NGD: Solar A1.7FBR

Duraesu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, long story short: I was considering getting back into the 7 string game but with a multiscale guitar... Since Solar does not make those I went for a Legator N7FP because it seemed nice for the price. It was a mistake. The guitar had poor QC (even had a QC Passed sticker by Thomann) with a misplaced neck and other stuff. Sent it back, got a refund, bye bye and thats it. To be fair, the neck shape was awesome.

So back to Solar...
I was lucky enough to get this beautiful A1.7FBR of the b-stock list (minor cosmetic imperfection on one of the headstock logo letters) since it was the last one and its a discountinued model from my understanding. This one has an Alder body with flamed maple veneer top all over while the current A1.7TBR has an Ash body.

This is my third Solar guitar and so far I have not been disappointed in any way with their quality and features. The neck is smooth with a nice C shape that I enjoy pretty much, its not too thin or too thick, it suits me fine. Its not a light guitar by any means, maybe due to the Evertune? Speaking about that bridge... I must confess I was very skeptical before but now I am a believer. Its easy to understand and easy to set it up. Will it be also easy if something goes wrong? I dont know, time will tell.

Pickups are the Solar Duncans, they sound good but I am already planning to get them replaced for higher output pups, Solar branded locking tuners that do their job, 5 way switch, etc, etc... LETS SEE SOME PHOTOS! (cell phone pics, dont expect that much quality)

Last edited:

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
When are these companies going to finally learn that most metal guitarists don’t want a damn tone knob anymore lol. It’s a waste of CNC time and components.
Regardless that’s a great looking guitar congrats!

Perge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When are these companies going to finally learn that most metal guitarists don’t want a damn tone knob anymore lol. It’s a waste of CNC time and components.

My favorite solution to this has been my misha HT7. The tone pot is a push pull, and pushing it in disconnects it and gives you your full tone, but you can still use it to get some smooth cleans or blues tone on the pull setting.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above post. That’s the only time I enjoyed having a tone knob was my old juggernaut. Other than that I prefer the single volume and a blade switch

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s a waste of CNC time and components

You can easily disconnect it, or better yet, replace it with a 3 way switch for extra pickup configurations. Tone pots can still be useful when playing cleans on coil split humbuckers.

On the other hand, if your guitar doesn't have a tone pot - you're mostly fucked.

I kinda do agree that tone pots are a bit archaic in certain cases. Would be neat to have a hidden tone pot in the control cavity and a 3 or 2 way switch that gives you something like off/A/B, where A and B are adjustable tone pot values of that hidden pot. Makes sense if you're using the tone pot to dull your single coils slightly.

Duraesu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

thanks! For me personally, having a tone knob is a good opportunity to change it for a second volume since I like having two of those :)

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats. It is beautiful.

Glad you are liking the Evertune. I got one a month ago. It was a little finicky when first setting it up for bends. However, it is great to not have to retune it every other day, like my others, due to changes in the weather.

Duraesu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats. It is beautiful.

Glad you are liking the Evertune. I got one a month ago. It was a little finicky when first setting it up for bends. However, it is great to not have to retune it every other day, like my others, due to changes in the weather.

thanks!

Yeah, enjoying the Evertune very much, I set up the higher 4 strings for bends, I actually think its a very simple operation :) now I want Evertune on all my guitars but its a pricey piece of gear :(

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thanks!

Yeah, enjoying the Evertune very much, I set up the higher 4 strings for bends, I actually think its a very simple operation :) now I want Evertune on all my guitars but its a pricey piece of gear :(

Ha. Not having to return each guitar would be nice.

It is a simple operation to set the strings for bending. It only becomes a little finicky when I pick the guitar up, the tension as changed, and it is in tune thanks to the Evertune. However, since the tension has changed, now the strings are not perfectly set in their zones for bending, and I don't notice until playing for a bit and wondering why it is a challenge to bend. Then I have to go put the strings back to the edge between Zone 2 and 3, which can take as much time as retuning, which we are trying to avoid in the first place. Still, it is nice when you are just practicing/playing things that do not require bending.