NGD Schecter Sun Valley SS III 7 string!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by XeoFLCL, Mar 7, 2019.

1. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Wow it's been a long while since I posted here, but for the first time in a veery long time I'm playing 7s again so here I am posting it. I actually got it earlier this month but figured you guys would be interested in a short review since I don't see many of these around and there's even less reviews (I think I only saw one on here? correct me if I'm wrong there), so I'll break the ice on this one and be as honest as I can about it since I know there's likely many people skeptical on a sub-900 dollar indonesian made guitar (though I'm personally a VERY strong believer that it's about the instrument, not where it's made but I understand the concerns) so here it goes.
    DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

I'll start with the cons first and go into the pros.
    First issue I had out of the box was how horrible the fret dressing was. I understand that this is a maple fretboard guitar and it's par for the course especially when getting guitars here in southern california, but I also own a sun valley SS (original korean made, will be visible in the following pics) and it's immediately noticeable that the fretwork on the 6 is in general much better. The frets were also slightly tarnished on the SS III 7, and that had me a bit surprised at this pricepoint, but these are all minor details that can and will happen that I personally don't pull my hair out over, but these ARE issues that some people might be unhappy with on a guitar in this pricerange, especially when the 630 dollar korean made HH variant of the same guitar in general seems to be dressed better.

However, that's where the negative points end and this is where the good stuff starts. As mentioned I own both the original Sun Valley SS and this III variant, and in terms of hardware the III 7 is absolutely amazing. Unlike the original which only really has stainless steel string lock bolts and intonation bolts to make it a sort of pseudo-floyd hotrod, it actually has an original floyd hot rod, 32mm brass block and everything. There's a pretty significant difference tonally between the original and III just because of this, anyone who's compared a special and original floyd will know immediately why this is pretty significant. As for the rest of the guitar, it's definitely pretty solid and feels very good in the hand; it doesn't feel cheap is a good way to put it. It feels VERY similar to the original sun valley super shredders, and that's exactly what I wanted, so if you've played one of those these really aren't far off other than possible shoddy fretwork, but as always I could've just drawn a rough one. I'd also like to take a second to say that these pickups are probably some of the best EMGs I've ever heard. The bridge pickup is very similar to it's 6 string cousin Retroactive 70, which I'm very happy about as I've really fallen in love with these pickups. I'm not sure what you're doing EMG, but whatever it is keep it up. Tonally they have a very distinct low mid voicing but retain the tight bottomend, pretty much ideal for the kind of stuff I play on my own time (big nevermore fan) but still distinct and diverse enough to delve into many other genres which works out very well for the band I'm on as we're playing a more alternative metal kind of gig which isn't as focused on heavier metal tones. Also I didn't mention much on the finish so I'll sneak that in here with an edit: it's beautiful. the images speak plenty do I really need to say anything? lol though I still feel the images don't do it justice I do think they get the beauty of the finish across. If anyone wants more pics I can snap a few with my DSLR once the weather clears up here, otherwise all I have is indoor pics currently.

I could probably add more but I think that's enough text to summarize my issues and not issues with the guitar.

Here's a picture of it sitting next to my ESP LTD SC-20 and original Sun Valley SS
    20190307_015217.jpg

To summarize my feelings on this guitar, I feel it was definitely worth the price for me personally as it's very close to the original sun valley with a few small compromises that were resolvable but irritating at this price, but with some great new additions to the sun valley name; being HSS 7 string(why don't more of these exist?? more importantly, why isn't schecter making a 7 string version of the original sun valleys.. oh well), original floyd w/ the hot rod package, and an absolutely stunning finish. HOWEVER, if you have 900 dollars and you're after a 7 string I don't know if I can immediately recommend getting this one since about 200 more will get you an ESP LTD SCT607B... BUUUT if you're like me and you want a VERY SPECIFIC SET OF SPECS on a 7, those being HSS, original floyd and maple fretboard I'd absolutely suggest hunting one down but be aware that it'll need a bit of a setup before it'll be at it's best.

Oh yeah, if you guys want reviews on the SC20 and original sun valley (as if there's not a million for the latter already...) let me know, I'll gladly drop one in the six string board!

2. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review!

These look super cool and have really neat specs that a lot of 7's just don't offer in this general price range. Bummer about the frets, but it seems as though you've been able to clean/fix them up without much issue.

Love the color and overall look!!

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats and HNGD man

5. Randy

Randy The Pusterienceā„¢ Super Moderator

Wall art on point

Bloody_Inferno and XeoFLCL like this.
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Like the Banshee, I would seriously consider these if they had 25.5" scale length. I know it'll never happen as Schecter doesn't ever make ERGs with less than 26.5" scale (aside from FF), but hey, a man can dream.

7. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

New waifu day! congrats.

Looks awesome.

XeoFLCL likes this.
  8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

The SSorg ERG Patrol would immediately be alarmed

9. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Yeah I've been doing setups for around a decade now so it doesn't bug me much as I have all the tools necessary to fix the sharp fret ends and tarnishing, but I can see how this might be a problem for someone who doesn't want to pay another 100 or so for a setup and to fix the rough fret ends.

I was actually concerned about this same thing since I was worried it might make it feel a bit bigger than the standard sun valley but I really don't notice it. granted I have long spindly fingers so I'm probably the exception there, I think? though after I started dealing with tendinitis issues I actually ended up selling my mike mushok sig 5 years ago so I do get it (even if that's an extreme example). I also can't really play most ibanez necks for the same reason now which kinda sucks but I found out that schecter and esp necks just work for me so everything works out in the end.

:yesway:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Absolutely beautiful fretboard !! Congrats

11. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

12. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

That's pretty interesting because the saddles are definitely not the zinc style ones from the special that's in the original sun valleys and the normal floyd rose typing is stamped on there so it's definitely fooled me. Is the 1000 built to the same specs as the original? I'm actually a bit confused as to what the difference is between the 1000 and the original since floyd rose's website really doesn't clarify on specifics (I don't think it was even listed on there when I looked).. and my hand and ears are telling me it's an original floyd so I'm really unsure on what the deal is with the 1000. More info would be really nice if you have some!

EDIT: I did a bit more searching and found some forum posts explaining that the 1000 series is indeed built to the same specs as the original except it's made in south korea instead of germany and someone saying that it's an "official" floyd? Regardless I'm really happy with it and it feels exactly like and has that bright punch an original has, so that's extremely confusing to my hands and ears. I kind of wish floyd rose would list and clarify on these points since info seems really sparse on the 1000 and 1500, all I know about the 1500 is that jeff loomis has one in his new jackson kelly sig and some people were asking why he had a 1500 installed and he stated for the arm lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  13. AcousticMinja

AcousticMinja String Theorist Contributor

That's a nice guitar you've got there :D

XeoFLCL likes this.
  14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

The x000-series floyd rose has a bit thinner base plate than it's german counterpart. The arm assembly isn't as tight as it is with the ofr, or atleast it used to be a bit more lose. And by this I mean the tolerances, so when you used the whammybar it had a little bit more "play" to it, making flutters etc worse than on the ofr. Don't know if this is the case anymore, I haven't played these newer ones.

XeoFLCL likes this.
  15. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Also... Hnnnnnng! God damn that's one sexy fiddle. Hss and a seven... Wow. Congrats!