NGD Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

pic first :)

[​IMG]

I'll make this quick. Its a great poweramp. Again, impressed due to its size and the fact that its class D (I'm starting to learn class might not actually matter). I wish I didn't return the PB100 in order to buy the PS170 because I would have loved to have tried them side by side.

Lets talk volume. This power amp gets much louder than the MosValve, just like the PB100 but, the PB100 wins the "Volume" race out of all three by a mile. That thing gets scary loud.

Lets talk controls. The controls behave more to me like having an eq in the loop than having an actual presence/depth control which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like that I can slightly scoop the mids. It sort of reminds me of what the "v" shape eq on a Mark does. The high knob is cool but, not as good as the "presence" control on the MosValve and definitely not as good as what the PB100 does. The bass knob I actually find to be more useful than the PB100 resonance control. Again, overall the controls remind me of having an EQ in the effects loop of a head.

Overall sound quality? I'd say its on par with the PB100 and both will satisfy whoever chooses to purchase them. Both of them beat the crap out of the ISP Stealth Ultralite and the Rocktron Mainline IMO.

PB100 vs PS170? I personally was slightly more impressed with the PB100. Its treble/presence control was just really nice.

The PS170 is going back and I'm just going to stick with my MosValve. I don't want to sound snooty by using esoteric/edgy adjectives but, the MosValve just has a more "musical" quality to it, and the overall clarity is just refreshing/easy to listen to. Maybe it just really likes the combination of speakers and preamp I'm using? Not sure but, I dig it a lot.

NOTE:
    Take everything I've said with a grain of salt. Don't be afraid to try the PS170 if you find a good deal on one especially if you want to do an "all pedalboard" setup. Its still the best power amp I've tried in its size range and in a live setting, I think you'd be hard pressed to hear the subtle differences I described above. At this level, we're all just nit picking. The Ps-170 is a real-deal heavy hitter in a small box and I would gig/tour one over the MosValve for its size alone. (Not that I'm good enough to gig or tour lol).

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Cool review! At least you found what works for you. probably stupid question but have you just put an eq between your preamp and the mosvalve, just to get the bass response where you like?

As for class D, look up online how it works. It’s intetesting, but I wouldn’t think it would sound great for music, if I was going on only the description of how it works.

Cheaper class D stuff can suffer from phase and distortion issues in the high frequencies, but higher end class D amps apparently use some DSP correction to fix this. And by all accounts it seems to work, people seem to love this power amp. The atomic CLR is also class D and is highly regarded. Kemper’s B&O power amp and the hypex stuff is also class D.

Might explain why you didn’t like those cheaper class D units.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I think i am actually going to grab an EQ pedal again. I had one for awhile with my 6505 and i liked it but, kept finding i actually preferred no EQ in the loop.

Anyway i am going to give EQs another shot with this setup. Probably one of the new silver and blue MXR 10 band EQ’s because of the low noise floor, although i really would want something simpler like a Boss PQ-4

And thanks for the info on class D. So basically class D really isn’t meant for guitar/music without some DSP added in correct? That makes sense. I once worked with a guy who would say jokingly say “f*** physics, just add DSP” lol

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Thanks for the writeup.

Bearitone likes this.
  5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

One more thing i want to clarify from everything above; I am not using a modeling rig. I use analog preamps. With the endless parameters in modelers these days along with the ability to model poweramp response i have no idea which of these poweramps would work best for a modeling rig. I also still don’t know what “transparency” sounds like.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Some people on the axe FX forum have compared a few flat response power amps and the matrix GT series rates high, and the power stage (with the eq flat) slightly higher amongst some. So if you want to hear flat (or as close as you’ll realistically get without buying some Bryson reference power amp) then set the powerstage eq to noon.

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Oh then I’m definitely never getting a Matrix lol. I really didn’t like the SD 170 with the controls at noon.

budda and mnemonic like this.
  8. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

What's a PB100?

9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Orange Pedal Baby 100.
    Sorry i probably should have clarified

setsuna7 and Tisca like this.
  10. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Then your next step is a Matrix.

I wish I still had my Powered Kemper w/class-D when I got my Matrix gt1000fx to compare. But didn't really like the Kemper on it's own, and wish I'd gotten the non-powered version instead.

I'll stick my neck out and say that a Matrix will sound as "musical" as your MosValve...but more transparent.

Does the Duncan PS170 have any tube poweramp simulator cooked into the DSP in there anywhere?

11. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'm really tempted to pick up a power amp for my POD, didn't know that Orange one existed as well, might have to check it out

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Nope, that comes from whatever you have plugged into it. It is just clean power.

13. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 Member

Good write up. I've used the PB100 and I think it's a good unit, definitely plenty loud! I've never used the MosValve but from what I know from folks who've used them it's much loved. For me the portability of the PS170 just can't be beat, since I mainly use it for gigging/traveling. If they were to upgrade it down the line, I would love to see a Presence control added to the PS170, I think that could improve the unit considerably.

14. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I also have PS 170 and I found it a bit lifeless and dark. It needs preamp kind of pedals in front. Or an eq pedal. I my case Strymon Riverside->Zoom MS-50G (with parametric eq)->PS170 or BE-DO-> AMT D2 (as clean) ->ZOOM & PS170. I greatly prefer my PRS MT15 head as a clean pedal platform. It is a night and day difference for me. I keep PS170 as a backup.

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I bought a Mosvalve power amp (the 160 watt version) about 10 years ago when I was using a Pod XTL in the band I was in and still have it to this day. Even though it's old and noisy (because of the fan), people (such as yourself) still say it just has a certain something to it that makes it sound good. It's just one of those things that I'll probably never get rid of.

16. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Nice review :yesway: