NGD - Shell pink, Flamed Roasted maple, and Bound Super-Tele

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by getowned7474, May 30, 2021.

1. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro

I hadn't been playing my 8 string in ages so around 5 months ago I sold my 8 string kiesel which was great but just not seeing much use. That mostly funded this project which was a stab at my current "dream guitar" I had envisioned in my head lately. I ordered a custom neck and body from Warmoth and a usual came out top notch.

I Spent a ton of time on the fretwork and neck finish and it came out super slick and high end feeling. Easily up with the best guitars I've played. 1mm action on the high Eb and 1.3 on low Eb/Db and no buzz other than the normal low action stuff you get when picking very hard.

The Ragnarok pickups are actually awesome in a tuning that isn't super low (Eb/drop Db). The chunkier sound and lower resonant peak (as compared to the juggernaut) works well for a higher tuning but they are also still very tight and mid focused. They split incredibly well since the single coils come out to like 8-9k and give a great tele-ish sort of vibe when splitting to the outer coils. The neck split on a 22 fret guitar is woody and thick and amazing. Outer coils split is very tele like and sound amazing too.

Overall a it was great investment in money and time as it's a very high end guitar in looks (in my opinion), quality, and playability. Only downside is there is terrible resale value but since I designed it to my preferences, I hopefully will have no want to get rid of it ever.

Specs:

Body:
    Chambered Shell pink warmoth tele body
    Swamp ash body and top (needed a top to cover the chambers)
    Ivoroid binding
    Forearm contour, tummy cut, and heel contour
    Single f-hole
    Pickguard mounted neck Humbucker route
    Wood mounted bridge Humbucker route
    Parchment f-hole pickgaurd

Neck:
    Flamed roasted maple fretboard and neck
    Tele headstock and neck pocket
    Stainless jumbo frets
    Wizard neck profile
    Graphtech nut
    Mother of pearl dot inlays and side dots

Hardware:
    Bare Knuckle Ragnarok Pickups
    Gotoh 510fx bridge
    gotoh 510 trad locking tuners I think 1:18 or 1:20 gear ratio
    Push/pull for split outer coils
    3 way switch

TimmyPage, AdenM, Ant78 and 32 others like this.
  2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Without a doubt the sexiest thin-line I've ever seen and that roasted flame is just out of control. Fantastic specs too.

getowned7474 likes this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

Sexy!!

Bet that neck feels way different than your 8 Haha.

getowned7474 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

They do forearm cut thinline bodies?

Oh shit :lol:

getowned7474 and Millul like this.
  5. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

Yep that's the shit right there.

getowned7474 likes this.
  6. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro

Agreed, something about the f hole and binding together felt so classy and cool I had to get it. And the roasted flame maple is such a gorgeous look. Some angles you can barely see it and some angles (interestingly In sort of dim lighting I notice) it looks absolutely crazy like the picture I showed when the neck was hanging up drying after oiling it. Fortunately for me, I noticed one of the best angles to see the figuring is from playing position.

For sure, as far as the width goes. They have a similar vibe as far as the specs go though. At this point I've kinda nailed down my prefered neck specs I think. The string spacing and neck profile is actually somewhere in the same realm though. Thin but not too thin, and slightly narrow string spacing (1.650" on this guy). Also I forgot to put it has a 16" radius.

Yes! Well sort of. They don't do forearm contours on full on thin line teles that are semi-hollow, however they do it on the chambered ones like this. The f-hole is actually like its own chamber, the wood starts right around the edges of the f hole. And then under the top there is a bunch of honeycomb looking chambers I believe. It's a little More obviously semi-hollow sounding than other chambered guitars I've played but also impressively light weight.

The contours were a big deal for me because I love the look of a tele but can't stand how it's a damn slab of wood. I wanted it to be comfortable and playable and I'm not willing to give that up really. Fortunately I was able to get all the aesthetic options I wanted, save weight and get all the contours.

Agreed.

budda likes this.
  7. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

Jesus. Fantastic

getowned7474 likes this.
  8. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Love everything... but the Rags (to each his own).

Congrats!

getowned7474 likes this.
  9. ADADAD

ADADAD SS.org Regular

Looks awesome!
    How's the bridge? does it use the standard american fender hardtail route? Does it feel any different to a hipshot?

Dave Death and getowned7474 like this.
  10. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

Handsome AF

getowned7474 likes this.
  11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

what a beauty!

getowned7474 likes this.
  12. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro

Not sure if if you have tried out the Rags before but at least in this guitar they sound surprisingly versatile. I got them mainly for the split sounds which are as good if not better than I'd hoped for but the humbucking tones are surprisingly versatile as well. When I first plugged the guitar in it was surprisingly "bland" in a way in that the frequency response was pretty flat sounding not super bright, dark, bassy, etc. It means that small tweaks in the settings on gear and you can have thick and growly sounds, tight and chunky, bright and chimey etc all pretty easily. The main downside imo is that they are pretty high output but that does help quite a lot with having great split sounds. It would be nice to have a paf sort of sound too but medium or low output pickups have mediocre split sounds at best typically.

The bridge does use the standard american fender hardtail route. It has the same dimensions on the mounting holes and string through holes. That was one of the reasons I got it and it also makes it a nice drop in replacement for a lot of guitars.

I picked up my hipshot guitar and this one side by side for a minute to see if I could help answer your question. They are 90% the same in feel to be honest. The Gotoh feels slightly better, mostly because the edges and corners on the saddles are more rounded off and smooth feeling when palm muting. The saddles are a little sharp on the hipshot, the corner in particular is kind of pokey. The gotoh feels and looks a little more refined to me. It also feels a bit more solid (although both are very robust). I can't comment on tone really because they are on two very different guitars but they should be pretty similar both being a thick brass body and steel saddles.

A hipshot would have worked just fine but I would need to call into warmoth for the custom route and after the custom route upcharge price would have been pretty similar anyways. Plus I was willing to shell out a few extra bucks on the Gotoh since I didn't want to cut any corners on this guitar and it looked nicer.

Dave Death, USMarine75 and ADADAD like this.
  13. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

How was the fretwork from Warmoth?

getowned7474 likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Wow, that’s amazing looking! If you had a trem on that I’d probably have stolen it from you, lol.

Talk with the about the fretwork. I know Warmoth stuff is high quality, but I also know they’re not going to assemble and spot grind the frets. How much did you have to do to the frets once you got the body built?

getowned7474 likes this.
  15. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

I have the Gotoh 510FX-6 bridge (in black) on my Schecter C-6 Pro. Killer bridge and it looks in great in chrome on your Tele.

On the Schecter I had to line up the string holes and then drill new mounting screw holes slightly ahead of the stock ones (actually they went through the bridge ground wire hole, but a screw going into that wire only makes the grounding better).

Overkill maybe on an Indonesian guitar but I like the basic structure of it so I also installed Bare Knuckle Black Hawks (A5 bridge option), Gotoh SG381-MGTB tuners, and Gotoh VK-18 knobs. Next to be done is rewiring with full BKP components and then it will be finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    HoneyNut, getowned7474 and USMarine75 like this.
  16. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro

Going to answer these two at once since they are similar.

Warmoth doesn't do any fretwork at all so if you wanted to slap it straight on a guitar without fretwork it won't be perfect. They just insert the frets and snip the ends and that's it. They market it as a "guitar part" more than a guitar so it's not set up and ready to throw right on a guitar really. My first Warmoth neck was pretty even on the fret heights, I just spot leveled like 2 frets I think and got decent action like that for years. Just a few months ago I leveled and crowned that neck to get it perfect though.

With this guitar I did all the fret work before even putting on the guitar. I wasn't looking to save time or anything I just wanted a perfect "boutique" feeling guitar so I did all the fretwork to make it perfect. I rounded the fret ends, did a full fret level, recrowned all the frets, and then sanded up to 12000 or something grit with micromesh pads and finished with metal polish. It was a lot of work but it makes the guitar close to perfect and any guitar will need fret work after the frets are put in anyways.

I see why they do it like this though because the neck does shift with humidity and string tension and as a result so do the frets. For instance I already need to do a little touch up on the frets on the heel since they have shifted slightly since having the neck under tension for a while. If they charged extra to do the frets they would have people complaining that the frets leveling sucks after they bolt it onto their guitar and the frets shifted around. Also everyone has different preferences on fret end styles and stuff and leaving up to the customer is not a bad idea.

The necks are expensive as a "part" but they are literally as high quality as it gets, I have had 2 necks and bodies from them and I dare you to find a single flaw. The woodwork is incredible, you just need someone skilled at fretwork and setup to have a incredible finished guitar too. I have never played a neck a clean and well constructed as theirs to be honest and I've played and owned a handful of very nice guitars.

Nice, I tried one of these in a Guitar Center but unfortunately it had typical Guitar Center setup on it so I wasn't able to get a good judgment on how it played. I really liked the feel of the neck though. I wouldn't call the upgrades overkill if the neck feels good and is sturdy, and you like the guitar. I'm in a similar boat here with the Warmoth in that it's not really helping the resale value at all getting nice hardware and pickups but I just want the guitar to be as good as it can be.

Hollowway likes this.
  17. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

I bought the C-6 Pro in new condition for less than half of new price; the guy who sold it to me had bought it for his son-in-law and then when their daughter split up with the son-in-law he returned it and an amp (apparently) that they had bought him the previous Christmas, the in-laws knew nothing about guitar gear or selling it and after initially advertising it at $900 AUD and then dropping that to $700 I cheekily low-balled with a $550 offer (expecting they might counter-offer), to which he answered "okay, but I wouldn't go any lower than that" ... they were just happy to offload it and buy a heater, even though winter was pretty much finished! So I invested another $350 or so in hardware and used a Black Hawk set that I had recently taken out of my C-1 Blackjack ATX (to install an Impulse set) ... I had paid $400 for the pickup set so I guess it currently owes me $1300, and then add on the new pots and jack I have coming for it I guess the total is more like $1400. They currently retail for $1200-1300 brand new here and the RRP is $1500, so I am still doing okay.

HoneyNut likes this.