NGD: Smurf-Shmear Aristides Content

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, May 16, 2019.

1. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Plane-arium :lol:

Awesome guitar, man!

2. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

:shrug: I think the finish looks great.
    That description isn't very far off though. :lol:

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

It sure is a sleek looking guitar and I bet it plays fantastic.:)

;>)/

4. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

Until I read this, I was gonna say that I really like the finish! Now I can't unsee that mental image. :noplease:
    What a cool-looking guitar, I wanna try an Aristides for myself. Happy NGD!

5. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Glad to see some transparency on Aristides. While I think they are quality guitars, though not necessarily for everyone a bit niche, the hype train has been a bit too much lately and especially with some of the used asking prices you see floating around.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

My Strandberg handled its first summer last year without a single issue despite the 40+ degree days and insane humidity. I hope my Ibanez does just as well this year because that thing is a pain to adjust.

7. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Wow, that's surprising to hear. I was at least hoping to basically avoid ever having to touch the truss rod with it. We'll see how it goes.

Yea, agreed. I mean, I have M6s, so how much character was going to be left in the first place? But I generally feel the same as with my previous experience with non-Lundgren Aristides. For djenty stuff, it sounds just about perfect -- very focused, clear sound -- but not "lively", if I'm going to almost randomly make up descriptors. I would like to try one with PAFs or like lollar P90s or something and see if I feel the same way.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Like the bourgeoisie.

nedheftyfunk, StevenC and feraledge like this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Definitely quality. It's insanely well made. But yeah - it's a guitar. I don't think it's going to be immune from the effects of climate. That's been my experience anyway, but I live in a particularly hostile place right now. Back in the UK, I'd probably never ever have to tune it.

As for used prices, I don't think they're justifiable - especially now that the R range exists. You can order your own, choose your bridge, pickups etc, and there are 5 great colours for a much cheaper price and only a 4 month wait. I'd have to be fairly desperate to pick one up from Reverb at this point.

I paid about €2300 for my 060R (+tax/import), which I think is very fair. The marble finishes add €500+ onto the price, which seems crazy to me, but each to their own!

10. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I live in Seattle and I've never had to adjust any of my Aristides in 3 years.

I do agree with the rest. A guitar is a guitar, it's not some magical item that'll somehow be better than everything else.
    Aristides makes extremely high quality guitars and it doesn't mean they should always be compared ('so much better than') other guitars, especially as their very nature differs from the vast majority of other elctric guitar makers out there.

I like lightweight, resonant guitars and on the spectrum of guitars I own, my Aristides are heavier and on the louder-end.

I sold my 060 for ~2400 which I felt is a fair price for a second-hand electric guitar of this caliber. I don't believe those $3.xk+ guitars actually sell for this much, especially in today's buyer's market.

narad likes this.
  11. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Solid review and getting to a lot of my questions about the construction.
    I would probably think a lot different about these guitars if they didn't have the body divots. Would love to try one out someday though.

Genuinely laughed out loud at that one.

narad likes this.
  12. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Amazing score Jason! That's a jaw dropper!

narad likes this.
  13. Vede

Vede SS.org Regular

I don’t think these guitars are meant to be magical. I think they’re meant to not be wood. And because they’re instead made with consistent amounts of carefully measured man-made materials, every Aristides appears to be essentially identical to every other Aristides, without the big weight, resonance, and sustain variations we see with wooden instruments. Which is pretty cool. It means you’re less likely to end up with a dud.

14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You'll 100% have to tweak it at some point, but it holds better than my other instruments for sure. My 070 needed an adjustment 2 years in. And after setting up my 6 strings initially they held perfectly since then.