NGD Schecter Nick Johnston USA (Again)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Cheap, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Pics first, story below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bit the bullet and grabbed another Nick Johnston sig after regretting selling my green one off awhile back to chase something else that didn't last. I spent a few years trying as much as I could and am happy to land back here--there just hasn't been another guitar out there that works as well as this one does for me so far

Initially, Sweetwater was going to get one ordered with the subatomic set (lower output wind), but I have a ton of recordings of the first issue atomics that are what I'm after anyway so I thought why wait when they have a few in stock ready to go

These now come with a certificate of authenticity which I think is pretty cool. There hasn't been much of a change (of any significance anyway) since I last had one. The neck is still super shreddy but not pencil thin, the tuners continue to rule and feel hefty and robust, and the 510 bridge remains my favorite out of everything--especially with how this is set up from the factory. You don't need a bar and can just yank it with your hand for detuning or press down on it to go up in pitch--super cool!

I put in some FU-Tone silent springs, replacing the 2 noisy standard ones installed by default and dialed in the trem to be real easy to move, but to hold steady in place so as not to have to tune every 5 minutes or modify my right hand technique

The small details like the sickest inlays ever (now in silver instead of gold) and the matching silver side dots really pull everything together. That along with the mint pickguard and aged covers/knobs keep this thing super sleek. I think I read that Nick used a weapon from the Witcher as a reference for the inlays when these first came out, but this one feels more in line with Geralt. Plus 100 sick points

I've got it tuned to open D major (the main tuning on all my guitars at this point) and it sounds like a big ass piano. Definitely one of the liveliest guitars I've had

2. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

Good lord, that neck is stunning. Really complements the body finish. Curious how it feels compared to a typical maple neck.

HNGD!

3. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Great guitar! The white is my favorite and I am glad you like it so much. As someone that owns 4 USA Schecters with a masterworks build in process, I don't think they are easy to beat at any price. I played an aged traditional the other day and it was fantastic. Enjoy that great guitar every chance you get!

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Absolutely stunning, HNGD!

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

OMG that is absolutely stunning!

That wenge neck is to die for!

6. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Tasty fretjob. HNGD.

7. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Dig the necks on these! HNGD glad you got a fav guitar back

8. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Really the most beautiful guitar i have seen for years :sponge:

9. bloodjunkie

bloodjunkie SS.org Regular

Wow definitely the nicest Schecter I've ever seen!

10. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

dat neck doe
    HNGD

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I absolutely love these things HNGD!

12. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

These look like a joy to play. HNGD

13. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Wow!! Stunning guitar! HNGD!

14. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

One of my favorite production guitars - gorgeous to look at, plays incredible and it's the best two point trem on the market. Nicely done, HNGD!

15. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot ยป Supra-ise!

Probably one of my favorite production Strats out there at the moment. So tastefully thought out. Congrats!

16. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping my impulsive tendencies won't get the best of me on this one and it'll stick around for the long run. You really can't beat it for what I'm after in a modern guitar. It takes my number one slot beating out the artist built PRS, a Suhr, any EBMM, and an Eric Johnson sig I'm currently trying to move along. Super killer for my needs

I'm surprised at how equally fast feeling my Fender EJ Sig neck is. The benefit I've found with the wenge is that I never need to wipe it down (I have fairly acidic sweat) and it seems to stay fast no matter how long I play it. The wood grain is super pronounced on this one and I far prefer it to a Musikraft maple tru oil/gun stock wax neck I finished mid last year. The Schecter has the most friction-less playing experience I've found anywhere. Also, the chocolate look is to DIE for :wag:

What I love about Schecter USA is that, in addition to the amazing and underappreciated guitars they produce, their customer service is phenomenal. Michael C. gave me a lot of his time when I ordered my Atomic Green one when these were first launched and it really went a long way to solidifying a favorite spot of mine. I imagine if I were to spec out something custom I'd have no problems going with them. Do me a favor and don't push me over that ledge! Haha

I'd love to get my hands on one of the HSS diamond series models to have a backup for it. That pink one calls out to me in the night.. I've had this bridge on these Schecters and on a Suhr Modern and it's definitely my favorite out there unless I want the Bigsby thing, but that's what I've got my Heritage for. This bridge with a 2 spring set up is one of those 'anything goes and it's effortless' things

FretsOnFyre and secretpizza like this.
  17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I am really pleased to see this review as this model has piqued my interest as of late.

18. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

What brought me to it originally was how it keeps the traditional feeling and covers any s-type ground you want, but has the weirdo neck woods and fat as hell pickup set. It's not plinky or thin at ALL--my EJ sounds like a plastic wind up tinker toy in comparison (acoustically too). Then they put one out in white so that was my game over man moment..

I'm switching around my recording rig and waiting on a few new things to come in so once that happens I'll be writing and recording with this just about daily so I'll be sure to post sounds as I have them. The trouble with this model is finding quality demos that aren't Nick playing because he pretty much sounds like that even on a Les Paul

19. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

You hit the nail on the head with describing how effortless they are to play...like buttah.
    All the USA stuff and Masterworks are in the same league especially of late. Schecter keeps getting better and better. It's why I left the J Customs and EBMM in the first place. There are many awesome builders out there, but bang for buck, I have not found any that can beat Schecter USA.

So the thought of having one built to my exact specifications in regard to neck profile, joint, switching, etc...I couldn't pass it up.
    When guys like Shegeki, Tetsu, and Gaudesi retire the guitar building world will have a BIG void to fill.

20. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

That's a killer looking Strat. Lots to like there, neck is a beauty and that's some great fretwork. I love Nick's playing btw...way underrated.