding and harder to bend than a hardtail or a Floyd are not good selling points for me, thanks.

Now, if I wanted a rythm tracking machine, I wouldn't mind an Evertune/EMG equipped guitar.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  17. CanserDYI

CanserDYI SS.org Regular

Oh trust me you're right on the money there. I thought you were saying it doesn't have it's evertune effects if it's in bend mode. I think for live setting and like really heavy riffing it works fine, but man I can just feel the sustain leaving, it feels like you can actually feel the springs taking away some vibrations.

Emperoff likes this.
  18. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Tone and feel are something to be aware of, which was the reason why I sold my Evertune equipped Solar pretty quickly. I just had to try how it was, maybe some day I'll have another guitar with it, who knows.

19. Duraesu

Duraesu SS.org Regular

Not at all, it still keeps everything perfectly in tune and intonated :)

20. Duraesu

Duraesu SS.org Regular

Each to their own I guess... tonewise and feelwise for me this guitar its awesome :)